Apparently we are signing Pernell McPhee

MikeT14

Edge rusher depth to make up for the two they lost to FA. No problem with that, though of course, do hope the numbers are reasonable. Ryan Anderson? you now have competition, and if either step up well, it could make letting Smith walk more palatable. (the following year)

18 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Edge rusher depth to make up for the two they lost to FA. No problem with that, though of course, do hope the numbers are reasonable. Ryan Anderson? you now have competition, and if either step up well, it could make letting Smith walk more palatable. (the following year)

I think letting Smith go would be a big mistake. He’s young bright and I don’t think he’s came close to peaking.

I like it. A couple seasons ago, prior to the injury issues that really plagued him, he was one of the very highest rated edge defenders in football per PFF. To the point that his 5/$39M deal was considered a tremendous bargain after his first season or two in CHI. Can’t expext him to get back to that level, but he’s a nice pass-rusher and definitely not a liability against the run. Game is kinda reminiscent of Murphy, actually, if I’m remembering (both of them) right.

And he’s another guy who was released by his previous team, so he won’t count in the comp pick formula. They’re playing that pretty well. 

The only thing that causes me a little ambivalence is the fact that he’s probably not the pure pass-rusher that Galette was/is. More well-rounded, by a lot, but probably no longer a true terror screaming off the edge on 3rd down and long. Final judgment on the move depends on money of course, but it’s tough not to like it if the price was reasonable  

13 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I like it. A couple seasons ago, prior to the injury issues that really plagued him, he was one of the very highest rated edge defenders in football per PFF. To the point that his 5/$39M deal was considered a tremendous bargain after his first season or two in CHI. Can’t expext him to get back to that level, but he’s a nice pass-rusher and definitely not a liability against the run. Game is kinda reminiscent of Murphy, actually, if I’m remembering (both of them) right.

And he’s another guy who was released by his previous team, so he won’t count in the comp pick formula. They’re playing that pretty well. 

The only thing that causes me a little ambivalence is the fact that he’s probably not the pure pass-rusher that Galette was/is. More well-rounded, by a lot, but probably no longer a true terror screaming off the edge on 3rd down and long. Final judgment on the move depends on money of course, but it’s tough not to like it if the price was reasonable  

Hold up so wasn’t Hankins technically released as well? So that doesn’t count against the team when it comes to comp picks?

2 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Hold up so wasn’t Hankins technically released as well? So that doesn’t count against the team when it comes to comp picks?

Should be accurate.

22 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I think letting Smith go would be a big mistake. He’s young bright and I don’t think he’s came close to peaking.

Probably true enough. They can try and offer him an extension soon, but Smith will likely be very enticed into jumping at FA money-battles next offseason between teams. 

10 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

That’s right. And the same with Scandrick, for that matter. 

We will qualify for picks for all our guys who left at the end of their contracts (Cousins, Breeland, Murphy, Long, Grant, Galette, Pryor) — and only Paul Richardson thus far would cancel any of them out. I think there’s a max of 4 or 5 picks you can get in any draft, but we look to be in line to hit that. 

It’s really pretty shrewd management by them. Finally. The “play the comp pick game” drum has been getting banged in this forum for better than a decade. Especially now that those picks are tradeable, as I was recently reminded. 

He was ok in Bmore. Murphy is a better player who will thrive in Buffalo 4/3 with Their other D linemen

we dont have anyone who puts fear into other offenses as a pass rusher and We don’t have a NT. Maybe we will draft one of these at 13.

Archived