Clean Slate Mock

warfelg

So I wanted to approach a mock from a clean slate place.  Try not to think too much about other people's mocks while making mine.

Round 1 Pick 28 - TRADE:

I have the Giants looking to trade up, as I see one or two of the QB's sliding down the board on draft day.  I can see Jackson being there at 28, and the Giants looking to get up into the end of the 1st to get him.  So: Giants send 34, Tampa 3rd, 2019 3rd for 28 and 2019 7th.

Round 2 Pick 34:

Rashaan Evans ILB Alabama - I know this seems like it's unrealistic, but I've been really looking into his and I think him and LVE are getting out of the first.  So sliding back a few, we pick up some flexibility lower down the draft to get other positions of need.  We've talked this one to death that Evans is the fit and a great player for us.

Round 2 Pick 60:

DeShon Elliot FS Texas - This is a tiny reach IMO (I have him rated as the 71st player on my board), but I think that he's a good pickup for us.  He's a versatile safety, that can be the backup plan at both spots, but mostly the idea would be to play him at free safety and have a competition with Davis.

Round 3 Pick 69:

Lorenzo Carter DE/OLB Georgia - Ok, so it's going to be nice getting a pass rusher somewhere.  This is the pick coming from the Giants trade.  He's a long armed rusher.  He's not great at setting an edge in the run game, but in the passing game he can just get at it.

Round 3 Pick 92:

Poona Ford NT Texas - So this is a guy I've liked for a while.  I don't want to spend a high pick on a 30-40% player.  But when you've already spent 3 picks on bigger needs this becomes a little more of a luxury at this point.

Round 5 Pick 148:

Anthony Miller WR Memphis - A future thinking pick, Miller is a guy that can be a solid slot WR.

Round 5 Pick 165:

Christian Campbell CB Penn State - I really like this as a depth shot player and a special teams ace that could be a player for us when Haden moves on.

Round 7 Pick 220:

Jeb Blazevich TE Georgia - Not a hot pick, but he is a good blocker, having Chubb and Michel run behind him.  We need more of a blocker than anything else.

Round 7 Pick 246:

Dalyn Dawkins RB Colorado State - He's more of a pass catching RB than a runner between the tackles.  He's got a chance to be this years Alvin Kamara.

If the Giants don't take a QB at #2 and try to "build around" Eli, they deserve all the evil that befalls them.  But yeah, Ok, I'll go with it.  

If we could get the tradeback to #34 and still get Evans, I'd be thrilled.   Need to go deeper on Eliot but I'm not sure if he's our guy, probably rather have Bates there.  Carter is a solid pick at #3.   He's got that fire in his belly that Dupree is lacking.   Like the idea of this draft, the positions are good.  

I will buy the trade even though I think we all know that Colbert doesn't trade back.  I would hope he would in this case, but...

I like Evans.  I know that there is the Mack/Buck argument and that he is a guy that is the same as VWill, but I don't buy it.  Players play.  I'd be very happy with him here.

Eliot fills a HUGE need and should be here.  Can eventually be a franchise level FS

Do not think Carter will be here at top of Rd. 3.  Been seeing him touching the first round of some mocks.  If he is, he is a STEAL here.

Ford is too high here... 3rd round is too rich for my blood, but you are right, it is a luxury.

Do like Miller... wish he had more special teams experience.  Would like a bigger blocking WR to take over for Bryant...

Like Campbell... LOVE Blaze, he hasn't been getting much pub, but he is scary good when he is on.

Good stuff... I can get behind all of them, if they are there.  As much as I would love to believe that a trade back is possible, I don't buy it.  Also don't buy that they will ignore offense this much at the top.  Read somewhere that offense has been taken in the top 3 every year under Colbert.  No way he does first 4 picks as defense.

Archived