What are the G-Men doing at #2?

Duke5217

10 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

I’m not trying to convince myself of anything. I see no value in drafting a QB, if you have no intention of playing him this year. Drafting at #2 is drafting for the present and the future, taking a QB is for the latter. Build around the QB first.

Use your second pick (or trade up) and draft Lamar Jackson.

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I hate this OT class. My favorite OT's are Brian O'Neill for the LT position and then Orlando Brown for the RT position.

I also hate this OT class, Williams seems like the only first rounder worth a look and that will be somewhere in the late middle of round 1.

I would not touch Orlando Brown with a ten foot pole, he will eat himself out of the league within 2 years and never be a starter in the NFL, unless some HC gets ahold of him and gets his life completely turned around. Unfortunately this is very rare!!!

We don't need a RT...we already have 3 capable starters there. But Orlando Brown is going to be a good player in the NFL contrary to everyone's recent incredible overreactions.

IMO, it has been an under reaction to Brown. As I said above, he is headed for the ash can unless some HC can get through to him and a light goes on, otherwise it is 2 and done!

We probs need a LT, but I don't think he'd dethrone Shon Coleman. O'Neill is an awesome athlete that plays hard, but his form is a nightmare. Habitual lunger that isn't worth a 1st round pick.

Needs an awful lot of work on his strength, but with time could turn out to be a very useful starter!

McGlinchey is horribly overrated, especially as a LT prospect that will be asked to constantly mirror speed rushers. No thanks to overrated RT McGlinchey.

I am in complete agreement, McGlinchey is a mediocre pass blocker who will really struggle at the next level.

Obviously, they have 3 options:

1) stay at #2 pick and draft their QB of the future, 

2) (a) Trade the pick to Denver, Buffalo or Arizona and start their rebuild with a lot of extra picks or (b) after the first trade, then trade with Cleveland for the #4 QB in the draft!!!

3) Draft Barkley or another position player, maybe Chubb and go for broke next season!

My money is on #1, but it certainly not worth a big bet!!!

47 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Does the JPP trade really change anything? If anything i think the Jet trade changes their chances at landing a haul in a trade down because it seems likely QBs go 1 & 3.

Most current (analyst) mocks seem to be of the opinion that the Bills will be trading up to 6 with us and we'll trade down again. I wouldn't count out the Bills trying to go up to Number 2 just  yet though. 

I suppose it depends who the Bills want but I would say the Bills are the only QB needy team I see going for the 2nd pick, as I don't see teams such as Arizona paying the draft capital required to move up there.

So in short I agree that I feel the Giants options of a trade down are looking slimmer. Not that that would be a bad thing for them with so many options at 2. 

11 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

IMO, it has been an under reaction to Brown. As I said above, he is headed for the ash can unless some HC can get through to him and a light goes on, otherwise it is 2 and done!

I think you should change your user name to Iamgerman

2 hours ago, PFM18 said:

Most current (analyst) mocks seem to be of the opinion that the Bills will be trading up to 6 with us and we'll trade down again.

Why would the Bills do this?

1. Cle-Darnold QB

2. NY-Rosen QB

3. NY-Mayfield QB

4. Cle-Barkley RB

5. Den-Allen QB

The Bills are going to trade up into the top 4 with either the Browns or Giants, assuming they're willing to move those selections. If not, they're basically stuck with Lamar Jackson--a guy they wouldn't have to trade up to acquire.

If the Bills are serious about getting their QB, they call up the Giants and offer them something crazy. And if they deny it, Cleveland would likely be happy to bend them over a chair for the #4 pick.

49 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Why would the Bills do this?

1. Cle-Darnold QB

2. NY-Rosen QB

3. NY-Mayfield QB

4. Cle-Barkley RB

5. Den-Allen QB

The Bills are going to trade up into the top 4 with either the Browns or Giants, assuming they're willing to move those selections. If not, they're basically stuck with Lamar Jackson--a guy they wouldn't have to trade up to acquire.

If the Bills are serious about getting their QB, they call up the Giants and offer them something crazy. And if they deny it, Cleveland would likely be happy to bend them over a chair for the #4 pick.

I don't know. If I'm the Bills I don't go to 6 unless I'm confident who I want is still there. If you're going to move up the Giants pick makes the most sense and as you said the Browns would likely be interested to deal the 4th. It's not what I think will happen but seems to be cropping up in a lot of analysts recent mocks. 

But I do feel the Bills are the only team willing to move up to 2. I'm prepared to be proved wrong though as someone totally unexpected makes the trade instead. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2018 at 12:44 PM, Duke5217 said:

The trade of JPP to Tampa seems to have people thinking the Giants are going Bradley Chubb at #2. I'm of the opinion that if the Giants keep the pick it must be because they like a QB. I think any combo of Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson in NY would be good for the Giants. But if they really aren't taking a QB at #2, I'm of the opinion they should take whatever trade down they can get, provided it's fair, and get out of there. If Buffalo or Arizona really offers three 1st round picks don't you think you take it if you're New York? Or if you can get three 2nd rounders from Denver like Indy got from the Jets to move down 3 spots. If you aren't taking a QB at #2 I don't get why you would stay there. Thoughts? 

I am in Denver and suggested on a site here for the Broncos to trade up for the #2 and draft Barkley.  Wow, some of the replies were less than flattering.  Most folks here want a QB.  I just don't see one worth the trouble.  If one looks at stats, PFF in particular,  then Mayfield is the only one worth considering and the rest are waaaaay down the list.  If one goes with NCAA stats, then Denver got a steal with Kennum, the highest rated college QB e v e r.   Looking forward to the draft, it should be a gas.

• 2 weeks later...

They're taking Barkley.  There is no I mean no freaking way they are doing anything else.  With him they have at least 1 or 2 legit shots at a SB ring.  Chubb doesn't give them that because they have zero at RB and contrary to popular belief that matters a lot.  A "QB of the future" obviously means they are giving up a shot at a SB any time soon.  Yeah right.  It's Barkley. He's a game-changer.

7 hours ago, bomont said:

They're taking Barkley.  There is no I mean no freaking way they are doing anything else.  With him they have at least 1 or 2 legit shots at a SB ring.  Chubb doesn't give them that because they have zero at RB and contrary to popular belief that matters a lot.  A "QB of the future" obviously means they are giving up a shot at a SB any time soon.  Yeah right.  It's Barkley. He's a game-changer.

Ummmm what? You're trolling right? I think the Giants are a little underrated now but dont see how you think this if for real

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Ummmm what? You're trolling right? I think the Giants are a little underrated now but dont see how you think this if for real

There are some deluded Giants fans, which is why so many are on the Barkley train. Gettleman was a great hire, in part, because he's the type that doesn't care and knows that isn't the answer (unless Mara overrides him). The Giants have the number 2 pick for a reason and its not because a WR got hurt or because they are a running back away. THis pick is like 80% QB, 15% trade back to start the rebuild (if they don't like any of the QBs) and 5% wildcard (most likely Chubb). I said it earlier in this thread I beleive but if they draft RB, its a profound mis-evaluation of their roster/franchise/talent.

11 hours ago, bomont said:

yikes....the bolded is the only thing I didn't vehemently disagree with you on.

But he's not changing the game enough to make that putrid roster a super bowl contender. C'mon now.

"...While at the NFL Owners’ Meeting in Orlando, Mara praised the Green Bay Packers for how they handled their quarterback situation and transition in the past."

“I always admired the way the Packers handled it with Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, so that’s a factor,” Mara told the New York Post.

IF the Giants followed that strategy, then that means they are using Eli as the bridge QB to keep the team viable while the rookie QB gets up to speed. Eli's vet presence also helps the GM and HC to keep their jobs long enough to see their plans come to fruition. Taking Barkley #2 kinda suggests the Giants trust Eli in December and January to string together enough wins to grab a Title. I don't believe the Giants are making that bet

Archived