SPRING IS SPRUNG MOCK

Karnage84

It's spring and we have begun to see how Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia want to work things.

Trade #20 to New Orleans Saints for #27, 2018 3rd and 2019 2nd

The draft appears to be a bit top heavy at QB this year. An early run at the position will help the Lions in two ways - 1) Push solid defensive prospects down and 2) Force teams who need a QB in waiting to move up.

1) Harold Landry, EDGE, Boston College: A perfect storm combines into Landry in the first - the Ziggy Ansah contract situation, Lions need on the DL, scheme familiarity with his DC and versatility (stand up/hand in ground)

2) Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia: A great combination of power, size and speed. Chubb has come back from his injury and performed exceptionally well with teammate Sony Michel. He performed better than Michel in some of the combine drills despite being 20 lbs heavier.

3a) William Clapp, OC/OG, LSU: A versatile player, Clapp has played Center and Guard at LSU. He was a part of the OL that helped Forunette and Guice have success.

3b) Tim Settle, DT, Virginia Tech: Sylvester Williams was signed to a one year deal. Settle is going to come in as his replacement. He can play on different spots of the D line. Likely is an instant contributor

4) Kameron Kelly, S, San Diego State: Comes in as the heir apparent to Glover Quin.

5) Shaq Griffin, LB, Central Florida: He's going to fall due to having one hand. He has proved that it is a non-issue at UCF. He's a bit small as a 3-4 LB but should be a major contributor in sub-packages and special teams. Would love to root for this guy.

7) Will Richardson, OT, NC State: A large and athletic prospect. Could be groomed to become our RT of the future. Provides some depth in the event that Wagner gets injured.

I could get behind this.  I don't love Chubb but the position is a need for sure.  TBH I don't love any of the backs outside of Barkley and Guice but think we need to take one just for potential upside.  Given that I wouldn't take one until the 4th or later since I don't see a huge gape between guys projected in the second and 5th. I wouldn't be mad at this draft at all though.  Definitely fills some needs.

27 minutes ago, ManeLine said:

I doubt Landry is there, but I love it. Get value and fill needs with really good prospects. 

I was following a Fanspeak draftboard. If it's not Landry, a guy like Sam Hubbard might be considered in that spot. I would have liked to draft a TE and a CB. The value wasn't there and there were other pressing needs.

13 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I could get behind this.  I don't love Chubb but the position is a need for sure.  TBH I don't love any of the backs outside of Barkley and Guice but think we need to take one just for potential upside.  Given that I wouldn't take one until the 4th or later since I don't see a huge gape between guys projected in the second and 5th. I wouldn't be mad at this draft at all though.  Definitely fills some needs.

I probably like the RB's better than you do but would agree that we could probably wait. The issue that I would run into is losing out on some of the guys I wanted due to a run at the position. I'm not thrilled with some of the backs and didn't want to get stuck with a guy I don't like. The prevailing thought is that Chubb is a 2nd round guy. I didn't think he'd be there in the 3rd.

7 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I probably like the RB's better than you do but would agree that we could probably wait. The issue that I would run into is losing out on some of the guys I wanted due to a run at the position. I'm not thrilled with some of the backs and didn't want to get stuck with a guy I don't like. The prevailing thought is that Chubb is a 2nd round guy. I didn't think he'd be there in the 3rd.

I get it, and I don't hate Chubb, just not in love with him either.  I really dislike this RB class but that doesn't seem to be the consensus.  I think I prefer Kerryon Johnson of the 2nd tier RBs. Then Penny and Freeman.  I think one of them at least maybe all of Chubb, Michel, Freeman, Johnson, and Penny are available in the third.  RBs who aren't elite tend to fall. But either way, you hit on need, got solid players, and overall I like the draft. 

Landry to me at this point is a one trick pony.. your ok with him playing lb? Not i..then with his play style has ankle issues..zero speed to power..routinely blocked by tes..wont be able to set an edge in the nfl. He's a one down player imo not what I want with my first pick. Bruce Irvin cliff avril type

You probably know how I feel about rb in the second..if Landry didn't kill it for me well any draft that has us drafting a rb  in the first two rounds does

Like positions tho

Very solid draft imo.  Maybe move back again in the 2nd rd, add another late pick this year or next, then either go OG or RB depending on value. Then take RB or OG in the 3rd.  If it goes down like you wrote it, I wouldn't be mad.

46 minutes ago, lioneye22 said:

Very solid draft imo.  Maybe move back again in the 2nd rd, add another late pick this year or next, then either go OG or RB depending on value. Then take RB or OG in the 3rd.  If it goes down like you wrote it, I wouldn't be mad.

I had to half-reach on Chubb as I think he is building up a solid 2nd round grade. A move down to grab him and a 5th could work. I wouldn't rule us out trading Abdullah away for a 6th or 7th. We all have our own thoughts on Abdullah but he's still young and on a cheap contract. If some other team feels that we've misused him they could take a low cost risk on him. We traded away a 7th for Jonathan Banks... Abdullah has more value than that.

11 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

Landry to me at this point is a one trick pony.. your ok with him playing lb? Not i..then with his play style has ankle issues..zero speed to power..routinely blocked by tes..wont be able to set an edge in the nfl. He's a one down player imo not what I want with my first pick. Bruce Irvin cliff avril type

You probably know how I feel about rb in the second..if Landry didn't kill it for me well any draft that has us drafting a rb  in the first two rounds does

Like positions tho

Every video that I've seen has Landry playing from a stand up position. Ansah would likely stay with his hand in the ground.

I'm actually having a harder time filling out the DE spot in a 3-man front with Williams at NT.

16 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

Like positions tho

I would take a Bruce Irvin/Avril type player at the end of the 1st. 

Not asking for a superstar at the end of the 1st. Just someone that will contribute and maybe develop into a pro bowl caliber player.

10 hours ago, ManeLine said:

I would take a Bruce Irvin/Avril type player at the end of the 1st. 

Not asking for a superstar at the end of the 1st. Just someone that will contribute and maybe develop into a pro bowl caliber player.

He's more like avril to me (Who went in the third rd I believe)..hes gonna take some years to come around. Landry feels light even on film no sand in his pants...he is a liability in the run game. at bc his own coaches saw it/ lived it. I'd rather someone that could contribute more myself. 

14 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Every video that I've seen has Landry playing from a stand up position. Ansah would likely stay with his hand in the ground.

I'm actually having a harder time filling out the DE spot in a 3-man front with Williams at NT.

I meant standing up chasing receivers and rbs. 

Ya de spot kinda hard I'm not sure what they would want there..  

I'm thinking they want someone like Greene  (sp?) From USC but I could be wrong.  

Archived