What are the G-Men doing at #2?

Duke5217

The trade of JPP to Tampa seems to have people thinking the Giants are going Bradley Chubb at #2. I'm of the opinion that if the Giants keep the pick it must be because they like a QB. I think any combo of Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson in NY would be good for the Giants. But if they really aren't taking a QB at #2, I'm of the opinion they should take whatever trade down they can get, provided it's fair, and get out of there. If Buffalo or Arizona really offers three 1st round picks don't you think you take it if you're New York? Or if you can get three 2nd rounders from Denver like Indy got from the Jets to move down 3 spots. If you aren't taking a QB at #2 I don't get why you would stay there. Thoughts? 

@BleedTheClock   ninja edit a 2 there.

If they stay at #2, I expect them to draft a quarterback.  Honestly, I think the JPP trade makes it more likely they're going to stand pat.  That extra third round pick allows them to get a QB in the first round, either a CB & RB in the second & fourth rounds and then double up on linebackers in the third round. 

2 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Adding Barkley gives them an unreal stable of playmakers, I don't think they pass that up.  They probably "should" take a QB if they like him enough, but I'm not convinced they will.

You're right about that, @bananabucket, and I would agree. The only problem for me and other long-suffering Giants is that their blocking has been so pathetic that I think they could have Barry Sanders rushing, and Dan Marino throwing to Randy Moss, and still have a lousy offense- unless they fix that O-line! They're obviously cognizant of the problem, having let two starters (Pugh and Richburg), and their best run-blocker (Da Fluke) escape as free agents, but who thus far has replaced them? O-Mamma! and Greco-Roman and Jon Tilapia- that's not going to rival the Cowboys' line, fer sure. Okay, Nate Solder- solid veteran. But if they think that moving Ereck "Faded" Flowers from left tackle to the right side will mask his pass-blocking adventures, well.........

So Saquon- great! But they've got to get a couple (at least) of good O-linemen.

I just see too many holes on this team to justify taking Saquon Barkley--a runningback--that high.

They need to fix their putrid OL, find another pass rusher, get 2 new starters at LB'er, add another cornerback, and find a free safety. Plus their QB situation is unsettled beyond this year (that's being generous).

They need to take the QB and begin a full-style rebuild around Rosen to Beckham & Engram.

7 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Adding Barkley gives them an unreal stable of playmakers, I don't think they pass that up.  They probably "should" take a QB if they like him enough, but I'm not convinced they will.

It's the Giants, Pass Rushers and Lineman are all they know how to draft. Chubb and Nelson in a trade down is what I'm expecting, Giants are just waiting until draft day to trade down.

10 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

It’s 1 of 3 possibilities.

1. Find a trade partner.

2. Draft Nelson

3. Draft Chubb.

thats it and I like all 3 of those options. We aren’t taking a QB and nor should we.

I have to ask then.... what exactly is your plan moving forward at the QB position? This very well could be Eli’s last competent year in the league and then he’s out and you’re in the same position next season, but with potentially no QB prospect the same caliber available. 

I’d be shocked if Dave didn’t draft a QB there. It’s extremely similar to me as the Bears situation last year. No one, and I mean literally less than 10% of the fan base wanted Trubisky at #3. Let alone #2. Go into our forum right now and find me one single person in there that would NOT take Trubisky at #2 now.

42 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

It’s 1 of 3 possibilities.

1. Find a trade partner.

2. Draft Nelson

3. Draft Chubb.

thats it and I like all 3 of those options. We aren’t taking a QB and nor should we.

IF you don't utilize that pick to extract as much value out of it, you've wasted your pick.  Nelson's positional value doesn't lend itself any favors to being picked that early, and Chubb better be one of the elite pass rushers in the NFL.  Either draft your franchise QB at 2 or sell of your pick for the most value.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

IF you don't utilize that pick to extract as much value out of it, you've wasted your pick.  Nelson's positional value doesn't lend itself any favors to being picked that early, and Chubb better be one of the elite pass rushers in the NFL.  Either draft your franchise QB at 2 or sell of your pick for the most value.

Now it may be you can’t get as much value as IND because you may only have 1 trade partner if you have to get Chubb (1.4) or Chubb / Nelson (1.5).   IND had multiple suitors for 1.3 and they were happy to stay at 1.6. 

If NYG wants Chubb and only Chubb they are stuck waiting for CLE to finish their trade exploration with BUF.   If BUF is at 1.4 then DEN-NYG becomes a viable trade where they can still get their guy and get extra value.  Who knows they might want to stick at 1.2 if CLE takes Allen to pick Darnold.   It’s all lying season in that regard (but saying you want QB clearly gives the most value to that pick trade wise). 

NYG controls the draft board now that we know CLE is going 1.1 QB.   But how willing they are to move depends on if they are stuck on 1 guy.   If they are it does limit the range they trade to.   And if it’s only 1 nonQB guy then they have to wait to see who CLE picks and then if they move off 1.4 with BUF.   If they are ok with either Chubb or Nelson then we would see an earlier deal.   I suspect we will only see a Draft night deal given the above if they don’t do QB. 

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Now it may be you can’t get as much value as IND because you may only have 1 trade partner if you have to get Chubb (1.4) or Chubb / Nelson (1.5).   IND had multiple suitors for 1.3 and they were happy to stay at 1.6. 

If NYG wants Chubb and only Chubb they are stuck waiting for CLE to finish their trade exploration with BUF.   If BUF is at 1.4 then DEN-NYG becomes a viable trade where they can still get their guy and get extra value.  Who knows they might want to stick at 1.2 if CLE takes Allen to pick Darnold.   It’s all lying season in that regard (but saying you want QB clearly gives the most value to that pick trade wise). 

NYG controls the draft board now that we know CLE is going 1.1 QB.   But how willing they are to move depends on if they are stuck on 1 guy.   If they are it does limit the range they trade to.   And if it’s only 1 nonQB guy then they have to wait to see who CLE picks and then if they move off 1.4 with BUF.   If they are ok with either Chubb or Nelson then we would see an earlier deal.   I suspect we will only see a Draft night deal given the above if they don’t do QB. 

Honestly, I'm really wondering if the Giants dropped the ball on this one or they were asking too much.  Right now, I only really see one team whose going to have the assets (and probably willingness) to make that kind of move that is going to incentivize the Giants to move down.  And that's the Bills.  You have to assume that the Jets were negotiating with the Giants and Colts before they struck the deal with the Colts.  And you have to figure that Buffalo was negotiating as well.  So let's assume that Buffalo offered a similar deal to the Jets, what incentive did the Colts have to take the Bills' offer over the Jets' offer?  None.

I'd be willing to bet that even if Cleveland takes the Giants' preference at QB, there would be at least one team whose willing to make a significant trade up the board.

Archived