What are the G-Men doing at #2?

Duke5217

People keep acting as though the Giants didn't already upgrade the LT position with Soldier? As though they don't "if" they choose have numerous 1st/2nd Rd graded OL at their disposal sitting their in 2 picks? Hernandez, Williams, Daniels, Brown, O'Neil?

What they didn't have and haven't had since there last SB is a legit RB/Running game. Saquon instantly fixes that. Instantly takes pressure off Eli. Instantly opens up passing lanes for there WR's. Instantly forces DC to game plan accordingly.

He's the one player I didn't want them taking. Bad enough facing Zeke 2x a year. Bump Saquon as well!!

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

People keep acting as though the Giants didn't already upgrade the LT position with Soldier? As though they don't "if" they choose have numerous 1st/2nd Rd graded OL at their disposal sitting their in 2 picks? Hernandez, Williams, Daniels, Brown, O'Neil?

What they didn't have and haven't had since there last SB is a legit RB/Running game. Saquon instantly fixes that. Instantly takes pressure off Eli. Instantly opens up passing lanes for there WR's. Instantly forces DC to game plan accordingly.

He's the one player I didn't want them taking. Bad enough facing Zeke 2x a year. Bump Saquon as well!!

Up grading just one spot on the offensive line to above average  is not enough. We have a  tiny center. I have no idea who is going to be the starters  at either OG spot or the RT.  I don't believe Saquon is going to be able to do anything behind our offensive line.

1 hour ago, Go_Giants said:

Up grading just one spot on the offensive line to above average  is not enough. We have a  tiny center. I have no idea who is going to be the starters  at either OG spot or the RT.  I don't believe Saquon is going to be able to do anything behind our offensive line.

Well thats just silly. He can do a hell of a lot behind our line as it is right now. We still need to improve it with young talented players; it has been bad for too long. We are in prime position to do so tonight. 

6 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

We still need to improve it with young talented players; it has been bad for too long. We are in prime position to do so tonight. 

You're right about that, @minutemancl- Giants have a big chance to add a good O-lineman with their 2nd-round pick tonight- I'm hoping it's Hernandez; Williams could be an upgrade at RT; Daniels is a good prospect at center; leery of Orlando jr. myself- and, potentially, another with one of their 2 third-round picks. Have heard enough about "Hog Mollies" these last few months- now's the time to do something!

37 minutes ago, bzane said:

You're right about that, @minutemancl- Giants have a big chance to add a good O-lineman with their 2nd-round pick tonight- I'm hoping it's Hernandez; Williams could be an upgrade at RT; Daniels is a good prospect at center; leery of Orlando jr. myself- and, potentially, another with one of their 2 third-round picks. Have heard enough about "Hog Mollies" these last few months- now's the time to do something!

Gettleman and Shurmur made it a point to say, unprompted, that the OL needs to be fixed back when they were hired. Both place a huge emphasis on all 5 positions there. I'd be stunned if they don't go OL early and often tonight, especially with the way the value is lining up and the statement they made by taking an RB at 2. The only way they don't go OL at 34 is if Landry was cleared and they've got him rated highly, or someone like Josh Jackson was their #2 overall corner or something like that.

No matter how good an RB is i just don't like a RB at #2 overall. However i can see them not picking a QB if they don't believe the available QB's will be a top 5-10 QB in their career. 

I would have gone for a trade down if you don't go QB.

Fwiw, my cousin says we should be thanking Dave Gettleman (she used to work for him in Carolina). Her words: “Dave made a lot of enemies last night”

Why? 

“He wouldn’t even talk to teams that were calling.

Told Rita to ignore all incoming calls.” 

Figured I'd add this in here. 

The Giants telegraphed their pick, but nobody was listening.  From day 1 the new management and HC have been talking about how Eli has plenty of gas in the tank, and they need to improve their running game.  One of the guys on NFLN mentioned the giants have had a top 15 running game only once in the past 7 years.  Another stat I saw was only the jaguars were worse over the last 5 year stretch.  Barkley instantly changes the giants running game from pitiful to respectable.  A mauler OL tonight will further improve the Giants running game fortunes.

I must say I am getting a good laugh at Gettleman ruffling the feathers of analytics community.

Now I am for analytics, but even I am getting tired of this herd mentality by these wannabe hipsters. Yes, QB is more valuable then RB. But that doesn't mean **** if you don't believe the QBs are franchise caliber players. 

Personally, I would have taking Chubb, but I have no problems with the Giants taking Barkley. 

9 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

Well you're not upgrading just one spot. Soldier already did that. You throw a OG like Hernandez next to him the left side is set. 1/2 dozen other options as well. Let alone Drafting 2?

This idea you have to have a Dominate OL to run the ball is absurd. Just ask David Johnson and AP. Yes it absolutely helps. Did with Dallas 2 years ago and did last season with the Eagles Trio. Doesn't mean it's a necessity.

However not many of those teams with dominant OL's have the Weapons the Giants do. It was hard enough to stop the passing game without the Giants having running game. Withoit Eli having a reliable crutch to take pressure off. So now Defense's have to pick their poison. Stop Saquon or Stop OBJ/passing attack. Can't do both. Can't stack the box, can't DBL OBJ. I'm sorry but Darkwa wasn't that answer!

As for the whole can't draft a RB at #2 BS, please stop. There's no difference between Drafting a RB at 2 then there is at 4. I Know for a fact both Dallas and Jacksonville don't regret their choices the past two seasons.

Unfortunately for the rest of the NFCE the only thing stopping Barkley from becoming Great, would be injury.

I hate you all.?

4 hours ago, game3525 said:

I must say I am getting a good laugh at Gettleman ruffling the feathers of analytics community.

Now I am for analytics, but even I am getting tired of this herd mentality by these wannabe hipsters. Yes, QB is more valuable then RB. But that doesn't mean **** if you don't believe the QBs are franchise caliber players. 

Personally, I would have taking Chubb, but I have no problems with the Giants taking Barkley. 

There were at least 2 franchise QBs taken last night. Saquon, regardless of how he turns out, is not worth passing on those 2 QBs. You can find good RBs in the 4th round. 

6 minutes ago, celestial said:

There were at least 2 franchise QBs taken last night. Saquon, regardless of how he turns out, is not worth passing on those 2 QBs. You can find good RBs in the 4th round. 

The Giants obviously don't see it that way. 

You have to trust your board and your evaluations. If you don't think any of these guys are franchise QBs then don't make the pick. One of the worst things you can do as an evaluator is talking yourself into a QB, that is how you end up with guys like Locker and Gabbert going top ten. 

1 minute ago, game3525 said:

The Giants obviously don't see it that way. 

You have to trust your board and your evaluations. If you don't think any of these guys are franchise QBs then don't make the pick. One of the worst things you can do as an evaluator is talking yourself into a QB, that is how you end up with guys like Locker and Gabbert going top ten. 

Well, the Giants FO are wrong and made an oversight in missing on the 2 franchise QBs last night. Any evaluator that can't evaluate or talks himself out of a franchise QB should be fired. When it comes to QBs, it's easier to get it right than wrong in the top 5 picks. An evaluator has to know that. 

Archived