Mitchell Trubisky buzz growing

WindyCity

Cian Fahey

14. Mitchell Trubisky – Tier 4.

Did you know? Mitchell Trubisky threw 39 seam passes in 2017 and was accurate on 28 of them. Only Aaron Rodgers was more accurate on seam throws than he was.

The big concern on Trubisky at this point is his ability to process coverages and blitzes. He ranked 24th in avoidable sack percentage as a rookie. But even that’s not a major concern because he came out of college as a raw rookie. His overall performance in 2017 was really impressive. The only thing he was lacking was a decent wide receiver.

Trubisky was phenomenally accurate and he spent most of his season throwing receivers open at every level of the field. His receivers had a high failed reception rate but more importantly than that they really struggled to get open. Whenever they were pressed aggressively at the line, Trubisky was going to have to either make a perfect throw or extend the play outside of structure.

His combination of creating big plays while being efficient with his accuracy and decision making to work the underneath levels of the coverage made for a hugely promising rookie season. If he had a healthy Allen Robinson last year, his numbers would have been as impressive as his performances were.

http://presnapreads.com/2018/03/25/quarterback-tiers-and-rankings-based-exclusively-on-the-2017-season/‬

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I dont think thats accurate at all.  Weve heard for a year how much guys who know football really like MT10.  

The pressure died down because Watson got hurt. Maybe 1/3rd of people at best think he’ll be anywhere above average.

36 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I agree most people think Tru will be an average QB in the league. Most of that is pure ignorance and not seeing the lack of WRs and playcalling that hindered him. 

I disagree with you both.  The perception HERE might be that way, but media and other places seem to think he's on the track for good things.

1 hour ago, IronMike84 said:

The pressure died down because Watson got hurt. Maybe 1/3rd of people at best think he’ll be anywhere above average.

This is so true.

I remember all the idiots out there, (Michael Lombardi included), saying how the Bears made a huge mistake passing over Watson for Trubisky based on what Watson was doing before he got hurt while failing to consider the talent and coaching he had around him compared to Mitch last year.

Also, the Bears just never seem to get enough respect with the national media and general NFL fan base.  It's like we are the forgotten franchise always, justifiably more so recently because of how irrelevant we've been the past few seasons, but still it's pretty annoying sometimes. 

Naturally because of this, a lot of people are easily brushing off Trubisky as if he won't amount to anything special.  It's all good though because this team has always thrived more in an underdog role.  I'm pretty confident in saying that we will all be laughing at the haters in the near future.

I thought he might have regressed a bit during the season with regards to how confident or authoritative his play and passes were, but given he certainly was showing more command of NFL quarterbacking, perhaps he's just getting calmer back there than when he first started playing, ergo, gunslinger to general.

One of his strengths in college and one of the most desired traits in a NFL QB is accuracy it's likely we can count on this going forward. Any time you are second to Rodgers is almost certainly a good thing and given his weapons last season, in this case a great thing.

I'm not overly concerned with how a QB plays in season one. I am concerned with how he plays in season 2 or 3 to the Nth season.

I knew he showed some impressive accuracy deep and outside the hashes but didn't realize he was THAT accurate. Now with talent around him that is actually NFL caliber, he should do just about as well. I say that because I expect them to attempt a hell of a lot more than 39 seam passes this year, so teams may sit back a bit more and drop his completion percentage there a bit.

On 3/26/2018 at 9:46 AM, Nads786 said:

I agree most people think Tru will be an average QB in the league. Most of that is pure ignorance and not seeing the lack of WRs and playcalling that hindered him. 

Never underestimate people maintaining they were right to bad mouth the trade with the 49ers. People holding on to the notion that they were "right all along" clouds a lot of people's visions when it comes to matters of the NFL. 

On 3/26/2018 at 7:03 AM, IronMike84 said:

I dont understand this, Watson got hurt and I am guessing many NFL scouts and front offices expected that to happen. Perhaps not how it happened or when it happened but his smaller frame and scrambling tendencies put him at risk. RG3 was great for a year too, I think it is way too early to close the book on Watson vs Trubisky.

"Watson's bad injury luck surfaced in 2014 with a torn ACL, a broken collarbone, a sprained knee and a fractured finger. He's not the thickest QB at 6'2, 221 pounds, but his recent string of good health is encouraging."

I was a big Watson fan before the last draft, and really preferred him. Once the pick was Trubisky I was pretty surprised and concerned. One of the things I started to wonder about was whether have DSQ'd Watson due to injury concerns.

Then again I also liked Kizer. 

Then then again, Kizer could still end up good, Watson bad etc. Really too soon to have wring or pat backs

9 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Then again I also liked Kizer. 

Then then again, Kizer could still end up good, Watson bad etc. Really too soon to have wring or pat backs

I saw no one in the entirety of the football media who claimed anything other than that Kizer was the least capable QB of starting right away. And then Jackson did just that. O.o

He could still end up being a good quarterback. 

I was a Watson guy too with Mitch my 1a. I’ve just been so impressed with Mitch since day 1 though. He’s done EVERYTHING right. Came in and didn’t ***** about being behind Glennon on the depth chart. Didn’t ***** about getting booed at the Bulls game (which was total BS btw). Worked his *** off from day 1. Clearly endeared himself to his teammates and leads by example, and EARNED their respect as a rookie QB which is no easy task. The guys on the team seem to legit like him to a man. Don’t know that I’ve heard a single player say anything bad about him at any point. He’s humble, hard working and poised on the field. We’ve been looking for a QB with the “it” factor forever and he so obviously has the “it” factor to go along with an abundance of obvious talent and now a HC who should be able to get every ounce of ability out of him. My expectations for this season are already irrationally high. I think this team has SO much potential heading into this year even in a loaded NFC. 

Archived