If the NFL had a Triple A League

youngosu

On 3/26/2018 at 11:55 AM, youngosu said:

A spring league by its very nature will never be a developmental league. That is one of the main reasons that NFL Europe died, NFL teams don't want any of their 90 players playing for a spring league and stopped actually using the league to develop talent. The whole point would be to play a congruent season (just as every other sport does). 

The only problem with that is I think any developmental league would need television coverage to be viable. It would require too much money to keep it going. It'd pretty much have to be a spring league. 

8 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

The only problem with that is I think any developmental league would need television coverage to be viable. It would require too much money to keep it going. It'd pretty much have to be a spring league. 

Why? 

Minor leagues in every other sport survive without significant TV access. MLB teams manage to maintain a system of 7-8 teams plus extended spring training without TV money. A single minor league team couldn't possibly cost an NFL team more than MLB teams and their partners are spending. 

That said, even if a TV deal is needed it could still be done in the fall if needed, the NFL could easily broadcast the games on their network and could probably get a minor TV deal as well. The NBA puts G-League games on their network and has a deal with ESPNU along with several internet broadcasters, I am sure the NFL could get a similar package in place pretty easily. 

I'd picture them playing games on Tuesday/Wednesday nights possibly with a game (or 2) of the week on Thursday (before and/or) after the TNF game. I think that model is viable.

32 minutes ago, youngosu said:

Why? 

Minor leagues in every other sport survive without significant TV access. MLB teams manage to maintain a system of 7-8 teams plus extended spring training without TV money. A single minor league team couldn't possibly cost an NFL team more than MLB teams and their partners are spending. 

That said, even if a TV deal is needed it could still be done in the fall if needed, the NFL could easily broadcast the games on their network and could probably get a minor TV deal as well. The NBA puts G-League games on their network and has a deal with ESPNU along with several internet broadcasters, I am sure the NFL could get a similar package in place pretty easily. 

I'd picture them playing games on Tuesday/Wednesday nights possibly with a game (or 2) of the week on Thursday (before and/or) after the TNF game. I think that model is viable.

Because the overhead for a football team is enormous. 

And any comparison to G league games is WAY off. Football games are longer, and really need to be hyped as some sort of event to have much interest for the television viewer. The NFL is already wondering if a component of their declining ratings is the abundance of content we have now, compared to what we had before. Even more, minor league football wouldn't help the potential problem of oversaturation. 

9 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Because the overhead for a football team is enormous. 

And any comparison to G league games is WAY off. Football games are longer, and really need to be hyped as some sort of event to have much interest for the television viewer. The NFL is already wondering if a component of their declining ratings is the abundance of content we have now, compared to what we had before. Even more, minor league football wouldn't help the potential problem of oversaturation. 

I don't want to go too far in this direction because the intent of this thread wasn't really to discuss the viability of such a league. I am far more curious where you think your favorite team (Steelers?) would place a team. That is a more interesting discussion to me. 

That said, I was not comparing the cost of a G-League team, just the ability to get games on TV. And I stand by it, if their is a market for G-League basketball there'd be a market for Triple A football. As for the length of the game, its about 30 more minutes, its not like its a cricket match that can last days. 

The overhead for 1 minor league football team couldn't possibly cost an NFL team more than the overhead for 7-8 farm teams, a training facility in Arizona/Florida, and training facilities in Latin America all of which every MLB team has. 

The over saturation argument doesn't hold up in my view. The only thing that has been added by the NFL is Thursday night football. The rest of their TV package has been around for 30 years so I don't buy that adding 1 more game per week has oversaturated the market. The declining ratings have nothing to do with oversaturation. 

3 hours ago, youngosu said:

I don't want to go too far in this direction because the intent of this thread wasn't really to discuss the viability of such a league. I am far more curious where you think your favorite team (Steelers?) would place a team. That is a more interesting discussion to me. 

Bears.

Sticking to that aspect of such a hypothetical league...there would have to be far fewer teams than the main league has. It wouldn't work otherwise. So, do they then choose a few teams to sponsor minor league counterparts, or do they have multiple teams join up? Even as restrictive as having multiple big league teams go in on a single minor league club, that would still be a better option than nothing at all. But I don't know how you'd work it. It would certainly help to have limited geographical areas for the divisions, too. With play across them just for the playoffs. It would also help to place teams in bigger markets, which could mess with things. (A Bears sponsored team might be better off in San Antonio than Des Moines, for example.) 

6 hours ago, youngosu said:

While you know you could have actually read the thread, seen the point of it, and that someone already made that incorrect comment prior to you.

Its not that complicated, if you don't like the premise of a thread you could just ignore it instead of thinking you are being clever by repeating the same false stupid post already posted previously. At least the other person was first, being 2nd to make a I'm gonna be so clever that isn't clever and missing the whole point of the thread comment is pretty weak. 

All 4 pro leagues have the NCAA. 

Quite the control freak,aren't  you lol.

Incorrect? Nope, it' two votes yes and you just happen to disagree with it. I don't waste time with trivial jibber jabber. I saw the thread title ,read a little of OP..Gave my quick, short  and intellectually  superior answer.  The ncaa does enough. They/nfl already knows who they'l take and who they won't. More pseudo college ball doesn' help the league and isn't  needed. It's  a trivial filler,  sports thread dude,get back in your wannabe leader of the pack hole. 

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Bears.

Sticking to that aspect of such a hypothetical league...there would have to be far fewer teams than the main league has. It wouldn't work otherwise. So, do they then choose a few teams to sponsor minor league counterparts, or do they have multiple teams join up? Even as restrictive as having multiple big league teams go in on a single minor league club, that would still be a better option than nothing at all. But I don't know how you'd work it. It would certainly help to have limited geographical areas for the divisions, too. With play across them just for the playoffs. It would also help to place teams in bigger markets, which could mess with things. (A Bears sponsored team might be better off in San Antonio than Des Moines, for example.) 

I don't fully understand why you think the NFL couldn't be 1-1 when every other league is at least 1-1.

36 minutes ago, biletnikoff said:

Quite the control freak,aren't  you lol.

Incorrect? Nope, it' two votes yes and you just happen to disagree with it. I don't waste time with trivial jibber jabber. I saw the thread title ,read a little of OP..Gave my quick, short  and intellectually  superior answer.  The ncaa does enough. They/nfl already knows who they'l take and who they won't. More pseudo college ball doesn' help the league and isn't  needed. It's  a trivial filler,  sports thread dude,get back in your wannabe leader of the pack hole. 

You clearly do waste time with trivial jibber jabber or you wouldn't have felt compelled to post in this thread for no apparent reason beyond being a ****. 

As for your stance that the NCAA does enough, many people within the NFL disagree. Its pretty much common knowledge amongst those in the NFL that the NCAA doesn't do enough. Perhaps instead of being the big man on the internet you should actually educate yourself? 

But at the end of the day, it still comes back to posting about something you claim to not care about, why even post? Intellectually superior people don't waste their time on things they claim don't interest them so even your claim of intellectual superiority is dubious at best. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-owners-coaches-say-a-developmental-league-is-needed-and-heres-whats-brewing/

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/how-the-nfl-could-benefit-from-developmental-league-071614

But I am happy you feel superior on the internet, I find that helps many people in life so good for you. 

16 hours ago, youngosu said:

You clearly do waste time with trivial jibber jabber or you wouldn't have felt compelled to post in this thread for no apparent reason beyond being a ****. 

As for your stance that the NCAA does enough, many people within the NFL disagree. Its pretty much common knowledge amongst those in the NFL that the NCAA doesn't do enough. Perhaps instead of being the big man on the internet you should actually educate yourself? 

But at the end of the day, it still comes back to posting about something you claim to not care about, why even post? Intellectually superior people don't waste their time on things they claim don't interest them so even your claim of intellectual superiority is dubious at best. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-owners-coaches-say-a-developmental-league-is-needed-and-heres-whats-brewing/

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/how-the-nfl-could-benefit-from-developmental-league-071614

But I am happy you feel superior on the internet, I find that helps many people in life so good for you. 

You mean you read something  that said people in nfl disagree. It's  called propaganda, so you waste time talking about such trivial  unimportant  things. If the nfl thinks it can make money on a minor league,it will do it, regardless of your want or opinion. Until you realize that sports is staged entertainment, I am fact intellectually superior to you about anything sports. Nothing dubious about it.

On 3/30/2018 at 3:05 PM, biletnikoff said:

You mean you read something  that said people in nfl disagree. It's  called propaganda, so you waste time talking about such trivial  unimportant  things. If the nfl thinks it can make money on a minor league,it will do it, regardless of your want or opinion. Until you realize that sports is staged entertainment, I am fact intellectually superior to you about anything sports. Nothing dubious about it.

This thread has nothing to do with rather the league could make a profit (hell, having a minor league isn't even about making a profit to begin with). Again, if you don't like a topic, ignore it. Or be an ******* for no reason whatsoever. As for wasting time talking about trivial unimportant things, this must be your first time on a message board, its sort of why they exist.

You think you are so brilliant but your inability to comprehend a simple hypothetical on a message board indicates quite the opposite. 

Now, have your mom bring  a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (no crust of course) to your basement, maybe if you eat something you won't make such stupid posts anymore. 

Archived