DEN trades for ARI T Jared Veldheer, ARI gets 6th round pick

Broncofan

He's past his prime, but you cannot argue our price, and our need.  He counts 6.9M vs. the cap, ARI takes the 3.3M in signing/restructure bonuses.

Hopefully this spells the end for Watson on our team once he can pass a physical.

Given our need and the price, I'll tip my cap to Elway here.  No risk move, esp. if you cut Watson, you save 4.5M there.   Biggest problem has been staying healthy - and while he's effective when healthy, that's been his problem.  But he's also got no big cap hit, so given where the RT market is at, probably our best move by far that we could do.   We should still prioritize getting a developmental T in the draft.    

Good move. You upgrade at RT massively, it only costs us a couple of million extra given that we'll cut Watson. It's an area we had to upgrade. He's actually a decent Left Tackle so if the coaches think Bolles would benefit from playing RT for a year or two then that is an option, although I think we probably keep Bolles at LT and Veldheer at RT. Plus we had 11 picks in the draft and there's no way 11 rookies make the final 53 so may as well flip a couple of them into veterans.

Veldheer hasn’t been good for a few years now.  He’s not going to come in and be one of the best RTs in the league.

Still, though, he’s an upgrade for sure though.  With a minimal cap hit and only cost a 6th round pick.

Kuddos to Elway with that move.  

Got a text on this when I was out last night and I was pleased. Good move by Elway. Is Veldheer an elite player? No. But he is a massive upgrade over what we've had. Now if we can just land an OG at some point in the first two days of the draft our OL is looking at a lot better. 

19 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Got a text on this when I was out last night and I was pleased. Good move by Elway. Is Veldheer an elite player? No. But he is a massive upgrade over what we've had. Now if we can just land an OG at some point in the first two days of the draft our OL is looking at a lot better. 

Heck grab two linemem...those guys go down like flies...the fact that Veldeer has an injury history means nothing...they all do. Joe Thomas is a rarity. Offensive line is brutal...best to have quality backups who can go a few time per year. I'd draft a versitle lineman who can play multiple positions.

On 3/24/2018 at 11:37 AM, Joe_is_the_best said:

He’s past his prime. So what? He’s better than the turnstiles we’ve had on the right side. Good move by Elway.

Fills a pothole with butter. Don't see how it's a good move. JV was poor at RT and should have retired after surgery on that ankle. He's not going to give you much. 

28 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Fills a pothole with butter. Don't see how it's a good move. JV was poor at RT and should have retired after surgery on that ankle. He's not going to give you much. 

I agree with you on everything you don't understand how bad watson and Stephens was. They were as soft as butter.

On 3/25/2018 at 5:15 PM, big_palooka said:

Here's the thing: With our RT's it was as if we had a 4 man line (especially on passing downs). And we'll gladly take 'not much' over a dumpster fire.

On 3/25/2018 at 6:15 PM, big_palooka said:

I mean compared to what we've been trotting out? It's definitely a better move than hoping Stephenson gets his act together.

On 3/26/2018 at 7:42 PM, Joe_is_the_best said:

Here's the thing: With our RT's it was as if we had a 4 man line (especially on passing downs). And we'll gladly take 'not much' over a dumpster fire.

I get. Just feels like a lateral move. JV is done. He's not going to offer any more than what the Broncos have now. 

Remember last offseason when Elway and the Broncos were touting 'stealing a player' from Oakland in Watson? Just have to look back and laugh at that.

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

I get. Just feels like a lateral move. JV is done. He's not going to offer any more than what the Broncos have now. 

Remember last offseason when Elway and the Broncos were touting 'stealing a player' from Oakland in Watson? Just have to look back and laugh at that.

He definitely offers more than the current group. Without a doubt. But he needs to be healthy.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

They aren't all Gems Big...I mean, look at your girlfriend.  

Archived