Leisher's long time no mock, mock.

jleisher

Again, using the fanspeak mock simulator this was my draft for our beloved Green Bay Packers.  Sorry, no free agent and cap stuff, just a draft.  Realistic or not, I would be happy with this draft.

Using Matt Miller's big board and Lindy's scouting reports for this mock.

1#14.  Denzel Ward  CB  Ohio St.  (Surprise drop, so I jumped.)  Speed demon.  Football IQ grows with every snap.  Better core strength and toughness than most his size.  Quiet, humble individual, but strong competitive spirit.  (Why?)  Meets the Packers top need.  Could have gone with Josh Jackson CB Iowa.

(See a player I want dropping, trade up with Panthers, send 2#13 and 2019 1st rd for pick #24)

1#24.  Marcus Davenport  Edge  UTSA   Rushed from both sides of the formation.  Most comfortable standing up on the edges.  Excellent arm length and wingspan.  Physical attitude.  Fully invested in football with excellent work habits.  (Why?)  Again, meets the Packers second top need.

(Again, I see a player dropping that I want.  Trade up with Tampa Bay, send 3#12 and 2020 2nd rd pick for 2#6.)

2#6.  Will Hernandez  G  UTEP    Plug and play candidate at RG.  Balanced and technically refined in pass protection and is a mauler in the running game.  Plays with the fire of a defender, jolting opponents with an explosive pop.  Coaches rave about his work ethic and commitment.  (Why?)  Need to protect #12, meets IMO the Packers third top need.

4#1.  DaeSean Hamilton  WR  Penn St.    Crafty route runner with subtle tempo to leverage patterns.  Excellent field sense.  Natural ball tracking and judgement skills.  First class person, with team first attitude.  (Why?)  Nelson's replacement, route running is key for #12.  Hamilton's strength.  IMO meets Packers fourth top need.

4#33.  Troy Fumagalli  TE  WI    Seasoned route runner with vacuum hands.  High effort blocker with sound hand technique.  Competitive make-up that earns him respect in the locker room.  (Why?)  True, not my first choice at TE, but have read that the Packers are high on him.  Meets Packers sixth team need, IMO.

5#1.  Godwin Igwebuike  S  Northwestern    Impressive between the ears on and off the field.  Charismatic leader with steady production on ST coverage.  Hungry run defender, finds quickest route to the football.  Aggressive ball skills.  (Why?)  Adds depth to the Safety position.  Meets Packers fifth team need, IMO.

5#35.  Skai Moore Jr.  LB  S. Carolina    An instinctive defender, showing good key and diagnosis skills, as well as the agility and balance to elude blockers.  Able to drop into coverage quickly.  Aggressive take on mentality.  (Why?)  Could out perform his draft selection.  LB depth and ST player.

5#37.  Cedrick Wilson  WR  Boise St.    Natural pass catching skills and is very efficient from catch to runner.  Smooth strider with vertical wheels to stretch the field.  Outstanding tracking skills.  Coaches speak highly of his professionalism.  (Why?)  Was able to get two of my favorite WR in the draft that fit the Packers needs.

6#12.  Isaac Yiadom  CB  Boston College    Excellent blend of height and length.  Enjoys press coverage.  Aggressively attacks blocks en route to the screen or ball carrier in the flat.  Confident and plays big in critical situations.  (Why?)  Adds to CB depth and ST

6#33.  Tray  Matthews  S  Auburn    Football smart with a take charge attitude.  Loves to stick runners in the hole.  Meets blockers from any angle with a physical mentality.  Can play either S position.  (Why?)  Depth at S and ST player

7#14.  Tegray Scales  ILB/OLB  Indiana    Tackling machine.  LB and ST depth.

7#21.  Coleman Shelton  C  Washington    His mobility and technique will be appreciated by zone blocking and up tempo pass oriented schemes.  Very competitive.  Highly respected by teammates and staff for his work ethic, including time spent in the film room.  (Why?)  Backup Center.

7 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I would be the happiest man on earth if this actually happened. I have a better chance of dating J Law than this actually happening. 

I'll let you know when I'm about to drop J Lo off so you can pick her up :)

While I like the players, that's a lot to give up. A #2 and #3 for a guard?!?  Too  much, IMO. Davenport better hit too if you give next years #1 for him. In fact he better be a real stud! risky but I could get on board.

I cant see Ward falling. If he did, I'd be conflicted. I have always been on the Landry/Davenport bandwagon because I fear that EDGE will be nowhere near as good as CB in the 2nd and 3rd. I am however warming up to several other EDGE guys that may be there and could help. Only if Ward were to fall though, I wouldn't trade up for him unless it cost me a 3rd or less.

2 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

While I like the players, that's a lot to give up.

I'd argue it's too little. I don't think anyone is giving up 2.6 for 3.13 and a 2nd rounder for next year which is likely to be one of the last picks there.

No 1st or 2nd picks for next year is a BIG no-go for me.

39 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

I'd argue it's too little. I don't think anyone is giving up 2.6 for 3.13 and a 2nd rounder for next year which is likely to be one of the last picks there.

No 1st or 2nd picks for next year is a BIG no-go for me.

1st rd pick is 2019, the 2nd rd pick was 2020.

3 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

While I like the players, that's a lot to give up. A #2 and #3 for a guard?!?  Too  much, IMO. Davenport better hit too if you give next years #1 for him. In fact he better be a real stud! risky but I could get on board.

I cant see Ward falling. If he did, I'd be conflicted. I have always been on the Landry/Davenport bandwagon because I fear that EDGE will be nowhere near as good as CB in the 2nd and 3rd. I am however warming up to several other EDGE guys that may be there and could help. Only if Ward were to fall though, I wouldn't trade up for him unless it cost me a 3rd or less.

I don't either.  If we want him we might have to trade up to get him.

Just now, Gopackgonerd said:

If we somehow got Ward and Davenport, I would nut so much there would be no nut left to nut.

So after the draft you'd be nutless for the rest of your life (?) and you're actually hoping for that?

A committed Packer fan you are indeed!

Willing to give up his nut for the team :)

1 minute ago, Leader said:

So after the draft you'd be nutless for the rest of your life (?) and you're actually hoping for that?

A committed Packer fan you are indeed!

Willing to give up his nut for the team :)

dont worry, I got backup nut for the future.

Archived