Cowboys sign OT Fleming

textaz03

1 hour ago, Northland said:

I like it but is he the swing tackle, or the starting RT with Collins going back to guard?

I think it gives them the flexibility to do either. Fleming could start in this league, but it would be less than ideal. On the flip side, you could take a guard in the first three rounds and plan on him starting, with Fleming being a high end swing tackle.

I doubt that Fleming signed with the Cowboys to be their swing tackle when he has starting ability to play at least the right tackle position and Collins has played LG position and in my opinion he did very well creating a chemistry will Tyron and Fredrick's on the left side. If Tyron goes down again then the Cowboys has some flexibility to replace Tyron with someone more dependable instead of Chaz Green or Byron Bell. Now the Cowboy's can look to drafting quality depth offensive line players be it OG/C or OT to be the future swing tackle to develop.

Facts about Cameron Fleming:

The Good or good to know

6'6" 320lbs. Making him the largest player on our team.

From Houston, Texas. Played for Cypress Creek high school. Could be a factor in the decision to "come home" to Texas. Possibly for less money or for a lesser role

Was drafted by an excellent talent evaluator, Bill Belichick, in the 4th round of 2014.

Started RT on the games biggest stage, has two rings, and has playoff experience.

The Bad

Only appeared in 9 games as a rookie in 2014, and was cut by Bill Belichick in 2015 but retained through the practice squad. 

2016 he wasn't cut, but he played mainly as a reserve, his 5 starts were mostly from reporting as an extra blocker for LeGarrett Blount stuff.

Credited with only 6 starts last year, so he has never been a 16 game starter.

Overall

Although he has 2 rings and started the SB, he is relatively inexperienced for us to pencil him in as the starting RT. He is however a huge upgrade to Chaz Green. He has experience at LT and RT. Would be a great swing, but I wouldn't want him to take reps from La'el Collins at RT. I doubt Fleming could take that spot in an open competition with Collins.

Now this is another great signing. Fleming should be a good swing tackle and is a massive upgrade over Chaz Green (who should be cut soon). La'el should be given another opportunity at RT as he showed a lot of promise. I'm curious to see his contract.

Don't look now but this team is beginning to take shape along the lines of what many of us believe needs to be successful:

1. Solidify the O line

2. Get Dak friendly WRs

3. Strengthen the LB position

4. Need D line rotation.

5. Draft a stud TE

6. Get a QB for the secondary.

Three down, three to go.

Archived