Next Great NFL Wide Receiver?

AlNFL19

Rules:

It has to be a guy with less than 500 career receiving yards and who wasn't drafted in the first round (ex.: Laquon Treadwell), as those guys are more breakout candidates. Rather, who's the super-sleeper destined to become the next superstar wideout?

My Take:

Malcolm Mitchell, WR, New England Patriots - He's a great receiver and a great guy. He's coming along at just the right time - he's developing a rapport with Brady just as Edelman is getting older and Cooks may be out the door for financial reasons. He's also young enough to develop alongside the next great Patriot quarterback, if they draft a guy. Mitchell looked good in his single season not on IR, and features decent speed, good route-running, good hands, etc. I'm really rooting for the guy.

What's your take?

I guess I can try to convince myself that Bruce Ellington is going to stay healthy for 16 and put up some good numbers as the #3 behind Hopkins and Fuller. Ellington looked like a dangerous player with Watson in the lineup.

5 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Actually I forgot about Juju Smith Shuster.

Juju had over 900 yards and 7 TDs whilst only starting 7 games.     Doesnt really fit the criteria set by the OP. B|

24 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

Rules:

It has to be a guy with less than 500 career receiving yards and who wasn't drafted in the first round (ex.: Laquon Treadwell), as those guys are more breakout candidates. Rather, who's the super-sleeper destined to become the next superstar wideout?

My Take:

Malcolm Mitchell, WR, New England Patriots - He's a great receiver and a great guy. He's coming along at just the right time - he's developing a rapport with Brady just as Edelman is getting older and Cooks may be out the door for financial reasons. He's also young enough to develop alongside the next great Patriot quarterback, if they draft a guy. Mitchell looked good in his single season not on IR, and features decent speed, good route-running, good hands, etc. I'm really rooting for the guy.

What's your take?

I'm rooting for the guy too, but even with Amendola out of the picture, where does he fit in the total targets for Brady?

I rank targets for Brady by total targets (assuming everyone stays healthy):

1. Edelman

2. Cooks

3. Gronk

4. White

5. Britt

6. Hogan

7. Burkhead

I don't see Mitchell breaking into the top 3 who each could get 100 targets and White getting 70-80 targets.  Unless Mitchell outplays the top 3 (or they get injured), I don't see him getting any more than 60-70 touches max.  Britt is supposed to get a much larger role in 2018, so he's got competition for 3rd WR.

Archived