Valahalla Mock Draft: New York Giants On The Clock

SemperFeist

If they stay put at #2, I think QB is the only way to go. You have an opportunity to go from one borderline HOF QB to another franchise QB. You hope that you'll never be picking this high again. I can see an argument for Chubb, but if you stay at #2 I don't see how you can justify taking Nelson or Barkley.

18 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Hardly any teams draft QBs in the 1st round who don’t need to play them right away because they have good enough established starters. Rodgers and Rivers followed that path successfully, but just miss Benoit’s arbitrary 12 year cut off. 

Mahomes will be the first QB in a long time to be in that position. If the Giants can take Rosen or Mayfield, they should.

I personally don’t believe they hang onto this pick. Even with trading JPP, if they stay, Barkley wouldn’t be out of the question.  Gettleman wasn’t worried about taking a RB early in Carolina, this would be an even more improved version of McCafrey.

Just take the best player to help Eli out right now. Go all in.

23 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I personally don’t believe they hang onto this pick. Even with trading JPP, if they stay, Barkley wouldn’t be out of the question.  Gettleman wasn’t worried about taking a RB early in Carolina, this would be an even more improved version of McCafrey.

Just take the best player to help Eli out right now. Go all in.

If they aren't in love with any of the QB's, then they absolutely need to trade back and maximize the value of that pick. With the drama going on with Beckham right now and their defense coming apart at the seams both on and off the field last year, I don't view them as a "go all in" candidate. They are quite a ways from being competitive unless the defense all of the sudden starts liking each other and trying again. In my opinion,  you take the QB or you get as many picks as you can to help the rebuild.

I personally believe the Giants should and will draft Josh Allen.  It's the perfect situation for him, because he'll need to go the Aaron Rodgers' route of sitting for 2-3 years...and with Eli sitting there, it's the perfect opportunity to do so. There is absolutely no question, for me, that Josh Allen is the most talented QB of the bunch...Josh Rosen isn't...and with his maturity issues, he's an absolutely terrible fit for the New York market.  He can get away with some of the nonsense in a more laidback type of sports media market like LA, but the NY media market will eat him alive.  

What are his maturity issues? That he's outspoken? I think that is totally overblown and shouldn't concern anyone.

Josh Allen might have more physical ability, but he is definitely not the most talented. He's not been able to harness and control that ability the way that Rosen has. I had this same argument with a friend not too long ago about Jay Cutler. He was arguing that he was so talented because of his arm strength. I liken arm strength to height in basketball. Some people have the physical trait of being tall. It does not make them a good basketball player. Troy Williamson had the physical trait of being really really fast. He was not a good football player. 

We have yet to see Josh Allen truly utilize his physical abilities the way Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold, and Jackson have.

Archived