Training Camp Battle - QB #2

y2lamanaki

The battle for QB #2  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the job?

• Matt Barkley
    • C.J. Beathard
  2. 2. If Barkley loses, does he keep a spot on the 53-man roster, or does the team carry only 2 QBs?

• Barkley remains inactive on game days as the #3 QB
    • The 49ers carry only two QBs and Barkley is cut
    • Barkley is cut, but the 49ers keep Mullens on the 53-man roster or pick up another QB

I"m actually very happy that Beathard is the first QB off the bench. Let him try and progress, get in some reps against superior competition. Barkley is a known quantity, even if you're keeping him on as a backup and Beathard is QB3, it still helps him out. This makes more sense to me even from a non-competition standpoint. 

My fasntasy, aside of course from Hoyer turning into a franchise QB, is for Mullens to show something too and for Beathard to keep up his progress.  Then we could use Beathard as backup, put Mullens on the PS, and free up a roster spot as we would not need to keep Barkley.

2 hours ago, big9erfan said:

My fasntasy, aside of course from Hoyer turning into a franchise QB, is for Mullens to show something too and for Beathard to keep up his progress.  Then we could use Beathard as backup, put Mullens on the PS, and free up a roster spot as we would not need to keep Barkley.

I think half of this is really plausible. I think Beathard will beat out Barkley and we may only keep two QBs in that case. I don't see Mullens as anything more than a body. I'm not even completely convinced he sticks around longer than the preseason.

In any case, I agree @Forge, I'm thrilled Beathard is coming in first tomorrow. I am holding onto a minor fantasy that he really is a rookie version of Kirk Cousins, and not only do we not need to draft a QB next year, but we don't need to give Cousins that contract either. Basically, Hoyer gets injured in the first 4 weeks, Beathard takes over, and he's everything Cousins is. Shanahan wanted Cousins. Shanahan wanted Beathard. I am a Shanahan believer. So...it's my minor fantasy.

3 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I think half of this is really plausible. I think Beathard will beat out Barkley and we may only keep two QBs in that case. I don't see Mullens as anything more than a body. I'm not even completely convinced he sticks around longer than the preseason.

In any case, I agree @Forge, I'm thrilled Beathard is coming in first tomorrow. I am holding onto a minor fantasy that he really is a rookie version of Kirk Cousins, and not only do we not need to draft a QB next year, but we don't need to give Cousins that contract either. Basically, Hoyer gets injured in the first 4 weeks, Beathard takes over, and he's everything Cousins is. Shanahan wanted Cousins. Shanahan wanted Beathard. I am a Shanahan believer. So...it's my minor fantasy.

Works for me.  We can buy a lot "pieces" with that extra $25 million we'd have to pay Cousins.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-rookie-qb-beathard-turns-vr-reality

But Beathard has taken advantage of technology to get more and more comfortable in the 49ers’ offense. The 49ers are one of six NFL teams that use STRIVR Labs as an aide in training players via virtual reality. The tool is especially useful for quarterbacks with the camera stationed approximately 10 yards behind the quarterback.

The 49ers have two stations inside Levi’s Stadium with VR headsets, and Beathard has taken full advantage of the resource to train his eyes to read defenses and route progressions. One source told NBC Sports Bay Area that Beathard recently reviewed more than 1,000 practice plays in a week with the technology on his own time

Pretty cool

2 hours ago, StevenK said:

I'm interested in seeing him play with the ones! 

Me too, because if we're gonna make a run at Kirk Cousins I first want to have an idea of what Beathard looks like as a pro, he's already shown me more than I ever expected. 

16 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Me too, because if we're gonna make a run at Kirk Cousins I first want to have an idea of what Beathard looks like as a pro, he's already shown me more than I ever expected. 

Same here. I've already started the Beathard era in Madden (he's only two overall short of Hoyer). First game good/bad mix. 3 TDs/2 INTs.

Did not go nearly as well for the Joe Williams era. Hyde was lost for the season against the Vikings, and Williams averaged 1.6 YPC.

7 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Same here. I've already started the Beathard era in Madden (he's only two overall short of Hoyer). First game good/bad mix. 3 TDs/2 INTs.

Did not go nearly as well for the Joe Williams era. Hyde was lost for the season against the Vikings, and Williams averaged 1.6 YPC.

I'm thinking off bringing myself back into madden and video games in general. I havent really decided if its worth it or if its just gonna cause me to get fat. 

Archived