Eagles DE Michael Bennett has warrant for his arrest

49erurtaza

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Just so we're clear though - does that become felony assault?

If it's not a felony, his career probably is unaffected.   With a felony...you get the idea.

Read my post above. It’s a felony because of the victim (elderly, physically disabled). 

Knowingly, intentionally, recklessly, or negligently all get swept under felony charges when dealing with a victim of that description (also with children). There are degrees to it, depending on the distinction, but all felonies in TX.

EDIT; When it comes to physical violence and assault*. I should clarify that.

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

and for those too lazy :)

I'm sorry but this simply doesn't add up. The investigation has been going on for 14 months, took place at an NFL venue at their biggest event of the year, and nobody was aware? The only way I can wrap my head around that being feasible is if the investigating agency never contacted the NFL in any way OR the employee at the league office who was communicating with said agency never ran it up the chain of command. Just doesn't make sense to me.

For those of you who have legal backgrounds, would there even be charges against Bennett if this woman was a 64 year old paraplegic? 

My understanding of this is that the felony charge is coming from her being 65+. 

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Read my post above. It’s a felony because of the victim (elderly, physically disabled). 

Knowingly, intentionally, recklessly, or negligently all get swept under felony charges when dealing with a victim of that description (also with children). There are degrees to it, depending on the distinction, but all felonies in TX.

EDIT; When it comes to physical violence and assault*. I should clarify that.

That's helpful, much appreciated - but it also adds a TON of context, no?  If it's negligent, the likelihood this sticks, depending on the degree, right?

The fact that it took 14 months suggests a fair amount of complexity to the degree to which it meets the criteria - certainly for indictment, but let's be realistic.  We're interested in likely outcomes here, given it impacts his career most if it sticks as a felony.

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I'm sorry but this simply doesn't add up. The investigation has been going on for 14 months, took place at an NFL venue at their biggest event of the year, and nobody was aware? The only way I can wrap my head around that being feasible is if the investigating agency never contacted the NFL in any way OR the employee at the league office who was communicating with said agency never ran it up the chain of command. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Neither the NFL nor Bennett had an interest in making this public. Was there a gag order ? battle over release of the video ?

7 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Yeah, I don't know. 

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

That's helpful, much appreciated - but it also adds a TON of context, no?  If it's negligent, the likelihood this sticks, depending on the degree, right?

The fact that it took 14 months suggests a fair amount of complexity to the degree to which it meets the criteria - certainly for indictment, but let's be realistic.  We're interested in likely outcomes here, given it impacts his career most if it sticks as a felony.

There’s definitely a ton of context. It all depends on if they can prove his intent and the seriousness of the injury. Those two factors really determine the degree (state, 3rd, 2nd, 1st - in order from least seriousnti most). 

When it comes to likely outcomes...he’ll probably settle or plead out. Most of the cases happen that way.

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Neither the NFL nor Bennett had an interest in making this public. Was there a gag order ? battle over release of the video ?

The NFL could have privately informed the Seahawks, though. Not like they had to tweet them the news or something. Just seems odd, then again it's the NFL.

24 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

People like that work security for events like that all the time, honestly. Security teams for sporting events are HUGE, and they're mostly just there for show. They're not actually expected to be able to take on a bouncer style role of physically restricting anybody, they're really just there to direct traffic, where a bright uniform that says they're security and show that what they're blocking is off limits, and that's really it. They're security in the sense that the guy at the front desk in a Best Buy who checks receipts or a Wal-Mart greeter are security. You can have people that are elderly or that have mental or physical disabilities, because they're not expected to have to do anything security wise. Because most people aren't stupid or angry enough to actually physically do something to them. But you're not going to have the stereotypical image of security personnel fill out that entire staff. Doesn't pay well enough for that. And they need too many, for that. Heck, sometimes they'll pull volunteers, too. Not even just paid staff.

I go to several St. Louis Cardinals games every season.  I have yet to see an usher that wasn't older than my parents.  There are areas where certain tickets grant you access.  I could smash my way through the old ladies checking these tickets, or  I could act like a civilized human being and show them my ticket and go the route that they tell me to.  Guess which I choose every time?

You guessed wrong! My name is David Bennett and I do what I want, when I want, to whom I want!  And don't even think to try to correct me on my behavior, I am the real victim!  Screw those old people! I punch their faces in, nobody tells me where to sit!

Archived