If the NFL had a Triple A League

youngosu

24 minutes ago, scar988 said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1174271-nfl-minor-leagues-what-needs-to-be-done-to-help-develop-talent-in-the-nfl

Wrote an article about something like that a few years ago. The team ideas are in there.

Very good article, a little outdated with some locations (LA, Vegas) though. 

I am curious why you think 32 teams is too many. If I were an NFL owner, GM, coach I'd want my own team so I had full control over scheme, sharing a team seems like a poor idea. The NBA D-League started as a shared league but teams have quickly moved to get their own roster and the NHL, MLB, and MLS all have their own minor league teams. 

I could see the NFL starting a minor league smaller (as the NBA did) but I think within a decade or 2 NFL teams would want their own personal affiliate (only 3 NBA teams don't at this point and the G-League is only 17 years old). 

3 hours ago, youngosu said:

Very good article, a little outdated with some locations (LA, Vegas) though. 

I am curious why you think 32 teams is too many. If I were an NFL owner, GM, coach I'd want my own team so I had full control over scheme, sharing a team seems like a poor idea. The NBA D-League started as a shared league but teams have quickly moved to get their own roster and the NHL, MLB, and MLS all have their own minor league teams. 

I could see the NFL starting a minor league smaller (as the NBA did) but I think within a decade or 2 NFL teams would want their own personal affiliate (only 3 NBA teams don't at this point and the G-League is only 17 years old). 

It was written in 2012. So that's probably why it's outdated?

13 hours ago, scar988 said:

It was written in 2012. So that's probably why it's outdated?

I realize that, it was a critique, I was just pointing it out. 

More curious why the NFL wouldn't want to be 1-1 like other sports. If you are gonna have a minor league system it doesn't make much sense (to me at least) to not have full control over how your minor league guys get trained. 

Archived