Redskins sign Pernell McPhee

49erurtaza

21 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I remember when he was a hot free agent signing for the Bears.

6, 4, 4 sack totals each season probably wasn't what they were looking for.

Depth he'd be solid.

The sack total wasn't a problem it was his health.  When he was in the game and healthy he was certainly worth the hype, but unfortunately too few games like that.  If they can keep McPhee's snap count low he'll be a good signing for Washington.

3 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Depending on the contract im gonna be pissed at the Falcons for letting him slip away from us if it's for cheap.   We for sure could have used him to replace Clayborne as the bigger DE/DT. 

I don't really think he would be a good fit as a down lineman anyhow. Even as a situational player. What makes him effective is how he uses his quick burst off the snap to beat his lineman and with his hand on the ground he would lose some of that, and he's too limited to make up for it in other ways.  

18 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Depending on the contract im gonna be pissed at the Falcons for letting him slip away from us if it's for cheap.   We for sure could have used him to replace Clayborne as the bigger DE/DT. 

I doubt his body would hold up in that position.  

McPhee was an absolute beast his first half of a season in Chicago. Set the edge with authority and was bull rushing tackles into oblivion. Then the knee issues cropped back up. It was the reason Baltimore never extended him and it turned out to be the smart move. McPhee was okay at times in 2016 when he was healthy enough to play but the elite explosion was gone. He dropped weight last season to try and take some pressure off but it didn't add any speed and it sapped him of some power. He did stay on the field more though. As a rotational edge player he is probably okay for another year or two, but be prepared for him to be out at any given time and just be prepared that he no longer possesses any special traits and that whatever ability he does still have could be gone at the drop of a hat.

Archived