Teams that would need a player like Eric Reid

BroncoSojia

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

I'd like to say that I'm surprised the Chargers haven't gone after him... and at least offered him the same contract they were to Tre Boston.  But then Spanos gonna Spanos... and with the son in sitting as VP of Player Personnel, he's not going to do anything to cross the old man.  And Dean is most likely one of those owners who is vehemently anti-Reid for non-football reasons.

I just don't think the Chargers value safety that highly. 

In 2015 we all thought they were going to draft Jalen Ramsey and move him to free safety.  They drafted Bosa. 

In 2016 we all thought they were going to draft Malik Hooker.  To everyone's surprise, they drafted a wide receiver and waited until day three to draft a safety although to be fair Lamp and Feeney were draft steals.

In 2017, they let Tre Boston walk. 

1 hour ago, Duluther said:

Why is there no thread about Kenny Vaccaro... a player you could argue is a better safety?

Still baffles me why the Saints gave Coleman 6M per year given the way the safety market is. Could have sat pretty and had their choice of Reid, Coleman, Vaccaro et all.

50 minutes ago, Crickett said:

I just don't think the Chargers value safety that highly. 

In 2015 we all thought they were going to draft Jalen Ramsey and move him to free safety.  They drafted Bosa. 

In 2016 we all thought they were going to draft Malik Hooker.  To everyone's surprise, they drafted a wide receiver and waited until day three to draft a safety although to be fair Lamp and Feeney were draft steals.

In 2017, they let Tre Boston walk. 

There's a difference between not valuing the safety high in the draft (Ramsey and Hooker) and not valuing them at all. 

Tre Boston is a FA this year.  He played for them last year on a 1-year deal.  But he was also thought to be asking in the $7-8m/yr range coming into this offseason and he doesn't exactly tackle that well, so no one should blame them for not rushing out to retain him.  He was a worthwhile starter at the right price, but replaceable.  But if the offer they were willing to put on the table for Boston - because they didn't just up and decide, oh, we don't want him anymore, he and his agent have just - thus far - priced him out of what they were willing (or should) have been paying him.  If Reid is amenable to that money then they should be all over him because he's a better player than Boston is and younger.  They should, but they won't because of the stuff we're not supposed to talk about.

3 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

My list is a bit more expansive lol. IMO, the Chiefs, Chargers, Colts, Dolphins, Rams, Bears, Panthers Bucs, Redskins, and Cowboys could all use a safety of his caliber. Some more than others, but still. 

The Rams are set at FS and SS.

47 minutes ago, Magnifico said:

Still baffles me why the Saints gave Coleman 6M per year given the way the safety market is. Could have sat pretty and had their choice of Reid, Coleman, Vaccaro et all.

I think the Saints expected the safety market to be more competitive.

36 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is what he played for us (along with lb). He hasn't been a FS since like 2014 I think. 

??? He's played the FS position in every season during his career. He's just not been confined to it like most traditional safeties are.

Last year he opened up the season against the Panthers playing both safety positions. He played FS (along with seemingly every other defensive position) depending on the offensive formation and personnel much like he did in 2015 and 2016. 

14 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

??? He's played the FS position in every season during his career. He's just not been confined to it like most traditional safeties are.

Last year he opened up the season against the Panthers playing both safety positions. He played FS (along with seemingly every other defensive position) depending on the offensive formation and personnel much like he did in 2015 and 2016. 

I think I phrased that poorly, because yeah there will be interchangeable roles during the game. But  if you're going with the more traditional nomenclature of fs / SS, he wouldn't have been the one you called the FS. This year he was in the kam chancellor role with Ward and Colbert doing the single high Thomas role....though now that I'm thinking on it,  bethea may have played the traditional SS role  previously :$

4 hours ago, Duluther said:

Why is there no thread about Kenny Vaccaro... a player you could argue is a better safety?

You know the answer to this.

I think Vaccaro is better but no by much. I wonder what the asking price is from these two ? 

Archived