Cleveland Signs Gaines

MWil23

1 minute ago, CBrownsman said:

From what I was hearing I thought the other CB would be TJ Carrie.

He played in the slot in Oakland but is planning on being a boundary corner this year.

I think this may spell the end for Jamar Taylor on our team, but they may let him compete and we will see.

It at least opens up the possibility to take the BPA and not overdraft someone based on need.

I'm with you. I think Jamar gets cut.

6 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

So Gaines/Carrie starting then or what (pending draft). Taylor, Mitchell, BBC fighting for two spots I’d imagine. Not sure they’d have even thrown money at Mitchell if they knew Gaines was coming, but I’m not complaining. He’s decent for depth. It does seem that we don’t have a #1 CB but do have a few capable CBS now, which is more then we could have said for last year. I’m interested to see Gaines’ contract. I’m all for trying to get a potential CB1 via the draft but only if it’s BPA and not a positional pick. To me, this would seem to eliminate thoughts of Ward at 4 or Ward over Chubb. 

Gaines/Carrie starting.  BBC as the nickle CB.

I think Taylor and Mitchell fight for a draft spot, but my assumption is Mitchell or Taylor will end up the dime...

This may mean the end for Taylor on the browns, drafting a CB in the first two rounds certainly would...

Just now, NateDawg said:

If he’s not in the plans, I’m all for using him as bait to move up in the draft at some point.

200.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=8939293

Just now, NateDawg said:

He’s at least a roster caliber CB though a bad starter.

giphy.gif

and if I'm not mistaken...Gaines' PFF grade (86.6) was better than McCourty's (83.9) so you know that means he's better....PFF is god....there's no reason to watch film...(heavy sarcasm)

As Darnold is the 3rd best QB according to PFF....he is the 3rd best QB in the draft on film....and that's the bottom line....cuz PFF says so...

6 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

and if I'm not mistaken...Gaines' PFF grade (86.6) was better than McCourty's (83.9) so you know that means he's better....PFF is god....there's no reason to watch film...(heavy sarcasm)

As Darnold is the 3rd best QB according to PFF....he is the 3rd best QB in the draft on film....and that's the bottom line....cuz PFF says so...

I like PFF because it allows me to look at a single number and get an idea if the player sucks in their opinion as opposed to having to read a 10k work essay on every player that some draft gurus provide.

;)

Love the signing 

really interested to what we think about Carrie

is he outside or nickle?

Gaines is for sure outside

Carrie brings out a hole the outside if hes a nickel 

If hes outside than is that his best position will he get abused? If not thatd be good because then we have him and Gaines outside BBC to start in the middle then we can develop an outside corner to then more Carrie inside 

26 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Lol yes yes MC, angry sarcastic remarks to PFF aside, what do you actually think of Gaines.

I don't think they would have signed him if they didn't get the okay from his old Defensive Coordinator Williams...

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I like PFF because it allows me to look at a single number and get an idea if the player sucks in their opinion as opposed to having to read a 10k work essay on every player that some draft gurus provide.

;)

I love statistics, analytics, and truly believe PFF does a great general service for football fans.

It's just nowadays most people cite PFF as the sole reasoning behind their opinions on football players when a lot of times PFF film coders/graders have it really wrong on certain players and/or don't align their grading/coding schemes in ways that translate to on-field performance metrics in traditional football scouting analysis.

I like to look at PFF as much as anyone, but what's done over there has be taken with a grain of salt and unfortunately often leads to fan misunderstandings where they believe "a higher grade, means the player played better."

I like taking shots at PFF for that as well as the fans that cite PFF without ever watching the players..mainly b/c it's fun...

11 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

Lol yes yes MC, angry sarcastic remarks to PFF aside, what do you actually think of Gaines.

I don't think they would have signed him if they didn't get the okay from his old Defensive Coordinator Williams...

It's a really solid signing assuming Gaines can stay healthy.

He's a far superior player to McCourty...he's more aggressive, smaller, quicker, and really competes during the whole duration of the route.

The bad...he's often injured, he's a little stiff in the hips and despite his size is better on the boundary than in the nickel as he has trouble swing open his gate and running, and flipping his hips fluidly.

He has the necessary ability to forget about his last bad play and make a big one in the now as he's often gotten beat badly then rallied back to make a critical game momentum shifting PD or INT.

His tackling is really bad and he prefers to use the sideline to push people out of bounds rather than form tackle in the field.

Right now I'd see TJ Carrie and EJ Gaines/Howard Wilson as our starters on the boundaries....with Mitchell or BBC serving as our nickel DB.

It means if we add a talented CB1 like Mike Hughes or Denzel Ward...we could have a highly competitive secondary.

Archived