Dolphins sign Brock Osweiler

49erurtaza

18 minutes ago, Lilseb93 said:

It's just the offseason we got rid of big names so it's easy to be negative. Miami's cap space isn't in a bad spot anymore as long as they don't do anything crazy beyond this point. 

13 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I just wish you guys got rid of more big names.

To be clear, this is exactly the point @BleedTheClock and I are making.  You seem to be pointing out that negativity is coming from MIA's shedding of big name talent.  It's exactly the opposite.  Those moves were absolute necessary with your team, and I applaud the org for realizing this.  With those guys you were just mediocre and with no chance to be better.   You are better off to make that call, and blow it up.  It's the acquisition of aging vets on the other side that negates this gain.   That's the big misgiving I have.

I can understand getting Sitton as a signing because yes, shoring up the OL protects your assets.   Pretty much every other aging vet signing isn't really helping your long-term goal, and it's . unlikely to be a short-term difference-maker (other than just hurting your AFCE rival with taking Amendola - still don't get both Wilson & Amendola, but whatever).   It's a waste of resources in that situation.   That's the point.  If you want real hope, keep the purge, blow it up, and go young (with very select exceptions like Sitton, for the effect they have in protecting your younger assets, and leveraging better play from future cornerstones like Tunsil at LT).

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

I just wish you guys got rid of more big names. I thought getting rid of Suh made sense, but I think you guys could have purged more of the veterans and set a hard precedent on not bringing in veterans that won't be here in 4-5 years when hopefully you've built this thing back up into a contender. Maybe I'm being overly negative, but I don't see a lot of redeeming players on this Dolphins roster and if things remain as mediocre as they do now, they'll be out of range from acquiring the young difference makers that they sorely need on both sides of the ball. I haven't been impressed with their recent drafts nor do I think their QB situation is stable. They just lost their two best players in Suh and Landry, which to me, would signal a rebuild. But then they avoid going into rebuild mode by signing a bunch of veterans and keeping a lot of their old players under contract. I wish their GM had the balls to blow it up before it's too late.

...or maybe I'm way off base and the Dolphins will win 8-10 games this year. I think it'd be a miracle personally, but I'm not some kind of oracle. Who knows...

To me the Dolphins already felt like 7 to 9 win team last year. I think Tannehill and other key players getting hurt deflated the whole season. August was a nightmare. Not having a bye week hurt too. The schedule was pretty brutal too. There's a reason they had 4 prime time games and why ESPN actually ranked their offense in the top 10 (I'm dead serious). One dude on NFL Network even thought they could be in the AFC Championship even with Cutler lol. Gase could have won coach of the year in 2016. People were optimistic about the Dolphins. Now a year later, people are very doom and gloom about them. Pretty crazy how quickly that changed lol. 

There's plenty of games they barely lost and probably would have won with better QB play and a better O-line. Even with the defense not playing well. The Dolphins upgraded both positions (if Tannehill comes back healthy). It's hard to say because like I said there's a lot of young players that need to sink or swim. Guys you wouldn't know about unless you followed the team. 

Most importantly, I'm optimistic because I like Gase. He has a scheme and he knows what he wants from his players. Miami may be one of those teams that doesn't have flashy names but plugs in players that fit the scheme. They probably had no business winning 10 games in 2016 either. Statistically Miami had no business winning 6 games. They were terrible everywhere, but they got a lot better as the season went because things started to click. Even if it didn't always translate to wins.  That's why I'm a bit more optimistic because they already hit rock bottom and now they have more young players coming in who played well. Gase gets the most out of his players. So when we bring in these vets that fit a scheme for more reasonable contracts it may actually translate into more wins. 

Under Gase, the Dolphins usually win close games. Most of their losses were blowouts last year lol. 

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

To be clear, this is exactly the point @BleedTheClock and I are making.  You seem to be pointing out that negativity is coming from MIA's shedding of big name talent.  It's exactly the opposite.  Those moves were absolute necessary with your team, and I applaud the org for realizing this.  With those guys you were just mediocre and with no chance to be better.   You are better off to make that call, and blow it up.  It's the acquisition of aging vets on the other side that negates this gain.   That's the big misgiving I have.

I can understand getting Sitton as a signing because yes, shoring up the OL protects your assets.   Pretty much every other aging vet signing isn't really helping your long-term goal, and it's . unlikely to be a short-term difference-maker (other than just hurting your AFCE rival with taking Amendola - still don't get both Wilson & Amendola, but whatever).   It's a waste of resources in that situation.   That's the point.  If you want real hope, keep the purge, blow it up, and go young (with very select exceptions like Sitton, for the effect they have in protecting your younger assets, and leveraging better play from future cornerstones like Tunsil at LT).

Who is not in their long term plans besides Amendola? That's the only move that I don't understand. Wilson is 25. We needed a slot WR. He fits the scheme perfectly. Quinn is 27 and possibly Wake's replacement. Sitton is just there to fill a need. Gore is just there to provide a veteran for the young RBs. We're paying him peanuts. We're going to draft another RB. Osweiler I'd imagine is cheap and is just a camp body. Kilgore is just there to fill a need until we draft another center. Pouncey is below average and injury prone. We brought back Hayes cheap and a bunch of older O-line guys that were already on the roster back for cheap. Who are these so called old players that are crippling their cap? 

I get what you are saying, but the Dolphins have been rebuilding the roster. If you look at the roster, most of these guys were drafted or signed when they were unknowns and then rewarded. The roster has been low key rebuilt in Gase's image already. The issue was they were hindered by terrible contracts and overpaid players. The contracts this offseason are far more reasonable and they fill needs while we continue to build the roster. I mean the draft isn't even here yet. 

If you don't like Miami's drafts and feel Miami is in a bad spot OK, but I don't see anymore vets that kills the cap. Wake still plays like a stud. The two most glaring contracts are Branch and Alonso, but both are in their long term plans. 

2 hours ago, Lilseb93 said:

Because the offense isn't going to fall of the cliff without Landry. If anything they forced the ball to Landry too much which hurt the offense. The WR core fits Gase's system, the offensive line is significantly better, and Tannehill will be back (although we'll see if he can comeback 100%). They still need a back up RB and a TE. But it's not as bad as people think. The O-line was horrendous. Pouncey is only a big name but below average and gets hurt a lot. Ajayi didn't follow the play book and couldn't block. Ajayi also had temper tantrums when he didn't get his away. The offense was a lot better with Drake starting. From reading between the lines, it seemed like Landry wasn't following direction either. But I'm not entirely sure. 

We have young players at DT who played pretty well last year, but they are question marks. We need another vet to fill a hole at DT. The secondary is full of young guys we've drafted and developed. McDonald played well at FS and Jones is a very good safety. We're getting Lippett back. I'm fine with the safeties and the CBs. We'll go LB in the draft (I hope) and we're getting McMillan back from injury. LB is still a glaring weakness, but we still have the draft coming up. Miami is good at DE. The defense is more of a question mark than anything because a lot of guys need to step up in their new roles now. 

The roster isn't as bad as people think. We just have a lot of players who need to sink or swim right now. And that's fine because we need to know where we stand with these young players. 

Still need a free safety. McDonald and Jones both Strong safety’s. Sign a free safety and play all three.

6 minutes ago, mountainpd said:

Still need a free safety. McDonald and Jones both Strong safety’s. Sign a free safety and play all three.

McDonald was pretty good at FS. I think the Dolphins are happy with him at FS. If they sign or draft a safety it will be for depth. But I would love Derwin James if we don't go LB. There's talk McDonald could also be put at LB at times this season. All three together would be cool. 

8 minutes ago, Lilseb93 said:

Who is not in their long term plans besides Amendola? That's the only move that I don't understand. Wilson is 25. We needed a slot WR. He fits the scheme perfectly. Quinn is 27 and possibly Wake's replacement. Sitton is just there to fill a need. Gore is just there to provide a veteran for the young RBs. We're paying him peanuts. We're going to draft another RB. Osweiler I'd imagine is cheap and is just a camp body. Kilgore is just there to fill a need until we draft another center. Pouncey is below average and injury prone. We brought back Hayes cheap and a bunch of older O-line guys that were already on the roster back for cheap. Who are these so called old players that are crippling their cap? 

I get what you are saying, but the Dolphins have been rebuilding the roster. If you look at the roster, most of these guys were drafted or signed when they were unknowns and then rewarded. The roster has been low key rebuilt in Gase's image already. The issue was they were hindered by terrible contracts and overpaid players. The contracts this offseason are far more reasonable and they fill needs while we continue to build the roster. I mean the draft isn't even here yet. 

If you don't like Miami's drafts and feel Miami is in a bad spot OK, but I don't see anymore vets that kills the cap. Wake still plays like a stud. The two most glaring contracts are Branch and Alonso, but both are in their long term plans. 

Wilson isn't going to be worth his contract.   Yes you needed a slot - but then you paid for 2 of them, at 2M less than Landry.   Quinn isn't likely to be worth his cap $.  And while you cite age, the problem is also where they are at in their career arc.   Gore's 1M is negligible 

Your GM cleared cap space by getting rid of Suh, Landry - and then spent almost the same $ on guys who aren't difference makers, or aren't worth their cap #'s.  That's the fallacy of FA, so few guys are worth it.   Amendola (6M), Wilson (8M), Quinn (13M) take up 27M for 2019 for you.   That's 27M for guys I truly don't see will be difference makers for you.   Sitton I don't have a problem with, because OL is one area you don't want to get other guys hurt.     But while you say, well we now can afford it - that 27M is better spent on younger guys who could become value players for you.   That's how you become better.     Doing this halfway with clearing space but then reinvesting a good portion in the FA market at guys who aren't worth it - it's exactly how you sustain that mid-level mediocrity.   Stay younger, stick with the draft, accumulate cap health so you can afford real difference-makers, or when you are truly a good team, you can get these marginal difference-makers, as then a small upgrade makes a huge difference.  

26 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Wilson isn't going to be worth his contract.   Yes you needed a slot - but then you paid for 2 of them, at 2M less than Landry.   Quinn isn't likely to be worth his cap $.  And while you cite age, the problem is also where they are at in their career arc.   Gore's 1M is negligible 

Your GM cleared cap space by getting rid of Suh, Landry - and then spent almost the same $ on guys who aren't difference makers, or aren't worth their cap #'s.  That's the fallacy of FA, so few guys are worth it.   Amendola (6M), Wilson (8M), Quinn (13M) take up 27M for 2019 for you.   That's 27M for guys I truly don't see will be difference makers for you.   Sitton I don't have a problem with, because OL is one area you don't want to get other guys hurt.     But while you say, well we now can afford it - that 27M is better spent on younger guys who could become value players for you.   That's how you become better.     Doing this halfway with clearing space but then reinvesting a good portion in the FA market at guys who aren't worth it - it's exactly how you sustain that mid-level mediocrity.   Stay younger, stick with the draft, accumulate cap health so you can afford real difference-makers, or when you are truly a good team, you can get these marginal difference-makers, as then a small upgrade makes a huge difference.  

I'm with you on the WR moves. $8 million was too much for Wilson, but maybe the guy becomes a stud and it works out. He apparently was pretty hot on the market. IDK who was interested in him. Maybe he sucks. That one is more of a gamble. He wasn't on my radar. The Amendola move makes no sense to me. IDK how he's going to fit with the team. 

I disagree on Quinn though. There's no penalty if they cut him next year so you're possibly getting a 27 year old guy who has proven to be a Pro Bowler in the league and perfectly fits your 4-3 defense. He could be Wake's replacement. That's the price for premium pass rushers. So that's a low risk move to me since there's nothing to lose. They can afford to absorb his contract now so you might as well see what happens. I never have an issue with those kind of moves if there's no guaranteed money. 

Tannenbaum is terrible though. He just likes to spend money and is terrible with cap space. Most Dolphin fans hate him including me. But he's been more reasonable the last couple of years. I just hope they stick with this plan. I can live with a gamble or two if they have the cap space to do them. As long they aren't giving out Suh money anymore. 

It's Gase that keeps me optimistic. 

I don't really disagree about Tannenbaum's handling of cap space. He's terrible. I'm just saying the roster has actually been rebuilt through the draft and I do think it's better than people think. There's just a lot of players who need to sink or swim right now. It's March and the draft hasn't happened yet. There's still a lot of questions to be answered. 

3 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Camp arm to compete with Matt Moore, nothing to see here.

Matt Moore is a free agent.

He’s going to compete with Fales and whichever rookie they select in this draft for QB2. 

Archived