DEN trades for ARI T Jared Veldheer, ARI gets 6th round pick

Broncofan

He's past his prime, but you cannot argue our price, and our need.  He counts 6.9M vs. the cap, ARI takes the 3.3M in signing/restructure bonuses.

Hopefully this spells the end for Watson on our team once he can pass a physical.

Given our need and the price, I'll tip my cap to Elway here.  No risk move, especially if we cut Watson, we save 4.5M there.   Biggest problem has been staying healthy - and while he's effective when healthy, that's been his problem.  But he's also got no big cap hit, so given where the RT market is at, probably our best move by far that we could do.   We should still prioritize getting a developmental T in the draft.    

Sounds about right. About 7 million on Denver's cap...how are they looking there? Didn't have a ton of money to start the season, and Keenum is also a 15 mill hit. I don't know that you're counting on the guy that he was 3 years ago though. 

2 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

His switch to RT started off unbelievably bad. Supposedly he got better the last handful of games of the season. 

And the crazy part - still likely a big upgrade on Watson.  Yes, that bad.

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

His switch to RT started off unbelievably bad. Supposedly he got better the last handful of games of the season. 

This is what I just read from PFF.

Veldheer had been the Cardinals starting right tackle for the first nine games of the season before switching to the left side to replace the injured D.J. Humphries after Week 10. Veldheer had a tough start to the season, allowing the fourth-most pressures (27) by an offensive tackle through Week 5. By contrast, he allowed just 12 total pressures in the eight games since, ranking fifth at his position with a pass blocking efficiency score of 96.8 in Weeks 6-14.

He was playing well up until he got injured. Could be a good "buy low" situation for us.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Sounds about right. About 7 million on Denver's cap...how are they looking there? Didn't have a ton of money to start the season, and Keenum is also a 5 mill hit. I don't know that you're counting on the guy that he was 3 years ago though. 

Cutting Watson gets 4.5M back - so it's probably a 2M investment for this year only.  I expect we'll still get a developmental T.   But much like I can't criticize MIA for getting an older G and more OL help, kinda have to do it here.   OL play as bad as Menelik Watson gave us gets guys killed.

Just now, bzane said:

Good gosh, I remember when Veldheer was this absolute monster, in part from his play, in part for his stats- 6'8", 322lb, 5.06 in the 40- but mostly for a couple of workout photos:

Image result for Jared Veldheer

Why is he completely covered in cow dung in that left photo?

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Sounds about right. About 7 million on Denver's cap...how are they looking there? Didn't have a ton of money to start the season, and Keenum is also a 15 mill hit. I don't know that you're counting on the guy that he was 3 years ago though. 

They restructured Von Miller's contract and saved something like $13m

6 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Why is he completely covered in cow dung in that left photo?

Can't answer for Veldheer's on-field appearance, but readers will note from the right-hand photograph that he's very nearly as brawny as I am!O.o

Archived