Derwin James the CB ?

bosko1616

599539084-florida-state-v-mississippi.jpI’ve been thinking for awhile about this and in Gregg Williams bend but not break defense our CBs main job is to essentially keep everything in front of them and not get beat deep. They have to tackle well and most of the time they are 5-10yds off the wr giving them enough room to break on the ball or adjust and run with them on go routes. Rarely are they left on island and have to play man. Does this defense set up perfectly for James to transition into a CB? Think about it. He’d easily be the best tackling CB in the league. He’s a physical freak. Has the speed (4.47) if he does need to go to deep can and the explosion to jump on routes early. He’s tall, lanky, and plays with great instinct. Sure he’s hips are alittle stiff but honestly I’m the defense when would he actually have to flip them on a dime.  Imo not only would James transition smoothly into CB on the defense he would be elite at it. What’s your guys thoughts ? 

It’s intriguing. I am not the biggest fan of Derwin James as a safety with multiple responsibilities. I think it might well be that he’s best suited to being matched up one on one with someone that he can put his hands on. Used as a simple athletic mismatch.

5 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

It’s intriguing. I am not the biggest fan of Derwin James as a safety with multiple responsibilities. I think it might well be that he’s best suited to being matched up one on one with someone that he can put his hands on. Used as a simple athletic mismatch.

Him vs the Greens,Hopkins, and Jones would be fun. I think he can handle all but the Antonio browns. But who can guard him honestly 

I mean I think it could work, but I wouldn't draft someone that high and hope he can play a position hes never played.

I've always thought the draft to be finding a player who can do what you need him to do very well, and draft him to do that.  I'm not a fan of drafting a guy and trying to teach him another skill (pass rusher to 3-4 OLB is an example)

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He has the athletic ability to do it. His shuttle and cone drill at the combine are easily fast/quick enough for a good NFL CB and he essentially is the same size as Xavier Rhodes.

But as @CBrownsman said, Im not a huge fan at drafting somebody top 5 to play a position they have never played as a pure projection.

I would say realistically that we would be considering this option if we trade back with the Bills and he happens to be there at pick number 12, which is in the general realm of where most people are seeing him being drafted.

14 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I would say realistically that we would be considering this option if we trade back with the Bills and he happens to be there at pick number 12, which is in the general realm of where most people are seeing him being drafted.

Trade with Buffalo for 12, 22 and 53.

12. Derwin James

22. Vita Vea

53. Ronald Jones

Wouldn’t be mad at that. Would like it even more if we managed to get their 2019 1st though!

2 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Trade with Buffalo for 12, 22 and 53.

12. Derwin James

22. Vita Vea

53. Ronald Jones

Wouldn’t be mad at that. Would like it even more if we managed to get their 2019 1st though!

You and LGB are loving you some Vea. Do you think he fits in our defense, though, even if he's very athletic for his size?

6 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

You and LGB are loving you some Vea. Do you think he fits in our defense, though, even if he's very athletic for his size?

I’m actually not over the moon on Vea. I think he plays high and relies a lot on his freaky strength. But he’s initriguing because if he can get better with technique and pad level, he could be a monster in the middle.

I’m not sure he’s the best fit, Williams likes smaller, more penetrative DTs like Ogunjobi and Donald, doesn’t he? I’d also be a bit miffed in discarding Shelton and replacing him with Vea. Vea offers more in pass rush and is much more athletic, but I do think it could feel like a bit of a waste.

Might have talked myself out of it during this post!

Archived