Forum by forum Mock Draft - Pick 9

16 hours ago, big9erfan said:

I hate this because in real life I'm sure somebody would be willing to trade with us. With a gun to my head and forced to spit out a name it would be Smith.

I think I'm changing my pick. I'm so convinced that teams want and need QBs and that Allen and Mayfield are good enough that someone will want to trade for them. Since that hasn't happened yet in this mock I'm going to guess it's because some team is sitting back and hoping that a QB falls to them. I'll spoil that plan and force them to trade with me by taking Allen or Mayfield.  Hmmm. OK - Mayfield. The worst that happens is that I keep him for a year till next year when it's likely far fewer good QBs are coming out and then I'll recoup my investment with a very nice return.

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

I think I'm changing my pick. I'm so convinced that teams want and need QBs and that Allen and Mayfield are good enough that someone will want to trade for them. Since that hasn't happened yet in this mock I'm going to guess it's because some team is sitting back and hoping that a QB falls to them. I'll spoil that plan and force them to trade with me by taking Allen or Mayfield.  Hmmm. OK - Mayfield. The worst that happens is that I keep him for a year till next year when it's likely far fewer good QBs are coming out and then I'll recoup my investment with a very nice return.

Or because you can't trade in these mocks?

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You guys are sleeping a bit on Landry. He deserves solid consideration. In fact, when I make my mock draft, he may be my pick. This despite how much I love Smith and others like Fitzpatrick/James/Ward/etc. 

Honestly, if I pretend I'm the GM and I was in on the interviews at the combine (I'm the guy who asks the weird questions), and I have called his head coach in college, and collected stories via my scouts about his background, and how much he loves his mom, his friends are all good boys who just can't pull him away from the film room, where he spends all his free time, watching the best pass rushers and trying to learn their techniques, and that I believe he is the impact pass rusher he was in 2016, then yeah, I'm picking Landry. The problem is, I just don't know who the guy is. My only insight into his personality is a two minute interview with NFL Network at the combine. I think he really could be the guy. He has the tools. Does he have the drive? If our staff deems he does, then I definitely want the guy. 

1 minute ago, Geek said:

IDK if this is still open but Smith for me. 

Nah, it's closed. We got Minkah. 

Seemed pretty split. I think most of us were on the same page that the choice was either Minkah or Smith and would be happy with either. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Or because you can't trade in these mocks?

Yeah. I hate it. But fact is that if the draft went like this I'd be trying hard to trade down.  Would I really take one of the QBs if I couldn't work out a trade? Probably not. But it would be tempting to call some other team's bluff by taking one and then see if they want to trade for it once they finally figure out the guy they want is gone. And I do think one of the top 4 of this year's group will be worth several draft picks next year.

6 minutes ago, Geek said:

So where does Fitz play? Single high? or are we thinking a rotation where he plays anywhere he is needed? 

I would imagine he's pushing Colbert for single high. But wouldn't be surprised if he was played in the slot right away too. Basically doing both. That's what I'd do. let Colbert be almost like a 3rd down safety. 

Don't care for the Fitz pick at all. Smith, Edmunds ( I know, he was gone), Landry or trade down for me (Not an option in this case, I know). Jackson or Ward are nice, but not feeling the need as much as LB or Pass rusher (though I am not too excited about 1st round options, I think Landry could be pretty good). I am not afraid to draft for need. The only talent I would trade up for is Nelson. Otherwise, stay put or trade down. Just my preference.

39 minutes ago, DTMW78 said:

If it were to play out like this teams will be calling.

Would have gone with Landry in this case though.

I think some find it difficult to admit they need a QB...don't know why that is. Many teams (looking at you, Denver!) are picking where they are because they don't have a reliable QB. Sure glad we have ours now! We didn't last year at this time.

24 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I think some find it difficult to admit they need a QB...don't know why that is. Many teams (looking at you, Denver!) are picking where they are because they don't have a reliable QB. Sure glad we have ours now! We didn't last year at this time.

They did sign Keenum at least. I wouldn't be comfortable that he's going to stay the guy he was last year with the Vikings, but if he is, they are certainly viable playoff contenders. I still dont' think I would pick them over the Chargers, but given the never ending issues LA seems to have, that can flip pretty easily. 

Archived