Prospects Breakdown

Armsteeld2

18 minutes ago, Big Snack said:

Ray Lewis was 6'1 and 235 at the 96 combine and I remember the comments then of he needs to add some weight. I am glad Evans has not run and hope it pushes him right to our pick.

Everybody was pumped Jarvis Jones crapped up his workouts too. 

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

Farrior played at 225.  By most accounts Shazier plays at 220 after coming into camp at 235.  We go through something like this every year.  Why does he need to add weight?

I don't think I'm one that usually makes that statement but Farrior was shorter (not much) so therefore stouter. I said he MAY need to add 5lbs. That doesn't seem like much too me. 

2 hours ago, Big Snack said:

Ray Lewis was 6'1 and 235 at the 96 combine and I remember the comments then of he needs to add some weight. I am glad Evans has not run and hope it pushes him right to our pick.

I'm sure you'd agree 6"1" at 235 looks much different than 6'3" at 235. 

3 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I don't think I'm one that usually makes that statement but Farrior was shorter (not much) so therefore stouter. I said he MAY need to add 5lbs. That doesn't seem like much too me. 

Farrior came to the Steelers from the Jets at 235-240.  He went down to 225 for the quickness.  I think a big reason is having Hampton in front to keep them clean.  Compare that to Kendrell Bell playing the buck at 240-250.

43 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Farrior came to the Steelers from the Jets at 235-240.  He went down to 225 for the quickness.  I think a big reason is having Hampton in front to keep them clean.  Compare that to Kendrell Bell playing the buck at 240-250.

Certainly Hampton helps a lighter ILB. Just to be clear, I have no issues with Evan's size. I even stated that I'd prefer a lighter quicker ILB. But again, Evans is at least an inch taller than Farrior so 5lbs extra could be beneficial. 6'3" 232 looks really lean but no leaner than Shaz.  In the end it's not gonna make or break him either way. 

On 3/29/2018 at 11:52 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

Everybody was pumped Jarvis Jones crapped up his workouts too. 

I have to imagine our man Karl Dunbar has all the inside info and metrics on Evans.  I may have never played D-1 ball, but every program I was a part of we ran the 40 at the beginning of every pre-season.  

On 3/28/2018 at 2:11 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

I’d love to have him. The middle of the defense was by far our weakest spot, even with Shazier. With Payne, Bostic, and Burnett that would be greatly improved.

I’d love to see some kind of 4 down front with Heyward - Payne - Hargrave - Tuitt. That’s a lot of beef up front and all 4 can rush too. Play Watt behind that and rotate Dupree, Bostic, and Vince in too. Our secondary has a lot of potential as well. That giant line defense could be the new wrinkle that takes the NFL by storm. 

Sorry for the rant, I have random tangents that I don’t think would make good topics on their own so I hijack other threads lol

I have been suggesting something similar to this for quite some time, but I got shot down by some about the lack of pass rush doing that and there not being 4-3 type of personnel.  I doubt Payne would even be there when the Steelers pick at 28.  However, even if they drafted another DT or NG type later, I still believe that can be effective with having Tuitt, Hargraves, a DT/NG, and Heyward as the Nickel DL. You then have LB options of Watt and Dupree, rookie or even move Burnett in here, and go three safeties (Burnett, Davis, rookie/FA) or three CB's (Hayden, Burns, and Hilton).  It helps to guard the against pass as well as making it tougher for teams to pound us in this formation because we have some beef on the DL.

This defense has been hurt when team run on them in the Nickel and because they have not had the personnel to match up to teams with two good TE's that could pass on them or pound them in the running game.  I believe that this DL can be successful rushing with Tuitt and Heyward from the DE spots in the Nickel.  Karl Dunbar is known for missing his DL's and this will benefit the Steelers in a similar fashion as when the Ravens ran a similar hybrid type of DL. This is my opinion and I have long felt that we could have better results trying something like this than we have in the past.  I do agree that having good and the right type of players for the scheme helps any defense become better.

5 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I have been suggesting something similar to this for quite some time, but I got shot down by some about the lack of pass rush doing that and there not being 4-3 type of personnel.  I doubt Payne would even be there when the Steelers pick at 28.  However, even if they drafted another DT or NG type later, I still believe that can be effective with having Tuitt, Hargraves, a DT/NG, and Heyward as the Nickel DL. You then have LB options of Watt and Dupree, rookie or even move Burnett in here, and go three safeties (Burnett, Davis, rookie/FA) or three CB's (Hayden, Burns, and Hilton).  It helps to guard the against pass as well as making it tougher for teams to pound us in this formation because we have some beef on the DL.

This defense has been hurt when team run on them in the Nickel and because they have not had the personnel to match up to teams with two good TE's that could pass on them or pound them in the running game.  I believe that this DL can be successful rushing with Tuitt and Heyward from the DE spots in the Nickel.  Karl Dunbar is known for missing his DL's and this will benefit the Steelers in a similar fashion as when the Ravens ran a similar hybrid type of DL. This is my opinion and I have long felt that we could have better results trying something like this than we have in the past.  I do agree that having good and the right type of players for the scheme helps any defense become better.

I think the Steelers are high on Chad Thomas.  He has the size and length of a 34 and 43 DE.  He is good versus the run and pass.  Interesting guy.

22 minutes ago, warfelg said:

What I’m taking away:

its there. Needs consistency. 2/3 round guy with 1-2 years of swing tackle. 

If Munchak can help develop a former WR/DE to an pro bowler then can you imagine what he could do with Brown?  Now there are limitations but I like his upside.  I wonder how he’d look as an OG?

Archived