Prospects Breakdown

Armsteeld2

How do others feel about some of this Board’s favorite prospects?  Use any scouting breakdown or analysis that you prefer. Some the majority of us may say is BS and some may open our eyes to weaknesses/strengths that we missed.  Without further ado:

The video on LVE points out some of the difficulties he has sifting through the trash. I think that can be coached up because he seems to have the physical/athletic traits and awareness to overcome it. However, as it stands now he is a MLB that needs to be kept clean and Hargrave cannot provide that. So there needs to be some combination of LVE learning better technique and the Steelers getting a fat guy in the middle or a scheme change. 

Evans is better at avoiding blocks but he also has a lot more help around him. There aren't a lot of times he is asked to take on a blocker and has no support around him. I do think he is the better LB based on his burst, quickness and coverage skills. However, he could be stronger at the POA. Being slippery is a great asset but sometimes you just need to be able to stick your nose in there and hold you own. That isn't where Evans' (or LVE's) bread is going to be buttered. With that said, neither was Shazier's. 

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

The video on LVE points out some of the difficulties he has sifting through the trash. I think that can be coached up because he seems to have the physical/athletic traits and awareness to overcome it. However, as it stands now he is a MLB that needs to be kept clean and Hargrave cannot provide that. So there needs to be some combination of LVE learning better technique and the Steelers getting a fat guy in the middle or a scheme change. 

Evans is better at avoiding blocks but he also has a lot more help around him. There aren't a lot of times he is asked to take on a blocker and has no support around him. I do think he is the better LB based on his burst, quickness and coverage skills. However, he could be stronger at the POA. Being slippery is a great asset but sometimes you just need to be able to stick your nose in there and hold you own. That isn't where Evans' (or LVE's) bread is going to be buttered. With that said, neither was Shazier's. 

Evans not taking on blocks is not just that he cant, but a majority of the time he just beats the block to the spot and is making the play before the block can get to him. I don't think LVE will ever be that guy. I would not be disappointed in drafting LVE and think he will be a very good player but evans has some special qualities about him and I would have no issue going up to get him if need be.

1 minute ago, Big Snack said:

Evans not taking on blocks is not just that he cant, but a majority of the time he just beats the block to the spot and is making the play before the block can get to him. I don't think LVE will ever be that guy. I would not be disappointed in drafting LVE and think he will be a very good player but evans has some special qualities about him and I would have no issue going up to get him if need be.

Oh yeah, I totally agree on Evans. That's what I was referring to when I said "slippery". He seems to have a knack for avoiding the blocker and getting to the spot before the block can be made. That's a result of is burst/quickness/awareness.  My only point is that at the next level that won't be quite as easy and he will have to take on a blocker. I'm not saying he can't but he didn't have to do it often and he will need to get stronger at the POA. Though much faster, Shazier was/is the same type of player. 

LVE has way too many flaws that you can get away having with at the college level, but not the pro level.   Could he be coached up?    I suppose, but would I bet a first rounder on it?   No way.   I dont think he is nearly as instinctive as some are giving him credit for either.    Wouldnt even consider LVE in the top 50, and wouldnt love him as a second round pick either.     I think he will end up being JAG.

Evans doesnt blow me away, but if he did, he would probably be out of our reach.   I do believe he can be a very good starting ILB for a long time, though.     He compares alot to Timmons coming out, but more polished IMO.      And unlike Timmons, we wouldnt be trying to use him as a 34 OLB (at least we better not).

Jackson will go higher than draftnicks think.  He still has accuracy issues and mechanical issues.

All the Qbs in this draft have issues and none of them should start quickly.  Rudolph and Rosen could be the quickest starters.

1 minute ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Here is a Lamar Jackson breakdown: 

If Mike Vick went number 1 overall, why wouldn’t Lamar Jackson go in the Top 10?

Because its a different time.

Vick's athleticism got him overdrafted.      Teams were enamored with his skillset at the time.   Teams dont seem nearly as blinded by QB athleticism as they were at one point.    Basically...if this were the early/mid 2000s, Jackson would be a lock for a top 3-5 pick.   Now?  Not so much.   He has alot of mechanical issues and Im not sold on him as a pure passer whatsoever.

I actually like Jackson and think he could become something special, but  Id be worried about spending a top 10 pick on him.   I do think he could still go top 10, and I would take him over Josh Allen, but this entire QB class is laughably overrated IMO, and he is part of it.   Again, not because he isnt good or doesnt have upside....but most of these QBs are boom/bust guys, and I think Jackson needs the right situation to succeed, on top of alot of luck.

At the latest, I think he gets drafted by the Cardinals, but could go to a team like the Bills, Giants (if they trade down), or Dolphins....but his best chance of success would be a team like the Steelers or Jags.    Given our situation, I wouldnt draft him if he fell to us, but it would be an ideal situation for him.

Vander Eche is the most overrated player in this draft. Guys that I have listed as UDFA and prep the resume were dominating him at the line of scrimmage. Plays with his upper body, and not his lower body. Can’t use his hands on blocks. He’s what I call a PJ defender he pile jumps and acts like he made the play. Makes tackles only when perfectly clean. 

He’s in my 40-50 range for talent in this draft and if we take him I’ll flip. 

15 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Jackson will go higher than draftnicks think.  He still has accuracy issues and mechanical issues.

All the Qbs in this draft have issues and none of them should start quickly.  Rudolph and Rosen could be the quickest starters.

Rudolph is the one QB that I haven’t watched.  I hear the Steelers are interested in him.  I’ll take a peek today.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Vander Eche is the most overrated player in this draft. Guys that I have listed as UDFA and prep the resume were dominating him at the line of scrimmage. Plays with his upper body, and not his lower body. Can’t use his hands on blocks. He’s what I call a PJ defender he pile jumps and acts like he made the play. Makes tackles only when perfectly clean. 

He’s in my 40-50 range for talent in this draft and if we take him I’ll flip. 

200.gif

Rudolph has excellent accuracy very good size and has been very productive throwing the deep ball. The knock on him is his arm strength he cannot make those wow throws and doesn’t put a huge amount of zip on the football I felt I’ve liked him more than most leading into this process and if I had to compare him to any current NFL QB it would be Sam Bradford There will always be some skepticism towards these big 12 quarterbacks who put up video game numbers against ****ty defenses but I think he could develop into an above average to good quarterback in the league

Whichever LB they draft will be a coverage LB  LVE is better then Evans at coverage.  Griffin and Skai Moore would work as well.

I still think they do not touch LVE because of the Big school productive prospect angle for their 1st round picks.

Archived