OBJ will not step foot on the field without new deal

mattbags2313

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Cruz also just said yesterday that He spoke to OBJ and wants to be a Giant. Take that with a grain of salt. 

No doubt. I found the article and it did say he loves New York. The Giants need to pay the man. Again following OBJ at LSU being literally an hour away from Baton Rouge and knowing people close to the school/program, the preception of Beckham Jr. is worst than who is really is. Yes he does crazy things but outside of the video, the stuff he does on the field wouldn’t be magnified if he played in Cleveland. He is passionate about football and loves the game but he is also young with a lot of money in a big city. Take it for what it’s worth, Marshall Faulk got traded when he was young from the Colts because management thought he was selfish and a “me first” player and didn’t want him to hurt Peyton Manning and the team. By the time Faulk realized its about the team first, he was already traded to the Rams. So I think the Giants would be making a big mistake personally if they traded OBJ.

On 27/03/2018 at 7:59 AM, mattbags2313 said:

That’s not a  fair argument. He was a one man circus act. Except the year we actually made the playoffs, the team as a whole was terrible and the coaching was worse. And when we won the SB in 2012 we were absolutely stacked at receiver. We had two guys catching 1000 yards, and another that wasn’t so far behind . So don’t ignore the position. If he leaves we have a MASSSSSIVE hole. A lot of points, catches, first downs, yards, etc to replace. Not to mention the effect it will have on match ups. Im not gonna endure a season with sterling shepherd as our number 1 receiver. He can’t even line up outside to begin with. 

Thank you for proving my point. There is no point in having overpaying a WR when the rest of the team needs work. Our O-line still needs work, so does our secondary with DRC gone and Apple being a headcase, we got a MLB but who plays SLB with Kenard gone, and who is our other pass rusher. Lets not even forget about QB and RB. What is he going to catch if we arent investing in a QB

I am not even going to go into it with you about how you missed the point about the Number of WRs we have had who had put stats of a #1 WR.

You can keep your "one man circus act" I want a solid team.

11 hours ago, bagh said:

Thank you for proving my point. There is no point in having overpaying a WR when the rest of the team needs work. Our O-line still needs work, so does our secondary with DRC gone and Apple being a headcase, we got a MLB but who plays SLB with Kenard gone, and who is our other pass rusher. Lets not even forget about QB and RB. What is he going to catch if we arent investing in a QB

I am not even going to go into it with you about how you missed the point about the Number of WRs we have had who had put stats of a #1 WR.

You can keep your "one man circus act" I want a solid team.

This is what I don’t get . You say you don’t want to overpay a WR fine but you don’t mind overpaying for somebody like JPP. You don’t just let a talent like Odell go because he’s gonna cost you. That’s the what happens when you have an elite player, he’s gonna cost you. In free agency it’s nothing but overpaying. So you don’t want to overpay your best player but don’t mind overpaying above average players? That makes no sense. You don’t want to pay that money for a WR, so that what in a few years we can spend over 100 million on FA like with Snacks, OV and Jack Rabbit? And where does that get you? Oh that’s right, right here. Point is that you shouldn’t not want to extend Odell because you want to be able to overpay for other players down the road which leads to nothing. 

19 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

This is what I don’t get . You say you don’t want to overpay a WR fine but you don’t mind overpaying for somebody like JPP. You don’t just let a talent like Odell go because he’s gonna cost you. That’s the what happens when you have an elite player, he’s gonna cost you. In free agency it’s nothing but overpaying. So you don’t want to overpay your best player but don’t mind overpaying above average players? That makes no sense. You don’t want to pay that money for a WR, so that what in a few years we can spend over 100 million on FA like with Snacks, OV and Jack Rabbit? And where does that get you? Oh that’s right, right here. Point is that you shouldn’t not want to extend Odell because you want to be able to overpay for other players down the road which leads to nothing. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

On 3/31/2018 at 1:31 AM, bagh said:

a response from someone who has no real response. You know what you are supposed to do with talent like his? YOU PAY HIM!! As i already mentioned, you draft someone that high what are your hopes? We win a super bowl within his rookie deal? or are you just hoping he is really average so we can let him walk or pay him pennies? Your argument legit makes no sense. Go complain about people on the roster that are overpaid and dont deserve their contracts as they currently stand. Marshall, Eli, our new left tackle, jonathan stewart.

and please go into our "number 1" receivers over the recent years. Before OBJ it was Nicks and Cruz. Nicks was a first round pick who we never had the chance to pay cause of injuries and Cruz was a once in a blue moon kind of player. Please enlighten me where we are getting a receiver at this point in the off-season. Sterling cant play outside, and this is one of the worst drafts in history in terms of WR depth. Before Cruz and nicks it was plaxico who at that time was being paid the going rate for a number 1 receiver. Times change, cap goes up,players  make more money. You dont just leave a once in a lifetime player to walk cause he is going to cost money. OBJ is a future hall of famer if he stays healthy, simple as that. You dont let a hall of famer walk. Period.

15 hours ago, mattbags2313 said:

a response from someone who has no real response. You know what you are supposed to do with talent like his? YOU PAY HIM!! As i already mentioned, you draft someone that high what are your hopes? We win a super bowl within his rookie deal? or are you just hoping he is really average so we can let him walk or pay him pennies? Your argument legit makes no sense. Go complain about people on the roster that are overpaid and dont deserve their contracts as they currently stand. Marshall, Eli, our new left tackle, jonathan stewart.

and please go into our "number 1" receivers over the recent years. Before OBJ it was Nicks and Cruz. Nicks was a first round pick who we never had the chance to pay cause of injuries and Cruz was a once in a blue moon kind of player. Please enlighten me where we are getting a receiver at this point in the off-season. Sterling cant play outside, and this is one of the worst drafts in history in terms of WR depth. Before Cruz and nicks it was plaxico who at that time was being paid the going rate for a number 1 receiver. Times change, cap goes up,players  make more money. You dont just leave a once in a lifetime player to walk cause he is going to cost money. OBJ is a future hall of famer if he stays healthy, simple as that. You dont let a hall of famer walk. Period.

Honest question, are you illiterate? Because, my responses in this thread have made no references to JPP or his contract. The only explanation I can think of for you to make this response would be that you mistake the letters O B and J for J P P. Short of illiteracy, I can’t think of any other reason why you would think the last response I made was not appropriate.

Now, you have done the kindness of responding to my post so I think I will reply in kind. Now, I have worked with kids with learning disabilities and developmentally delayed kids before, so I will try and use some of the same strategies to make sure you can understand what I am saying. I will try and use words with 3 or less syllables so whatever adaptive device you are using can phonetically read and reply without any misunderstandings. So you can easily pick up my points. I will also put my points with subject headings, because I know one of the strategies that best work with kids in teaching them how to read is to use context. You can pick up the meaning of some words by the words around it.

1.    You don’t build around an expensive WRs.

Of the 4 teams in the Championship game last year, how many have had that #1 dominant? How many teams can you name in the last 5 years that have been solely able to win a championship on the backs of their WR? The last once in a generation WR that I have seen was Calvin Johnson. Even with all his talents he wasn’t able to turn the Lions team into a consistent winner. WR is the most dependent position on any given team. A WR needs so many things to be successful as compared to a RB, DE, or QB. Those are the positions to invest in heavily. They can make plays by themselves with their talent and make those around them better. If you have those things in place, then investing in a WR makes sense.

2.    The Eli Factor

You consistently miss the point in me referencing the number of WRs who have had success with the Giants in the last decade. Every single one of those receivers have been able to be productive because we had a decent QB under centre. In fact, I think in the last decade, before last year, we only have had one year without a 1,000 yard receiver. It was the year the idiot shot himself in the foot before the wildcard game, and even then we had a 12-4 record. The point is production at the position can be replaced given a good QB. Quite frankly, I don’t know if Eli qualifies any more given we have seen his talents have declined. If we get a rookie QB under centre, you can’t guarantee he will have the same connection with OBJ in Shurmur’s system. I mean look at Dak and Dez. The rookie QB will need at least a season or 2 of seasoning and by that time OBJ could hurt himself and be on the decline given his style of play. I would rather trade him, use the picks to build up the line to build around the QB. Get the new QB tools that will age well with him. As such investing in a WR without a good QB to maximize his talents is a bad use of our resources and his talent.

3.    The Passing Game

You made a reference to Sterling Sheppard and not relying on him to replace Beckham. You don’t have to. Last year showed that we have guys on the team with enough talent to be able to spread the ball around. Before he went down, Shepard had I think around 750 yards in 11 games or something. You give him 4 more games and he has the 1,000 yards. After her went down, Engram I think had like 700 yards in 11 games started. I am pretty sure the only guys that were ahead of him were Ertz, Kelce, and Gronk. Those guys are in the prime of their careers whereas the Engram did it as a rookie. We don’t need one guy to pick up the slack we have multiple guys that will allow us to spread the responsibility. In terms of other options, I am not a fan or Marshall either. I think the man is a jinx. Every team he has ever been on has imploded. We can easily get a WR to groom to be a 3rd option in the draft. 

4.    Your focus on Salary

It seems that you are under the impression that I am against paying him because of his salary. I am not. My focus is and always has been on the bigger picture. If a team offers a first and a future 2nd for Beckham, I do the trade without looking back. Those 2 picks give us the shot at filling 2 positions with talent for relatively cheap. Ideally, I want to see them fill RB and G. If we do go QB, it will help us in Free Agency next year if Eli retires. It will give us $50 million to work with next year. We will need it to resign Collins, get a Guard, assuming we don’t draft one this year, and a Centre. We may be even be able to get a OLB to take some pressure off of Vernon like Clowney, Quinn, Barr, or even Matthew as he is older for cheaper. 

5.    Potential replacements

You mentioned about getting a replacement this offseason. What will it do? We are at best a 9-7 team this season. We are in a transition year. Very few teams, if any go, from picking second overall one season to winning the championship the next. Every single point I have made has been with the notion of making this year a transition year. Just like it was when Eli was drafted.

It doesn’t matter what happens this offseason, but if we are to play the what if game. The 2 guys that come to mind are Jeremy Maclin and Josh Gordon. Both have question marks, but you aren’t looking at those guys to be the focal points, you just need another tool in the toolbox. Shurmur was Gordon's coach in Cleveland and Maclin played in KC which pretty much is the old Philly Offense Shurmur ran under Reid.I actually would prefer Gordon because he is just a year older than OBJ without as much wear and tear. If he does well, we can pay him based on him keeping clean. If he gets high and get suspended we won’t expend more than a low rounder in a trade with Cleveland.

In case that was too much of a read for you to read and understand, I suggest you use these folks:
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dycd/services/reading-writing/adult-literacy-program.page

Adult illiteracy is no joke. You should use all the supports you can get.

People do this thing where they point out that “no team since so and so has won with an elite WR”. It’s so arbitrary and implies there is causation there where in fact it’s just probably correlation. 

Whenever you’re giving somebody a new contract chances are they gonna be paid above what you deem they are worth. Beckham is no exception to that even as great as he is. But the solution is not let him go because you’re gonna overpay him. Letting him go does not make our team better, it makes it worse so there is no justification in letting him go. 

14 hours ago, bagh said:

Honest question, are you illiterate? Because, my responses in this thread have made no references to JPP or his contract. The only explanation I can think of for you to make this response would be that you mistake the letters O B and J for J P P. Short of illiteracy, I can’t think of any other reason why you would think the last response I made was not appropriate.

Lol are you illiterate, or just dyslexic? Because @matt_bags2313 didn't say anything about JPP or his contracts. He must be using invisible font on the computer screen that you can only see. OH WAIT! You must have directed that completely unwarranted personnel attack was directed at @Kip Smithers. Oh man, and also Kip never centered his argument around JPP, he has mentioned him once  in this six pages here. The fact that you focused your argument on this (with a different poster no less), kind of makes you look like a moron. Especially after your Straw Man Response. Cool you might be able to read, but your ability to understand what someone reads is fairly lacking

Now, you have done the kindness of responding to my post so I think I will reply in kind. Now, I have worked with kids with learning disabilities and developmentally delayed kids before, so I will try and use some of the same strategies to make sure you can understand what I am saying. I will try and use words with 3 or less syllables so whatever adaptive device you are using can phonetically read and reply without any misunderstandings. So you can easily pick up my points. I will also put my points with subject headings, because I know one of the strategies that best work with kids in teaching them how to read is to use context. You can pick up the meaning of some words by the words around it.

You spend most of this post attacking other posters. Yes who exactly appreciates the opinions of someone who belittles his fellow fans? You tried to make a point and it was lost in your childish idiocy. BUT I WILL DISMANTLE YOUR STUPID ARGUMENTS; QUITE EASILY, I MIGHT ADD. IDK why I used caps there, but I did regardless. 

Of the 4 teams in the Championship game last year, how many have had that #1 dominant? How many teams can you name in the last 5 years that have been solely able to win a championship on the backs of their WR? The last once in a generation WR that I have seen was Calvin Johnson. Even with all his talents he wasn’t able to turn the Lions team into a consistent winner. WR is the most dependent position on any given team. A WR needs so many things to be successful as compared to a RB, DE, or QB. Those are the positions to invest in heavily. They can make plays by themselves with their talent and make those around them better. If you have those things in place, then investing in a WR makes sense.

So your argument is based around a team that has on more than one occasion, wasted a hall-fame career? With awful team building. OH, just for your information the Detroit Lions didn't win anything Barry Saunders, and are on the same course with Matt Stafford. The Vikings didn't win with Adrian Peterson. I'll take it a step further. The Colts have yet to win Andrew Luck. The Redskins never won with Kirk Cousins. If you guessed I'm not done yet, you are correct. The Texans haven't won anything with JJ Watt, or Jadeveon Clowney.  

Your entire argument is based off a false analogy, no team will ever be the same. But let's stick to your argument. IF A RECEIVER PUTS UP NUMBERS AKIN TO A #1 RECEIVER, THEN HE IS A #1 RECEIVER. I will keep playing your game, for kicks. Of the four teams that made it to the championship games 5 players were pretty good when it came to catching the ball. Adam Thielen, Rob Gronkowski, Antonio Bryant, Zach Ertz, Alshon Jeffrey? 

2.    The Eli Factor

You consistently miss the point in me referencing the number of WRs who have had success with the Giants in the last decade. Every single one of those receivers have been able to be productive because we had a decent QB under centre. In fact, I think in the last decade, before last year, we only have had one year without a 1,000 yard receiver. It was the year the idiot shot himself in the foot before the wildcard game, and even then we had a 12-4 record. The point is production at the position can be replaced given a good QB. Quite frankly, I don’t know if Eli qualifies any more given we have seen his talents have declined. If we get a rookie QB under centre, you can’t guarantee he will have the same connection with OBJ in Shurmur’s system. I mean look at Dak and Dez. The rookie QB will need at least a season or 2 of seasoning and by that time OBJ could hurt himself and be on the decline given his style of play. I would rather trade him, use the picks to build up the line to build around the QB. Get the new QB tools that will age well with him. As such investing in a WR without a good QB to maximize his talents is a bad use of our resources and his talent.

Yes you are right, but you are forgetting that average QB play can be masked by good receivers. I'll leave this here again, " IF A RECEIVER PUTS UP NUMBERS AKIN TO A #1 RECEIVER, THEN HE IS A #1 RECEIVER." 

Your argument here is just a false alternative. You can't say cause Dak and Dez don't mesh well, that a new QB and OBJ won't work. You have no way of knowing that. You are sounding like it's a guarantee that they won't get along at the beginning. There was also some half-truths thrown in as well, cause looking at Dak does he not have enough comfort with the rest of receivers? 

You have a lot of insight in how the future plays out. You sound confident in yourself as well that these are the paths that will be walked down. I had no idea I was arguing with God. 

3.    The Passing Game

You made a reference to Sterling Sheppard and not relying on him to replace Beckham. You don’t have to. Last year showed that we have guys on the team with enough talent to be able to spread the ball around. Before he went down, Shepard had I think around 750 yards in 11 games or something. You give him 4 more games and he has the 1,000 yards. After her went down, Engram I think had like 700 yards in 11 games started. I am pretty sure the only guys that were ahead of him were Ertz, Kelce, and Gronk. Those guys are in the prime of their careers whereas the Engram did it as a rookie. We don’t need one guy to pick up the slack we have multiple guys that will allow us to spread the responsibility. In terms of other options, I am not a fan or Marshall either. I think the man is a jinx. Every team he has ever been on has imploded. We can easily get a WR to groom to be a 3rd option in the draft. 

Sigh, The SS87 (Best Nickname alert) went from catching 8 TD's with OBJ on the field to 2 with him off it. You're worried about getting yards cool; I and pretty much every other fan of any sports team anywhere (except maybe Cricket (never understood this game) and Golf), however, are worried about scoring points. And The SS87, I am loving this nickname, had only 50 more yards receiving this year as "The Number 1 guy" 

Yeah we need multiple guys, but we also need THE Guy. Every team has a guy they go to when they need a completion. 

It seems that you are under the impression that I am against paying him because of his salary. I am not. My focus is and always has been on the bigger picture. If a team offers a first and a future 2nd for Beckham, I do the trade without looking back. Those 2 picks give us the shot at filling 2 positions with talent for relatively cheap. Ideally, I want to see them fill RB and G. If we do go QB, it will help us in Free Agency next year if Eli retires. It will give us $50 million to work with next year. We will need it to resign Collins, get a Guard, assuming we don’t draft one this year, and a Centre. We may be even be able to get a OLB to take some pressure off of Vernon like Clowney, Quinn, Barr, or even Matthew as he is older for cheaper. 

Even if Eli doesn't retire, we will have approximately 52M in cap space. You want to go out an Overpay Robert Quinn (I focused on this cause Barr, and Clowney are not going anywhere) who was traded from a 3-4 Defense because he simply didn't fit? I'm glad you don't run any sports team I am a fan of. Matter of fact, I know a guy in the Eagles FO. I could probably get you the job, if you promise to make the boneheaded signings for them. (this is a joke. I don't know anyone in the Eagles FO). 

And god damn you are undervaluing the hell out of OBJ. He is on pace to shatter records, that have been in place for two decades. Yet, you only want two picks for him. That isn't just generational talent, this is Once-In-A-Lifetime talent. 

So your plan is to stay @ #2 pick up a QB. Trade OBJ, and pick up a RB and G? Terrible idea. 

You mentioned about getting a replacement this offseason. What will it do? We are at best a 9-7 team this season. We are in a transition year. Very few teams, if any go, from picking second overall one season to winning the championship the next. Every single point I have made has been with the notion of making this year a transition year. Just like it was when Eli was drafted.

It doesn’t matter what happens this offseason, but if we are to play the what if game. The 2 guys that come to mind are Jeremy Maclin and Josh Gordon. Both have question marks, but you aren’t looking at those guys to be the focal points, you just need another tool in the toolbox. Shurmur was Gordon's coach in Cleveland and Maclin played in KC which pretty much is the old Philly Offense Shurmur ran under Reid.I actually would prefer Gordon because he is just a year older than OBJ without as much wear and tear. If he does well, we can pay him based on him keeping clean. If he gets high and get suspended we won’t expend more than a low rounder in a trade with Cleveland.

In case that was too much of a read for you to read and understand, I suggest you use these folks:
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dycd/services/reading-writing/adult-literacy-program.page

Oh Boy, Mr. 18 Catches himself, and Jeremy "I can't seem to stay hired anywhere I go because I suck" Maclin. You know how to add to the tool box. 

How can someone be illiterate if they have been typing, and responding to this conversation? You can say he's stupid. Cause he doesn't understand what he's reading. 

You're not right about anything you said. I pointed out most of the fallacies in your argument. I didn't feel like continuing. This is probably the rudest, and most ignorant (You conveniently ignore any counter arguement, even though they would fill your argument with holes) post I have ever read on this site. Congratz 

16 hours ago, bagh said:

2.    The Eli Factor

3.    The Passing Game

lmao, please point out where the name "JPP" was used ANYWHERE in my response. Maybe you should click on that link yourself bud. I want to respond to your post, I really do. But the second I read you would prefer Gordon over OBJ I realized it just isnt worth it. One of the biggest knocks out OBJ is his off the field BS. Yes! So lets amplify that issue with Josh Gordon, and just pray he doesnt smoke weed anymore. It is an absolute mortal lock that Gordon tests positive for something at some point in his career. And the last thing I'll respond to is please stop comparing RB to WR. It has been proven over recent years that RB IS NOT worth investing heavily in. Teams rotate backs all year long,  they use committees, and the top back in the rotation is barely playing 70% of snaps unless your zeke, bell, johnson, gurley or fournette. And at that point I'd still take OBJ over all those guys just because you know their life span is not long at all. Id much rather have a cheap backfield where everyone has their role and it isnt breaking the bank. Like back when we had earth, wind, and fire. Having a stud RB is a luxury these days. Barkley without question is the number one player in this draft and most likely the best back to come out since AP. Yet, he still might fall to 4 or out of the top 5 simply because teams dont value running backs. 

Last thing, hypothetically say we draft Darnold at 2 cause thats what it is looking like. Wouldnt it be drastically easier to bring along a rookie QB when you surround him with actual weapons, and not guys that should be on the practice squad like we had last year? And dont give me any of that crap pertaining to Shep's stats from last year. They were inflated cause his volume was through the roof.Its like how Frank Gore still manages 1000 yards on 900 carries.  And god no to Maclin. His play has fallen off a cliff. Talk about wear and tear. As much as I love the idea of having Barkley, it isnt needed for this team.If we gett Darnold at 2, and then in the second round get one of the trillion running backs in this draft such as Michel or Guice, our offense looks pretty solid. Or go line in round 2. This is the year you draft your QB because chances are we wont be picking this high again for awhile. You cant say "OBJ may get hurt or start declining" Come on, you are reaching here. The guy is 25 years old. He isn't just going to start declining out of no where. And in some weird world where that happens, you can say that about any player on the roster. Nate Solder is 30, and was just signed to the largest contract for a LT, and his play has statiscally fallen off in recent years. Its football, any player can get hurt or decline at any point. You cant factor that into the equation, especially injuries. We signed Cruz and his career was immediately ended. Could happen to anyone.

(this got longer than expected) Please dont use Dak and Dez as an example. Come on. Dak is a 4th round pick whose poor QB play has been vastly over looked because Zeke is a monster. Dak and Dez dont work cause Dak is not a good quarterback, he is very limited as a thrower of the football. And Dez is never on the field. I would hope whoever we draft at 2 is a better QB than Dak.........

Archived