How would you rate Macc's 2018 off-season to date?

SDotNova

Grade Macc's 2018 Off-season To Date  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How would rate Macc at this point in the off-season?

• A
    • A- or B+
    • B
    • B- or C+
    • C
    • C- or below
    • F*** Macc

I haven't done this yet, so here is my grade based on last years team vs this years

QB - since only 1 person can play qb and josh was here last year, at best this is the same with the back up spot much better - SAME

RB - I think it is better then last year, but with such a deep RB class, we could have got a 2nd or 3rd round RB that was just as good and younger - BETTER

WR - add Quincy and Pryor, we are defiantly better, 4 good WR although I'm not sure we have a #1 WR but I think we have 4 #2 - BETTER

TE - huge drop off, I think we are going to regress to 2 years ago when we had the worst TE production in the league - WORSE

O-LINE - was bad to start, long is a small upgrade but we needed BIG help so I think this is a fail - SAME, BAD

D-LINE - getting rid of Mo's bad attitude will be a plus, but not replacing the talent is a minus,  - WORSE

LB - I think this is an upgrade, DD wasn't going to repeat his career, contract year, on passing downs I think Williamson and KPL play ILB and move Lee to OLB for a fast pass rush, - BETTER

CB - biggest upgrade on the team, I think we could be top 3-5 vs the pass this yearJohnson is a #1 CB which lets Claiborne slip back to our #2 CB and Skrine our slot, - BETTER

S - was our strength last year and with a year of experience and better CB's, this will be even better - SAME

THE TRADE

I think if we end up with in no particular order Rosen or Darnold or Allen and the pick we get turns into a top 16 QB ( yes I have low expectations), I think the trade will be a win, but if we don't get a top 16 QB for the next 10-12 years, I think this is an epic FAIL and he should be fired and never get another job in football again.  trading 4 pick for 1 means you MUST get a long time starter out of the trade, anything else is inexcusable!!!

CONCLUSION

Im not convinced there are 3 top 16 QBs in this years draft, but only time will tell, I would have loved to get 1 more top FA this year with all the cap space we had, Norwell in the middle of our O-LINE would have been huge, bringing back Sheldon would have made our D_LINE an upgrade,

but thats passed now, based on $100 mill in cap space and the only slight upgrades, I would only give a C- at best, and if the trade becomes a 10-12 year top 16 QB I would move it up to a B-.

MY OFF SEASON IN RETROSPECT
CB - Trumain Johnson - same contract $14.5 average

OG - Andrew Norwell - much better contract then he got with Jacksonville - $15 average

OC - Weston Richburg - better contract then he got with SF - $11 average

ILB - Demario Davis - I would have offered him the same contract we gave Williamson - $7.5 average and if he didn't take then sign Williamson (maybe it happened this way but DD said the jets never made an offer)

TE - ASJ - same offer as Jacksonville and maybe a little better if needed - $5 average

CB - M. Claiborne - same contract

RB - I Crowell - same contract - $4 average

DE - Sheldon Richardson - same contract 2 extra years - $8 average

LB - Kevin Pierre-Louis - same contract - $3 average

I would have offered K. Cousins a 4 year $30 per all guaranteed contract, I dont think he would have taken but I would still have offered.  I WOULD NOT HAVE MADE THE DRAFT PICK TRADE, I think you stand put at 6 if a top 4 QB is there, you take him, if not S Barkley/Q. Nelson  or trade back for extra or future picks

QB - Teddy Bridgewater - if you don't get Cousins, I sign Bridgewater in Case we didn't get a top 4 QB at #6, we see if he is healthy and maybe the QB of the future,

with the second round picks we would have still had we upgrade O-LINE, EDGE RUSH and TE

dream draft

1 - Barkley/Nelson

2nd - OT

2nd - TE

3rd - EDGE

this way we would have upgraded o-line, D-Line, CB's, LB's, RB's( and huge if Barkley), TE would be same as last year but better then current.  QB would be at best same with a look at Teddy B to see if he can go back to being a top 16 QB.  

Trumaine was a great pickup. Like others have said this is the main upgrade. The line improvement is solid too. I don't think we improve anywhere else. Maybe rb. Wr is probably a wash. I just don't think Pryor is that good. 

For now it's a b-/c+ with a potential of the first pick is good. I swear if it's Josh Allen this off-season is an F and there's no way around it. 

Got to be pretty excited if your a fan.  Got in position to land a franchise QB, have another shot to reinvent Teddy and get assets for him which would be awesome and really did a nice job of adding some major upgrades at C and CB.  Would have loved to add AR-15 but looks like he had his heart set on going home.  Other than that we have a lot to look forward to and a killer cap situation heading into a loaded 2019 class.  If he hits on the QB then FA's next year are going to actually want to be here which is great.

A+ for me if he hits on the franchise QB.  

The issue might be for Macc that this rookie QB we draft might not even play this year (especially if it’s Allen). Therefor we will head into next years offseason still not knowing what we have at QB, but atleast have some optimism there. We are slated to have over 100mill in cap space again next year though.

13 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Got to be pretty excited if your a fan.  Got in position to land a franchise QB, have another shot to reinvent Teddy and get assets for him which would be awesome and really did a nice job of adding some major upgrades at C and CB.  Would have loved to add AR-15 but looks like he had his heart set on going home.  Other than that we have a lot to look forward to and a killer cap situation heading into a loaded 2019 class.  If he hits on the QB then FA's next year are going to actually want to be here which is great.

A+ for me if he hits on the franchise QB.  

You are correct. if we hit on a franchise QB that is the key to our whole offseason. Then I also will also give the offseason a A+. But that is a big IF. The only thing Mac can do now is give Chris Johnson a one way ticket to London to be with his brother. I sure don't want Chris Johnson being involved in any more personnel moves.

B for me. The one thing I think a lot are forgetting beyond the players are the contracts. For the most part, the contracts have been smartly structured. The Crowell one is the perfect example. We can get out of it with a 2 mil cap hit.  Spenceronly has guarantees year 1. Did a great job in that respect. As for talent, I was hoping for a better receiver on the offensive end, but not shocked. I don’t think we lost much at TE. Long is an upgrade to Johnson. Would’ve preferred Richburg but not at the price and Jensen isn’t a ZBS fit. On the defensive end, was hoping for more than one premier player than Johnson. Williamson was a good get but is a wash with Demario, just younger. Would’ve like to see us add an edge like Murphy.  Disappointed that we didn’t upgrade from Skrine, but hopefully he’ll return to year 1 form when he had talent around him and played well. 

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

B for me. The one thing I think a lot are forgetting beyond the players are the contracts. For the most part, the contracts have been smartly structured. The Crowell one is the perfect example. We can get out of it with a 2 mil cap hit.  Spenceronly has guarantees year 1. Did a great job in that respect. As for talent, I was hoping for a better receiver on the offensive end, but not shocked. I don’t think we lost much at TE. Long is an upgrade to Johnson. Would’ve preferred Richburg but not at the price and Jensen isn’t a ZBS fit. On the defensive end, was hoping for more than one premier player than Johnson. Williamson was a good get but is a wash with Demario, just younger. Would’ve like to see us add an edge like Murphy.  Disappointed that we didn’t upgrade from Skrine, but hopefully he’ll return to year 1 form when he had talent around him and played well. 

My reason why I gave him bad is he’s 4 FA periods in and 3 drafts in. How is this team any better? I don’t see any improvements really. Adams and Leo? Any GM would have drafted them. That’s my issue with him.

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

My reason why I gave him bad is he’s 4 FA periods in and 3 drafts in. How is this team any better? I don’t see any improvements really. Adams and Leo? Any GM would have drafted them. That’s my issue with him.

Oh yeah, i'm not looking at it as a whole.  I'm just looking at it for 2018, which is what I thought we were discussing.

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

This argument bugs me.

I specifically remember it being reported that Macc presented a win now and win later strategy to Woody when he was hired. Both Woody and Macc understood that the fans/media in NY have zero patience and were tired of losing. Macc knew that he had to come in and have some initial success in order to gain the leeway in order to completely gut the team and rebuild the right way (something we haven’t done since I’ve been a Jets fan). The problem is so many players had a career year that first season that Macc felt obligated to bring everyone back and give it one more go before truly starting the rebuild. While in retrospect I certainly wish he had started the rebuild in year 2, us Jets fans would have probably rioted after the season we had the year before. After year 2, Macc fulled embraced the rebuild and even got Woody to buy into it for the first time during his tenure as owner. This was, and always has been his plan. Let’s give him his chance to deliver us a real team that can succeed for years, not just a two year window like Mike T gave us. 

20 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

This argument bugs me.

I specifically remember it being reported that Macc presented a win now and win later strategy to Woody when he was hired. Both Woody and Macc understood that the fans/media in NY have zero patience and were tired of losing. Macc knew that he had to come in and have some initial success in order to gain the leeway in order to completely gut the team and rebuild the right way (something we haven’t done since I’ve been a Jets fan). The problem is so many players had a career year that first season that Macc felt obligated to bring everyone back and give it one more go before truly starting the rebuild. While in retrospect I certainly wish he had started the rebuild in year 2, us Jets fans would have probably rioted after the season we had the year before. After year 2, Macc fulled embraced the rebuild and even got Woody to buy into it for the first time during his tenure as owner. This was, and always has been his plan. Let’s give him his chance to deliver us a real team that can succeed for years, not just a two year window like Mike T gave us. 

Imo it’s never smart to spend big on 30yr old players unless you’re in win now mode. We were coming off a bad season his 1st year. We spent on several older players that offseason. Which left us no building blocks for this team with all that cap space. Add that after Leo his draft was a bust that year doesn’t help. He shouldn’t get commended for “almost” making the playoffs by signing overpriced 30yr olds. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

You are starting to sound more & more like Doumeyer.  Seriously you are right, somewhere in the Jet organization there is a failure on personnel moves including drafting. Is it the owner, GM, or scouting dept., at this point I really don't know. When you draft players like Mo, Sheldon, Snacks and Williams you would think we would have a powefull D line for years, well that all fell apart for one reason or another. And the excuse is always he didn't fit the system and I say what system. LETS HOPE WE HAVE IT RIGHT THIS YEAR.

6 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

My thing w the contracts (And it's not just you, I've seen a lot of people mention this) is that I have a hard time giving him props for doing things he's supposed to do. Structuring a contract well is what a GM is supposed to do. You don't just give out a contract and not protect long term finances. This is why I can't cite this to add points to his off-season. Albeit, I agree. He's generally protected our long term finances 

1 hour ago, Colt45fool said:

My thing w the contracts (And it's not just you, I've seen a lot of people mention this) is that I have a hard time giving him props for doing things he's supposed to do. Structuring a contract well is what a GM is supposed to do. You don't just give out a contract and not protect long term finances. This is why I can't cite this to add points to his off-season. Albeit, I agree. He's generally protected our long term finances 

Not to mention, I think most if not all GMs structure contracts this way now...

I'm fairly happy so far. We're far from the most attractive landing place for free agents, so we did alright I think.

I like the Trumaine Johnson signing a lot because defenses really are different with a good #1 CB, and Claiborne (who I liked already) will do better in the #2 spot. I really want to get rid of Skrine though. I lost patience with him every single season.

Replacing Wesley Johnson was a must. I'd have liked more O-line help than just Spencer Long but we'd have had to throw out a lot of money for that so I can't fault Macc too much.

We've done enough to ensure that Hackenberg and Petty should be nowhere near the team ever again and that was goal #1. There's just something about trading up to #3 instead of #1 or #2 that seems awfully dangerous. Trading three second round picks to get the third best QB in the draft, you better hope that third best QB is still pretty good. The team is worthless without a good QB though, and the aggressive move up to make a legitimate attempt at finding one instead of taking flyers on guys like Hackenberg is definitely the right way to go.

I'm not a big fan of Crowell or Pryor, but we didn't exactly break the bank for them so I'm fine with it.

Archived