Browns sign QB Drew Stanton

zelbell

7 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Great signing. Competent QB and a good attitude guy. Been around and knows how to be a pro. Good bye Hogan and Kessler. Also allows Darnold to continue to sit if Tyrod were to get hurt.

Just giving the young QB some positive people around him

I think I read Stanton has been a QB with Stafford as a rookie and With Andrew Luck as a rookie. So the dude knows how to work with a #1 overall drafted QB rookie lol

i wouldnt mind them at all making Darnold the #3 to start out. Let him get comfortable. I know a lot of ppl are the opposite and think he should start right away because why waste a #1 to be bench. I just really don’t want to screw him up. Have him sit and learn and once he starts progressing, allow him to work his way up the depth chart. Heck even tell him that the plan is to make him the #3 but if he proves that he isn’t otherwise that the depth will be re-evaluated. I just don’t want it handed to him or make it look like a competition when secretly the deck was stacked in his favor a la Kizer. Nothing against Kizer but Hue rigged it for Kizer lol

allow Tyrod and Drew worry about playing next year and allow Darnold to prepare to be the future.

9 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I think I read Stanton has been a QB with Stafford as a rookie and With Andrew Luck as a rookie. So the dude knows how to work with a #1 overall drafted QB rookie lol

Dorsey is a smart man. Getting a guy who has been through it with two #1 overall rookies before that have similar playstyles and traits to Darnold.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

That’s not surprising as @brownie man made that point on page one. ? 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

i wouldnt mind them at all making Darnold the #3 to start out. Let him get comfortable. I know a lot of ppl are the opposite and think he should start right away because why waste a #1 to be bench. I just really don’t want to screw him up. Have him sit and learn and once he starts progressing, allow him to work his way up the depth chart. Heck even tell him that the plan is to make him the #3 but if he proves that he isn’t otherwise that the depth will be re-evaluated. I just don’t want it handed to him or make it look like a competition when secretly the deck was stacked in his favor a la Kizer. Nothing against Kizer but Hue rigged it for Kizer lol

My issue with this is practice reps.

The backup is getting more reps, especially in season, than the 3rd stringer.  I want Darnold getting those reps and learning the pro game.

I love bringing a guy along slowly, but a number one pick shouldn’t be sitting behind Drew Stanton for any reason.

Hey guys, first post on here so I thought I would start out with some obvious, innocuous observations...

1. The moves at QB absolutely scream QB will be the pick at #1 - not that anyone is doubting that.
  2. The QBs chosen also are telling: Tyrod to start and hopefully stay healthy, bring some competence to the position and pull a few wins out.  Start changing the culture.  However, he views himself (as he should) as a starter in the league, not just for this year but for years to follow.  Not likely going to go all-out to train a rookie to take his job.  Nor should he.  Concentrate on wins, everything else will take care of itself.
  3. Stanton to serve as the stop-gap in case Tyrod goes down.  He's a serviceable insurance policy with no illusions of starting QB stardom and should therefore be perfectly willing to assist in mentoring the rookie.
  4. This sets up for only one of two choices at QB, IMO.  It's either Darnold or Allen.  Both have all the physical tools to ultimately become stars, but both also have warts, and a season or two on the bench can only help them get cleaned up.

I'm going to now be controversial and say that I am slightly leaning in the direction of Allen, especially given this scenario.  All reports have him taking big strides in improving his footwork, which should translate into better accuracy.  Physically, he is perfect for the cold weather in the AFCN and with a year or two to learn could be our Big Ben.

Question:  What do we do if Tyrod absolutely balls out and takes us to that rarified air?  Should he be thought of as an option for an extension?

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s not surprising as @brownie man made that point on page one. ? 

My issue with this is practice reps.

The backup is getting more reps, especially in season, than the 3rd stringer.  I want Darnold getting those reps and learning the pro game.

I love bringing a guy along slowly, but a number one pick shouldn’t be sitting behind Drew Stanton for any reason.

Wait, you think our #1 pick will be getting LESS reps than Stanton??? Cmon man.

1 minute ago, duke2056 said:

Wait, you think our #1 pick will be getting LESS reps than Stanton??? Cmon man.

Is Stanton going to need all the reps?

He is an established vet that prolly won’t need a lot of reps because if he is going in, Tyrod is hurt and the offense will struggle. 

They could easily plan it that Darnold gets the development he needs. Not like they will make him the 3rd string QB and not touch him. He isn’t going to be your typical 3rd string QB.

4 minutes ago, Trots said:

Hey guys, first post on here so I thought I would start out with some obvious, innocuous observations...

1. The moves at QB absolutely scream QB will be the pick at #1 - not that anyone is doubting that.
  2. The QBs chosen also are telling: Tyrod to start and hopefully stay healthy, bring some competence to the position and pull a few wins out.  Start changing the culture.  However, he views himself (as he should) as a starter in the league, not just for this year but for years to follow.  Not likely going to go all-out to train a rookie to take his job.  Nor should he.  Concentrate on wins, everything else will take care of itself.
  3. Stanton to serve as the stop-gap in case Tyrod goes down.  He's a serviceable insurance policy with no illusions of starting QB stardom and should therefore be perfectly willing to assist in mentoring the rookie.
  4. This sets up for only one of two choices at QB, IMO.  It's either Darnold or Allen.  Both have all the physical tools to ultimately become stars, but both also have warts, and a season or two on the bench can only help them get cleaned up.

I'm going to now be controversial and say that I am slightly leaning in the direction of Allen, especially given this scenario.  All reports have him taking big strides in improving his footwork, which should translate into better accuracy.  Physically, he is perfect for the cold weather in the AFCN and with a year or two to learn could be our Big Ben.

Question:  What do we do if Tyrod absolutely balls out and takes us to that rarified air?  Should he be thought of as an option for an extension?

Welcome!

I have to say I'm a bit worried about the way that Allen is gaining traction because of his toolset and physical stature. I feel like the comparison between him and Darnold of being similar because they are both big guys with warts isn't a great one. Allen hasn't really shown he is good at football whilst Darnold has. Allen threw 5 picks against Nebraska. He went 1TD and 8INT vs the three power 5 conference teams he faced. Darnold routinely shredded that level of team with subpar talent, bar one or two games out of the 24 he played, winning 20. (USC full of 4/5 stars is a misnomer).

I think if Tyrod does ball out, we need to stay focused on what he really is and not get carried away. I subscribe to the theory that if you take away the best and worst season of a QB, what you're left with is what he really is. 

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If he’s the 3rd stringer that’s usually how that works, yes.

That being said you don't have to follow the strict guidelines of the official rule book of exactly how many snaps each QB on the depth chart gets.

Its a situation where Stanton would be the backup QB and come in if something happens to Tyrod, but Darnold would get a good amount of snaps to learn to play the position at the professional level.

12 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Is Stanton going to need all the reps?

He is an established vet that prolly won’t need a lot of reps because if he is going in, Tyrod is hurt and the offense will struggle. 

They could easily plan it that Darnold gets the development he needs. Not like they will make him the 3rd string QB and not touch him. He isn’t going to be your typical 3rd string QB.

Unless Tyrod gets hurt the first month of the season, why would we be playing Stanton though?

If the guy we draft at 1 needs to be third string behind Tyrod Taylor and Drew effin Stanton, we drafted the wrong dude.

Just now, CBrownsman said:

That being said you don't have to follow the strict guidelines of the official rule book of exactly how many snaps each QB on the depth chart gets.

Its a situation where Stanton would be the backup QB and come in if something happens to Tyrod, but Darnold would get a good amount of snaps to learn to play the position at the professional level.

Again, short of an early season injury why would Stanton play?

Im all for bringing a guy along slowly behind a decent vet, but I’m not going to sit him being a career journeyman for the hell of it.

I think Darnold would get the second team reps. But Stanton would probably come into the game in case of an injury, at least in the early portion of the season. Let's be honest, it doesn't matter how many reps Stanton gets or not... if he plays, he is going to stink it up.

Again, short of an early season injury why would Stanton play?

Im all for bringing a guy along slowly behind a decent vet, but I’m not going to sit him being a career journeyman for the hell of it.

A regular season Injury.

I honestly believe this front office wants to sit whoever they draft at #1 virtually the whole year.  If tyrod gets hurt in week 10, I don't expect them to bring the rookie in.

I could be wrong, but I don't expect it...

Unless Tyrod gets hurt the first month of the season, why would we be playing Stanton though?

If the guy we draft at 1 needs to be third string behind Tyrod Taylor and Drew effin Stanton, we drafted the wrong dude.

Darnold wouldn’t be 3rd string because ability. 3rd string so he isn’t forced into action too early. If he plays it’s because of emergency. I think making him 2nd string is just stupid. I don’t know if as a rookie he could handle being thrown right in during the middle of a game and succeed. Someone like Stanton could cause of his experience. Hell if Tyrod got hurt for the year. I think I rather see Darnold the starter.

stanton is just fine as a spot start but he isn’t a long term Type QB. If Tyrod is out for 2-3 weeks. Fine with stanton filling in and then going back to #2. Say Tyrod gets hurt and is out for the year, I would heavily consider making Darnold the starter. 

Archived