OBJ holding out for new contract

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

At the end of the day, this is just a holdout. Same as Leveon Bell does every year. He might miss the entire preseason (good), but he will play week 1 because he doesn't really have any leverage. What happens after that is pretty up in the air though. 

Or he could go full nuclear like Duane Brown did and miss out until week 8.

7 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Odell is the entire offense. If you trade him you may as well cut Eli too because the offense would need to start over. 

At the end of the day, this is just a holdout. Same as Leveon Bell does every year. He might miss the entire preseason (good), but he will play week 1 because he doesn't really have any leverage. What happens after that is pretty up in the air though. 

For sure, in the end, this in all likelihood is just PR posturing. Because OBJ has zero leverage - even worse than Bell, because he's under contract, and not under a franchise tag.  IIRC, he can only hold out for so long before NYG can fine him for missed days in TC (unlike Bell, who only loses game cheques with missed games).    And he can only hold out so long in the reg. season before his service time doesn't toll the extra year, and the Gmen retain his optioni-year contract rights for 2019, and 5th year option rights for 2019.    As always, the team holds pretty much all the cards here.

The trade talk is counter-PR by the Giants, most likely.  But if you are going to trade him, then you do it now.  You don't do it the franchise-tag year.   That's a guarantee you don't get even close to max value.   Which given his contract demands, as pointed out, is probably a lot lower than most casual fans would think.

32 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'll say this - Chicago should put in a call. They signed Allen Robinson, but popping up Odell next to him would arm Mitch Trubisky with probably the best 1/2 combo in the league.

2 guys coming off major injuries ?

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

For sure, in the end, this in all likelihood is just PR posturing. Because OBJ has zero leverage - even worse than Bell, because he's under contract, and not under a franchise tag.  IIRC, he can only hold out for so long before NYG can fine him for missed days in TC (unlike Bell, who only loses game cheques with missed games).    And he can only hold out so long in the reg. season before his service time doesn't toll the extra year, and the Gmen retain his optioni-year contract rights for 2019, and 5th year option rights for 2019.    As always, the team holds pretty much all the cards here.

The trade talk is counter-PR by the Giants, most likely.  But if you are going to trade him, then you do it now.  You don't do it the franchise-tag year.   That's a guarantee you don't get even close to max value.   Which given his contract demands, as pointed out, is probably a lot lower than most casual fans would think.

In addition, John Mara has come out and said explicitly "we are not shopping Odell". It is the vague "no one is untouchable" line that sparked this conversation. That, combined with the video a couple weeks ago and Odell supposedly holding out. 

Important to note that Rapoport, so far, is the only one to report this. We haven't heard anything from Odell, Odell's camp, or the Giants FO. Gettleman has said that he will address this situation tomorrow when he talks to the media, so we should get more clarity then. 

Last note: I think it is important to recognize the difference between being a trouble maker and doing business. This will get lumped together with the video and off field antics, but a holdout is strictly business. It may leave a bad taste in the mouth of a teams coaching staff and FO, but once that player starts producing again and resigns, all is forgiven. 

39 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Barkley, Colemen/Gordon, OBJ, Landry, Njoku is a great group for Darnold.  Plus, he'd have a very talented OL.

Then you just have to build up a defense.

And How does Cleveland acquire Darnold, Barkley AND OBJ?  You realize Cleveland is only being brought up because they have two top 5 picks and would definitely have to give one up for OBJ, right? OBJ is too big for Cleveland.

@minutemancl thanks for the stats.  It’s night and day without Beckham.  The Giants will live with the distractions because on game day, he comes to play.

6 minutes ago, Gmen said:

And How does Cleveland acquire Darnold, Barkley AND OBJ?  You realize Cleveland is only being brought up because they have two top 5 picks and would definitely have to give one up for OBJ, right? OBJ is too big for Cleveland.

@minutemancl thanks for the stats.  It’s night and day without Beckham.  The Giants will live with the distractions because on game day, he comes to play.

No, I dont think theyd have to give up #4 for OBJ.  33 this year and a later pick next year was my thought considering the minor headaches and massive upcoming contract.

If the Panthers had the money, I would definitely support trading 2 1st round picks for him.  He's one of the rare difference makers and probably only WR in the NFL that would deserve it.  Brown is better, but he'll be 30 before the season.  Beckham is a 25 year old Hall of Fame level receiver.

Barring any set-backs with his injury, Beckham's skill-set should allow him to be great for a long time and I think his character concerns are overblown.  

58 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Which is why I'd say it's overblown, but still worthy of note. He has a tendency to get too hot headed at times - not a significant issue, but enough to keep an eye out for.

Yup  - punched a hole in the wall in GB after totally sucking during the 2016 playoff game. 28 yards was his contribution for the day,  on 11 targets.

Although that can be partially explained by the always- stellar Packers DB's shutting him down. :)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18433973/new-york-giants-odell-beckham-jr-punches-hole-wall-bangs-head-door-loss-green-bay-packers

8 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

No, I dont think theyd have to give up #4 for OBJ.  33 this year and a later pick next year was my thought considering the minor headaches and massive upcoming contract.

I’d love to be in the room when the Giants received that offer

Archived