Browns sign QB Drew Stanton

zelbell

6 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

I think the idea behind this is he allows Tyrod to be 100% focused on starting. Tyrod doesn’t have to worry about teaching a rookie how to be a pro. Drew can do that 

No one really has to teach any one anything. Do we think a vet is going to hold the hand of the rookie and teach him the ins and outs of being a pro? It’s not like a new kid in school and someone has to show them around. 

Any established player can teach a rookie how to be a pro. You want IMO great/solid vet QBs so the rookie can watch and see how they handle themselves, how they prepare, how they practice, and how they interact with OCs and QB coaches. How they react on the practice field and game field.  It’s not like Stanton is going to be over the shoulder of the rookie and Narrating what Tyrod is doing. You want a vet who is going to set good examples and chime in and help every once and awhile. Browns now have two. Stanton is here because he is a great back up QB to have. He solidifies the #2 spot so the rookie won’t have to play unless something major happens and he can be the #2 to the rookie when he starts next year.

also having solid vet QBs allows the QB coach to work with the rookie more because he can trust that the vets know the basics and they can get the reps, where he rookie can get more instructions. Like in practice. Tyrod could make a mistake in practice and realize and know what he did wrong. Where he QB coach can explain what happen and what is expected from the QB in the play. I rather the coach do that instead of Stanton. 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

No one really has to teach any one anything. Do we think a vet is going to hold the hand of the rookie and teach him the ins and outs of being a pro? It’s not like a new kid in school and someone has to show them around. 

Any established player can teach a rookie how to be a pro. You want IMO great/solid vet QBs so the rookie can watch and see how they handle themselves, how they prepare, how they practice, and how they interact with OCs and QB coaches. How they react on the practice field and game field.  It’s not like Stanton is going to be over the shoulder of the rookie and Narrating what Tyrod is doing. You want a vet who is going to set good examples and chime in and help every once and awhile. Browns now have two. Stanton is here because he is a great back up QB to have. He solidifies the #2 spot so the rookie won’t have to play unless something major happens and he can be the #2 to the rookie when he starts next year.

also having solid vet QBs allows the QB coach to work with the rookie more because he can trust that the vets know the basics and they can get the reps, where he rookie can get more instructions. Like in practice. Tyrod could make a mistake in practice and realize and know what he did wrong. Where he QB coach can explain what happen and what is expected from the QB in the play. I rather the coach do that instead of Stanton. 

I would say that it would be reasonable believe that the truth would be somewhere in the middle. While the primary coaching needs to come from the actual coaches, I could see having amateur quarterback in the quarterback room with whoever we pick as being very beneficial since often it will just be those three guys together and nobody else. This could help as far as watching film, going over plays from practice, and of course just basic mentor stuff. I see it as a bonus too cover all bases with a rookie quarterback and ensuring that he has the best shot succeed. Is it overkill to get someone like Stanton in? It might be, but I don't see how it would hurt either.

4 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I would say that it would be reasonable believe that the truth would be somewhere in the middle. While the primary coaching needs to come from the actual coaches, I could see having amateur quarterback in the quarterback room with whoever we pick as being very beneficial since often it will just be those three guys together and nobody else. This could help as far as watching film, going over plays from practice, and of course just basic mentor stuff. I see it as a bonus too cover all bases with a rookie quarterback and ensuring that he has the best shot succeed. Is it overkill to get someone like Stanton in? It might be, but I don't see how it would hurt either.

I agreed as long as the guy is an a-hole players will help out one another. I think stanton will because that was the role he accepted. I think he was told he was going to be a back up and a vet who can help out a rookie. Won’t hold his hand or be his teacher but if they are doing something, like watching game tape, something in practice, and etc he will help out. 

To me that’s why Hoyer Manziel never worked out. Hoyer was brought in to compete for the starting job. Browns following year they draft Manziel to be a potential QBOTF. You never heard about positive interactions between Hoyer and Manziel. It’s like Hoyer didn’t want to help him cause it would lead to him losing his job. 

To me it was all about finding players to fit roles that they could succeed at. Browns QBs all fit their key roles and to me, makes me hopefully for next season. Last year the browns had a clown show when it came to QBs and them finding a role for this team. 

10 hours ago, buno67 said:

I agreed as long as the guy is an a-hole players will help out one another. I think stanton will because that was the role he accepted. I think he was told he was going to be a back up and a vet who can help out a rookie. Won’t hold his hand or be his teacher but if they are doing something, like watching game tape, something in practice, and etc he will help out. 

To me that’s why Hoyer Manziel never worked out. Hoyer was brought in to compete for the starting job. Browns following year they draft Manziel to be a potential QBOTF. You never heard about positive interactions between Hoyer and Manziel. It’s like Hoyer didn’t want to help him cause it would lead to him losing his job. 

To me it was all about finding players to fit roles that they could succeed at. Browns QBs all fit their key roles and to me, makes me hopefully for next season. Last year the browns had a clown show when it came to QBs and them finding a role for this team. 

I agree with all that but would like to add I feel like Hoyer was totally justified given the scenario.

Archived