What are the G-Men doing at #2?

Duke5217

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Ummmm what? You're trolling right? I think the Giants are a little underrated now but dont see how you think this if for real

To be fair, they're a year removed from going 11-5 and if Eli can play relatively mistake-free football, they're a potential playoff team with a real chance to win a ring.

11 hours ago, bomont said:

They're taking Barkley.  There is no I mean no freaking way they are doing anything else.  With him they have at least 1 or 2 legit shots at a SB ring.  Chubb doesn't give them that because they have zero at RB and contrary to popular belief that matters a lot.  A "QB of the future" obviously means they are giving up a shot at a SB any time soon.  Yeah right.  It's Barkley. He's a game-changer.

You're essentially trading a boatload of draft picks for a RB if you do that. Its unusual to say the least. 

3 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

You're essentially trading a boatload of draft picks for a RB if you do that. Its unusual to say the least. 

I mean, given the success that Dallas and Jacksonville have had after taking a RB early, I'm not surprised if they opt to go with Saquon Barkley instead of trading down.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

To be fair, they're a year removed from going 11-5 and if Eli can play relatively mistake-free football, they're a potential playoff team with a real chance to win a ring.

I don't think so. Eli will fade down the stretch as age catches up with his diminishing skills. Look at how he played down the stretch the last couple of seasons. In September/October he'll be fine, but learning a new offense. But as the season wears on, he will wear down. Same as Carson Palmer and other older vets

No way the Giants are betting on Eli ...Mara signed off on benching him. And while that was handled poorly, it still shows ya how Eli is viewed in that front office.

Here's his stat line from game 16 last year:

10-28-132-1-1 Passer rating 48

And that was a big bounceback from the week before where he got shutout in AZ while delivering 2 more picks and a 57 rating. Vegas currently has the Giants with the 20th best odds to win the SB at 33:1.   I don't believe anybody in the draft is gonna vault them into the top 5 and I don't think the Giants are fooling themselves into thinking Eli can pull it off. They don't have Dallas OL and they don't have Jacksonville's D.

I think they'll take a QB and Eli buys them some time to groom the kid

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Last 2 years they went 11-5, then 3-13. I think as a team, they are somewhere in the middle as far as how good they actually are. Lots of close wins 2 years ago, lots of losses last year that they could have won, especially early in the season. I think they are about an 8-8, 7-9 team trending upwards. Although if someone wanted to argue they could go back to 11-5 this year, i could understand the reasoning. If someone wanted to argue they'll be just as terrible this year, id be less receptive to it, but I could still see it. Giants are very much an uncertainty as a team as to how good/bad they are. 

On 3/30/2018 at 11:50 PM, jrry32 said:

Use your second pick (or trade up) and draft Lamar Jackson.

Lamar Jackson couldn't ask for a better situation than sitting behind Eli and working with Shula and Shurmur. Shula gets a lot of flak, but he created that Panthers offense specifically to accentuate Cams' strengths. He could do the same for Lamar Jackson. Im set in stone with wanting Barkley at 2, and as much as I think we could land a solid IOL at 34, Jackson would be too good to pass up. Or honestly, too good to not trade up for at the end of round 1, if the oppurtunity presented itself. 

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

Clarification, the thread said "what are they doing at 2" meaning to me who are they taking vs trading down.  I can see a trade down for the right offer.  But I still really (really) doubt it.  Barkley is too good and it's too perfect of a match. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Yeah they were 11-5 with the crap they had at RB.  With Barkley?  Watch out.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, given the success that Dallas and Jacksonville have had after taking a RB early, I'm not surprised if they opt to go with Saquon Barkley instead of trading down.

I do agree with that. The pendulum has swung at least a little back from people just thinking you can pass on elite level RBs and find one just as good later

They pick a QB.

The Giants rarely find themselves picking in the top 5 and the last time they did so they ended up with Eli.

There are also 4-5 potential franchise QBs in this draft that will more than likely get picked in the first, after that there is a dramatic drop-off.  

The Giants are one of those organizations that for the most part, think long-term and follow the tried and true methods of maintaining a team. It's logical for them to draft a franchise QB and have him sit behind Eli. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve thought it was Rosen for months and still do.

He’d be a great replacement for Eli imo and NY is a good spot for him/his personality imo.

That would be pretty spectacular information control if we took Rosen, because I haven't heard even an inkling that Gettleman likes him.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve thought it was Rosen for months and still do.

He’d be a great replacement for Eli imo and NY is a good spot for him/his personality imo.

This is what I've always thought they'd do too. I know Giants fans are pretty loyal to Eli, but he's just about done being an effective starter. The Giants need to go get their QB of the future. And even if that guy ends up being Davis Webb, you can ship Rosen out for a boatload of quality draft picks down the line. I don't think putting all of your faith in Davis Webb is a good idea.

The Giants and the Browns are in similar situations. I'd love to draft Barkley, but without a true franchise QB on the roster, it's extremely hard to pass up on the opportunity to draft one ASAP. The Giants are in that same boat IMO. I think Barkley on the Giants or the Browns would be great, but it doesn't fit given the holes that exist at QB. I'd put Tyrod Taylor and current Eli Manning in the same category as QB's tbh.

21 hours ago, bomont said:

Yeah they were 11-5 with the crap they had at RB.  With Barkley?  Watch out.

You mean the crap they had at OL. Taking Barkley doesn't fix that abomination of an OL. Not that there's a quick fix to that in the draft, but Barkley won't change the fortunes of their running game. You need to have at least an average OL to allow Barkley to get loose and hit the kind of production numbers that would warrant taking him at #2 overall. Barkley can help them in the passing game and in the kick return aspects as well, but I don't expect Saquon to be tearing it up behind the Giants current OL.

The other problem with the Giants? They overachieved 2 years ago. I don't think their roster is that good. And they're an OLD team without a whole lot of great young talent coming up. Sterling Shepard, Landon Collins, Dalvin Tomlinson, and Evan Engram are the good young players on that team that I can think of off the top of my head. They have terrible linebackers, holes at CB and FS, and just lost their best defensive lineman (JPP). Their OL is atrocious, they need to find a #2 WR, their QB is ancient and turnover prone, and they don't have any impact runningbacks.

This team won't sniff double digit wins with whoever they take in the 1st round IMO. They need to rebuild by either taking the QB at #2 or trading down and gathering a boatload of picks. You don't begin a rebuild by taking a RB at #2 overall. 

Archived