LAC DL Corey Liuget Suspended 4 games for PED's

Broncofan

I think DL was the obvious pick before for 1.17, but any talk of LAC going QB is pure smokescreen IMO.  They're going to go Vea/Payne/Hurst with this news.  They need off-ball LB and DL upgrades to become a truly elite D, and this only highlights their biggest need area.  Fortunately for them, they're in a perfect spot to address it in Rd1.

Just now, game3525 said:

I doubt it.

LB will be the pick .

Really?  Can't argue the talent there....off-ball LB is the other glaring weakness.   How do you see they address DL then?  Just curious...we've got zero shot, might as well have you guys represent.

21 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Really?  Can't argue the talent there....off-ball LB is the other glaring weakness.   How do you see they address DL then?  Just curious...we've got zero shot, might as well have you guys represent.

I think they address it on day 2 or 3. 

Telesco is somewhat predictable with his first round selections. It is always one of the top players at a position that they feel was the biggest weakness from the year before.

2013-Chargers offensive line was the biggest issue, so he takes Fluker at 11.

2014-Chargers CBs was the biggest weakness on the roster, so he takes Verrett at 25.

2015- They couldn't run the ball and Mathews contract was up, so he trades up to take Gordon at 15.

2016-Team lacked difference maker on defense, so he takes Bosa at 3.

2017-Team was burned by Allen getting hurt two years straight, so he takes Williams as insurance at 7.

The interior is poor, but if they are for real about maximize the current window they have, then I don't see how they take a DT over an LB since there is a bigger learning curve with defensive lineman then there is with an off-ball LBs. If Roquan Smith manages to fall out of the top ten, that is their guy IMO. TT will trade up to take him because he is exactly the type of player they would have ranked extremely high on their board. 

Indisputable proof that PEDS don’t equal talent. He is already making more money then he should. I wonder if those four unpaid games reduce his cap number in any way... can’t say this bodes well for him if/when Chargers decide to part ways. A rookie will be brought in along with a camp FA. It won’t be hard to outplay him and steal that starting spot. Legit he may have started his last game with this failure. 

43 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The Chargers can also survive with a platoon at Liuget's spot of Philon and Rochell. They really only have Perryman at linebacker (and he's only good as a run stopper).

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I think DL was the obvious pick before for 1.17, but any talk of LAC going QB is pure smokescreen IMO.  They're going to go Vea/Payne/Hurst with this news.  They need off-ball LB and DL upgrades to become a truly elite D, and this only highlights their biggest need area.  Fortunately for them, they're in a perfect spot to address it in Rd1.

Engh.  This doesn't really guarantee anything, other than the fact that Liuget may actually be on thin ice now.  If anything it's going to give the team the leverage it likely needed to get Liuget to renegotiate his contract (which was higher than he'd deserved) and bring his cap-number down.

Tom Telesco as a GM just plain doesn't value DT that highly in the draft.  I'm not sure if people have been paying attention but the Chargers have needed a long-term solution at NT since Telesco has been there and he's only ever spent a single 5th round pick on Ryan Carrethers.  That's it.  Darius Philon was better than people really care to acknowledge last season and in the limited reps he was given Isaac Rochell was quietly very productive.

This honestly has more relevance to Liuget's potential future with the team (he's only $3M in dead money to release and would free up a shade over $6M in doing so; he also has $1M+ roster bonuses that start kicking in start next year) than it does to affecting the Chargers' 1st round pick.  This might prompt Telesco to actually put out a call to Jonathan Hankins' agent and start weighing the cap that could be gained by releasing Liuget against what kind of money Hankins is seeking, but that's probably the closest it gets to "forcing his hand" on a move.

1 hour ago, Boltstrikes said:

Also my god TT is horrible in the first round. Five years of picks and only hit on a multi contract player once. 

How is this applicable to Liuget though?  Telesco didn't draft him; AJ Smith did.  Also, (we can debate till we're blue in the face whether he deserves it or not, but) Melvin Gordon's almost assuredly going to get an extension when the time comes, and it's only been the 2013 and 2014 classes who have even been in a real position to receive extensions (rookie deals don't allow you to be eligible to receive them until after year 3, IIRC).  So yes, he tripped over himself out the gate, but he found his stride eventually and I don't think finding guys he's drafted recently who will be deserving of extensions is exactly going to be a problem.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:
They're going to go Vea/Payne/Hurst with this news.

You're thinking of Mebane as the player who a rookie would replace, not Liuget. 

Philon's already been eating into Liuget's playing time to where it's nearly 50-50.  This most likely cements Philon as the starter going forward, which is what we've been expecting to happen eventually.

40 minutes ago, The LBC said:

How is this applicable to Liuget though?  Telesco didn't draft him; AJ Smith did.  Also, (we can debate till we're blue in the face whether he deserves it or not, but) Melvin Gordon's almost assuredly going to get an extension when the time comes, and it's only been the 2013 and 2014 classes who have even been in a real position to receive extensions (rookie deals don't allow you to be eligible to receive them until after year 3, IIRC).  So yes, he tripped over himself out the gate, but he found his stride eventually and I don't think finding guys he's drafted recently who will be deserving of extensions is exactly going to be a problem.

And TBF, Verrett is a stud. He just has the Chargers curse.

17 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

And TBF, Verrett is a stud. He just has the Chargers curse.

Well, he was predisposed with the curse before he ever became a Charger... him becoming a Charger just kind of threw gasoline on that fire.

3 hours ago, The LBC said:

Earlier in the thread game posted Telescos first round picks. Not saying he hasn’t gotten value out of later rounds but first round picks outside of Bosa are average at best.

ps you know I hate Gordon. Slightly less then Matthews but still that kind of production out of a first round running back is horrible value.

Archived