How would you rate Macc's 2018 off-season to date?

SDotNova

Grade Macc's 2018 Off-season To Date  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How would rate Macc at this point in the off-season?

• A
    • A- or B+
    • B
    • B- or C+
    • C
    • C- or below
    • F*** Macc

Now that Free Agency is practically over, how would you rate Macc's off-season. With 100 mil in Cap Space and 8 Draft Picks, Jets fans had big expectations heading into the free agency period. I listed everything we wanted below.

What did Jets fan want and what did Macc do?

Re-signing Players:

Jets Fans: We wanted Macc to pretty much sign/tender all our free agents that made a meaningful contribution (i.e., Claiborne, Ealy, ASJ, Enunwa, Pennel, Davis, Catanzaro)

Macc: He brought back Claiborne and Enunwa. While he lost Davis and Catanzaro, he brought in comparable players. ASJ left despite receiving similar offer by the Jets. Ealy is TBD.

QB:

Jets Fans: It bit all over the place. Most Jets fans wanted a Cousins. Otherwise wanted us to get a QB in the draft. And some wanted us to be aggressive in the draft and trade up. Bridgewater and McCown were players thrown out there as bridge QB's.

Macc: He went hard after Cousins and had a 3 year $90 mil fully gtd offer but ultimately failed in this attempt. Plan B is in effect which consist of Bridgewater/McCown and trading up for a QBOFT

RB:

Jets Fans: Practically all Jets fans wanted Macc to address this position in the draft

Macc: Signed Crowell. The signing likely became more necessary after trading both 2nd round picks.

WR: 

Jets Fans: Most either wanted to stand pat or get a WR1.

Macc: Missed on Allen Robinson. Signed Terrelle Pryor.

Interior Lineman:

Jets Fans: Practically all Jets fans wanted at least 1 interior lineman. Most notably a center but guard was a place we wanted upgraded as well. Names that were thrown out there were Norwell, Jensen and Richburg

Macc: Looks like Macc thought Richburg's contract was to rich. He signed Spencer Long. 

Cornerback:

Jets Fans: Probably the position Jets fans wanted upgraded the most. We wanted a CB1, Claiborne or another CB2, and an upgrade at slot corner

Macc: Signed Trumaine Johnson to be CB1 and Signed Claiborne to be CB2. He tried to sign EJ Gaines but, at the moment, Skrines is the slot guy.

Edge:

Jets Fans:  Not much we expected from free agency

Macc: Didn't do much in Free Agency

Continue Youth Movement at reasonable contracts:

Jets Fans: Wanted to sign players in the mid to late 20's to continue the youth movement while also dishing out contracts that wouldn't hamper the team going forward.

Macc: Pretty much every player he signed is 28 years or younger except McCown. All contracts are practically glorified 1 or 2 year deals except Trumaine Johnson. We still have cap flexibility going forward and are projected to have the most cap space in 2019

I think that sort of captures it all. Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

My take: I give Macc a B at this point in the off-season. Cousins was a tough blow but he quickly went into Plan B which will give us two players who have franchise QB potential. I like that we didn't get killed on contracts and brought in talented players on team friendly deals. The trade up to me is a plus. If we hit on a QB this year, our future will be much brighter. The draft will swing my grade one way or the other. If we get Rosen, this jumps to a B+/A-. If we get Baker or Darnold, I think I'll stay at a solid B. If we get Allen, I'll view his off-season as more of a B-/C+.

I'd give him a C tbh love the way he's structured contracts through his tenure and thought he's done a decent job in acquiring talent.

saying this there's still thing to be desired. Not including this year, being that it's obvious we are going QB, but he hasn't done a good job addressing the Core positions QB, OL, Pass Rusher.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Who he drafts at 3 and how they turn out can swing this big time. But up to date I give him a C. And I’m being nice at that. Very few impact players from 3 drafts and 4 FA periods.

How the QB we pick at 3 performs early makes or breaks his career. If said QB flops in training camp and in pre-season, Macc is out the door. Pick 3 will be a career defining moment for him. 

His FA grade shouldn't be anything lower than B.   If Jets successfully signed Kirk Cousins then they could wind up acquiring Allen Robinson. That would be only way to earn A plus.

MM has done good job patching up holes with short term contracts and Trumaine Johnson is only the major FA signing he got for Jets. It doesn't matter who are they or what are their PFF grade.

6 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

His FA grade shouldn't be anything lower than B.   If Jets successfully signed Kirk Cousins then they could wind up acquiring Allen Robinson. That would be only way to earn A plus.

MM has done good job patching up holes with short term contracts and Trumaine Johnson is only the major FA signing he got for Jets. It doesn't matter who are they or what are their PFF grade.

I think it comes down to expectations. Jets fans had really high expectations heading into Free Agency. It was going to be hard to meet those. But you have to ding Macc for not getting Cousins and/or Robinson. From reports, it sounds like both players had doubts about our organization. That falls on Macc. He needs to do a better job selling our organization and the direction it is heading in. But I'm with you on the grading. For now, I gave him a B. That 3rd pick is going to swing my grade though. I don't mind the trade up at all. In fact, I wanted us to trade up.

This off-season specifically? I'd rate it as a B-

Trumaine Johnson is definitely the headliner and I am ecstatic about that, but with $100M, I expected more than one.

While I like Williamson and Pryor, we basically just back-filled positions with other players of similar quality aka what did we really achieve? Again, CB is the only position where we upgraded big time

Center doesn't count bc of how truly bad Wesley Johnson was

If it is for just this offseason I'd give him a B so far.  I can't argue to much with really any of the moves he has made, or more importantly have tried to make.  You have to take into account the types of offers he made.  He made the biggest offer to Allen Robinson, and Suh, it's not completely his fault that those guys went in another direction.  

All of FA pales in comparison though to trading up to #3, and just how he has handled the QB position in general.  We have needed to be aggressive in finding a QB for once, and finally it looks like we will be.

An unofficial grade for me would be "B" for this offseason. I think he's only 60% through his plan so far.      

I can't complain. Improved the rushing attack by picking up Crowell who is 1/6 RBs to average over 4ypc the last two years with more than 150 carries. Now he's in a better situation and possibly scheme. Our WR core looks pretty deep with Pryor in it. This group of talent is good enough for a rookie to work with. It wouldn't surprise me if we were looking to draft more Oline talent to develop behind Winters/Carp. I'm not worried about the TE position because I know we can draft someone or sign a vet good enough to start. 

Signing Tru was huge. If we find someone to replace Skrine, our secondary is complete and will allow us to bring out different blitz packages. Williamson had one of or the highest tackling grade from PFF and is 26. Signed insurance for Lee and might draft an OLB in the 3rd. It wouldn't shock me if we traded for one. I was hoping for Suh, but CJ did the right thing. That will be an interesting position fill. 

We finally got a KR threat. That's a pretty big deal. 

Overall, he has improved the team. I'm just waiting to see how this QB & OLB situation playout. Not only does he need to draft the right QB, I don't want him to be a 3rd string/inactive QB throughout the season. TB or McCown needs to be moved if we draft the right QB. 

Should have been more clear in my title.  The question was for his transactions/decisions in just 2018. It looks like most are assuming this to be the case, but wanted to clarify. There's still a lot of off-season to go. But I was hoping to get a gauge on how most thought he has done. It's all preliminary since the draft is still upcoming. Plus I think he will be active during camp cuts. 

"2018 Offseason", and everyone is talking about his body of work lol. I Give him a B- this offseason. We will be better this year, and likely upset some teams but we still aren't a playoff team, but getting closer. We are going to have a ton of money yet again next offseason, and if we choose the right QB, we may be a hot place to play in 2019. He has to hit on the QB and my fear is Josh Allen is going to be the pick and hes going to be miserable in year 1. 

Lost out on our #1 guy, should have pulled out sooner cause we lost other FAs due to it.  Failed to address the OL. Failed to address edge rusher. Failed to replace Wilkerson. 

We did improve our secondary. Got younger at ILB. Added some QB depth, added a solid RB and WR.  Our roster has a lot of holes that aren't going to be fixed, especially with 2 less draft picks. But if we end up drafting our franchise QB it will make the offseason much better.

When you figure we had close to 100 million to spend on FA's it was a disappointment.

Trumaine Johnson pick up is a A

Spencer Long  should help but is no Alan Faneca  B

Avery Williams  good player but the pick up is only a parallel move when you consider the outstanding year Davis had in 2017  B

Terry Bridgewater good pick up if healthy, but was it necessary  B-

Terrelle Pryor  this pick up was a necessity could be a big help   B 

Kevin Pierre Louis  good pick up should see a lot of playing time  B

Brandon Copeland   so so player                     C

Xaier Cooper   another so so player                C

Our two big targets in the FA market Cousins & AR went else where losing Cousins made us change everything.    F

I gave the whole FA market a B but after reading my post I change my mind to a C+

IMO I thought we would do a heck of a lot better

Now that Chris Johnson has a say who we get, if that is true I don't know what to say     F

I would score this offseason as a solid c+/b-.

When you add in the fact of all the money we had I think we did an adequate job this offseason.

I see Trumaine Johnson as the best signing and I like the pick up of Pryor. The Long signing was an upgrade but not exactly difficult for that to be honest. 

Weve seriously upgraded our CB1 position, wide receiver and Centre position. I expect similar production at ILB from what we’ve had last year. It’s just the level of upgrade bar the CB1 position  that will be most telling. 

Would of loved Cousins and AR15 like most of us. Shame it didn’t work out but I like the aggressiveness to move up in the draft. 

If I was to rate Macc at this point from the day he got the job it would probably be a D+ but he’s had a solid offseason which could end up being unreal if the QB we get at #3 becomes our franchise guy. 

Archived