Suh signs with Rams 1 year 14 million

49erurtaza

8 hours ago, BAConrad said:

Dumbest take yet?

Jesus. 

People here understand what "complete" means right? Do you?

Im not trying to hate. I really am not. I have legitimate concerns about this LAR team and I voiced them. I also think they're 100% one of a handful of NFC teams who have a real shot at getting to and winning the SB. 

But people are getting wayyy too caught up in the moment here. Suh is a great signing on paper. His play in Miami suggests that he is, believe it or not, either at or close to the top of his game still at 31. 

And Peters was a fantastic addition. Those two are great to elite players at their positions. However they both have legitimate character issues or histories of poor judgement while in games. Locker room chemistry isnt some myth. Its real. I know this firsthand from not one but two players currently playing (one of which happens to be on the Rams...my boy Sam Shields). And its plausible to think that this team might not have the most tight knit locker room. 

And back to their additions....I mentioned the big two. 

The other ones...arent good. Talib has been on a steady decline for a couple years now. People are acting like hes the same player as he was in 2015 (which reminds me how INSANELY STUPID anyone is to say that this defense is as good as that Denver unit. Because thats a farce). But he isnt what he was. Hes going to be a liability, IYAM. I like Roby a lot as a nickel. But hes not new. 

Sam Shields should stop being brought up when trying to hype up the secondary also. He is 31. Hasnt played in 2 years. I dont know if hell even get on the field before getting another concussion or injury. And this is coming from someone who is legitimate friends with him. Known him since i was 11. I wish him nothing but the best but as someone who cares about his health I am actually worried about him playing. 

Anyway, i guess i got off track somewhat. What im trying to get at is why I have no clue as to what makes this team more complete than either Minnesota or (omg yes Im gonna say it cause im just so insecure and stuff) Philly. The Rams have 2 WRs who are actual NFL caliber players. And neither are #1 guys. That worries me. McVay is one of the best offensive minds in the game along with Shannahan (Kyle) and Pederson. But i dont see how he can hide that hole really. Watkins had weak stats sure, but he was used a ton to help get other guys open. 

They basically have those 3 big guys at DL and not much else. Sorry, but Dominique Easley isnt a real NFL player. If he wasnt a former first round pick, hed be on the street. And then there's the lack of much anyone at all at LB or any edge rush to speak of. (and yes @jrry32 I know there's a draft. But if u think that they will somehow address every single hole through it then youre elusional. 

I think that theres absolutely a chance that Im proven wrong. Personally, I view this team as a serious contender, but sorry if I just dont think that they're more of a complete, 53 man team, than any one else in the league. 

Let's just address a few of the silly things you continue to post:

1. Our coaching staff took a crap culture in place from the Fisher era and built a winning culture in their first year. I'm not even remotely worried about our locker-room. Our HC, DC, and ST Coach all have reputations for connecting with players in a way few coaches can.

2. Aqib Talon is a liability? Try talking to Broncos fans or anyone else who has actually watched him play.

3. The Rams have 2 WRs who are NFL caliber? Laughable. Cooper was an All Pro special teamer and is a solid backup slot guy. Thomas is good at getting vertical and great on special teams. And Josh Reynolds was consider by many, including myself, to be one of the biggest sleepers in last year's draft. He's a tall long-strider who has the speed to get vertical, the suddenness to be more than a one trick pony, the ability to win in the air, a major chip on his shoulder, and tremendous production in the SEC. If we employed your silly logic to all WRs after their rookie year, Antonio Brown and Adam Thielen wouldn't have been considered NFL caliber WRs. C'mon.

4. We have "basically 3 DLs?" How ignorant can you get? Ethan Westbrooks had more sacks than Timmy Jernigan and Vimny Curry last year. Dfominique Easley was a stud for us in 2016 as a rotational DL. Morgan Fox had as many sacks as Jernigan and is a quality rotational piece behind Brockers and Donald. Hell, Tanzel Smart might also surprise us because he won't be forced to play out of position (he played NT last year) this year. We have the best starting 3-4 DL in football with a strong group of rotational players. Stop talking trash about guys you've never seen play.

5. Yes, I feel quite confident we'll address our major holes. We have 9 picks and only 2 or 3 "holes" in our starting lineup. It won't be difficult for us to find a contributor at ILB and OLB in this Draft. Beyond that, we have plenty of picks to improve our depth. The only holes I'm unsure about us filling are depth behind Whitworth and Goff. But I'm hoping we inquire about Cody Kessler, and I expect us to draft a LT to develop on Day 3. The fact that we have one of top 5 OL Coaches in the NFL gives me confidence that we'll be okay.

I have full faith the Rams will be very good. This also wouldn't be the first time a team made a bunch of splash FA moves and they backfired. Rams fans need to be cautiously aware that they did add some interesting locker room personalities to the team. Suh has his reputation and theirs a reason the Chiefs were okay moving on from a stud CB in his prime.

51 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Let's just address a few of the silly things you continue to post:

1. Our coaching staff took a crap culture in place from the Fisher era and built a winning culture in their first year. I'm not even remotely worried about our locker-room. Our HC, DC, and ST Coach all have reputations for connecting with players in a way few coaches can.

Easy to do when the Rams don't seemingly have any issue players. If you think Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib and Suh don't come with some baggage...I don't know what to tell you.

2. Aqib Talon is a liability? Try talking to Broncos fans or anyone else who has actually watched him play.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't describe Talib as a liability but he's 32 and once guys are in their 30s that proverbial "wall" can hit quick.

3. The Rams have 2 WRs who are NFL caliber? Laughable. Cooper was an All Pro special teamer and is a solid backup slot guy. Thomas is good at getting vertical and great on special teams. And Josh Reynolds was consider by many, including myself, to be one of the biggest sleepers in last year's draft. He's a tall long-strider who has the speed to get vertical, the suddenness to be more than a one trick pony, the ability to win in the air, a major chip on his shoulder, and tremendous production in the SEC. If we employed your silly logic to all WRs after their rookie year, Antonio Brown and Adam Thielen wouldn't have been considered NFL caliber WRs. C'mon.

Disclaiming that you don't have great WRs by arguing how good your WRs are on special teams is an...interesting take.

4. We have "basically 3 DLs?" How ignorant can you get? Ethan Westbrooks had more sacks than Timmy Jernigan and Vimny Curry last year. Dfominique Easley was a stud for us in 2016 as a rotational DL. Morgan Fox had as many sacks as Jernigan and is a quality rotational piece behind Brockers and Donald. Hell, Tanzel Smart might also surprise us because he won't be forced to play out of position (he played NT last year) this year. We have the best starting 3-4 DL in football with a strong group of rotational players. Stop talking trash about guys you've never seen play.

I agree the Rams probably have the best/deepest DL in the league but comparing all your rotational DL to a guy who had a very down year in sacks (2.5) is again...an interesting take.

5. Yes, I feel quite confident we'll address our major holes. We have 9 picks and only 2 or 3 "holes" in our starting lineup. It won't be difficult for us to find a contributor at ILB and OLB in this Draft. Beyond that, we have plenty of picks to improve our depth. The only holes I'm unsure about us filling are depth behind Whitworth and Goff. But I'm hoping we inquire about Cody Kessler, and I expect us to draft a LT to develop on Day 3. The fact that we have one of top 5 OL Coaches in the NFL gives me confidence that we'll be okay.

Yeah, this seems pretty spot on.

I don't have a horse in this race...but I responded in bold.

8 hours ago, BAConrad said:

Minnesota however makes it complicated, bc I see them as being huge threats for 2018 at least. However years from now, I dont know if they will be. Diggs, Hunter, Barr, and Kendricks are all due for huge paydays. And since none have been extended early (hey Spielman, try taking a page out of Rosemans book in that regard). With Cousins' deal, I see no way they keep more than 2 of those guys. And that's a big deal IMO

I just have to respond to this, I understand this is the Suh thread but it seems to kind of derailed. Yes, the players you mentioned are all due for new contracts after the 2018 season. I'd look for Spielman to get one extension (Barr, Hunter) done just around training camp starting. Harrison Smith signed his extension in June 2016,  Rhodes, Griffen, and Joseph in July/August of 2017. This isn't a new concept to Spielman if the player deserves it.

I believe we can also get out of/restructure a couple veteran contracts (Rudolph/Sendejo), if we choose to, to create additional space to sign these guys. 

I believe OTC is pretty accurate, I'm no cap guru, but this is showing the Vikes having $55M in cap space next year and that doesn't account for the likely increase in the salary cap. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/minnesota-vikings

Will it be tight to resign all 4? Absolutely. Is it impossible? No. We'll also have to account for the possibility of re-signing Richardson and picking up Waynes' 5th year option. Fun times!

47 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

I don't have a horse in this race...but I responded in bold.

1. Sammy Watkins was supposedly a cancer. He talked about how playing for our team completely changed his attitude.

3. He claimed our BACKUP WRs aren't NFL caliber. That's BS. If you want to talk about Woods and Kupp, I am happy to do so.

4. Not when we're talking about our supposedly terrible rotational DLs vs. a starter on the Eagles DL full of hall of famers.

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

1. Sammy Watkins was supposedly a cancer. He talked about how playing for our team completely changed his attitude.

3. He claimed our BACKUP WRs aren't NFL caliber. That's BS. If you want to talk about Woods and Kupp, I am happy to do so.

4. Not when we're talking about our supposedly terrible rotational DLs vs. a starter on the Eagles DL full of hall of famers.

Fair enough. I don't recall hearing any talk about Watkins being a cancer tbh, Bills seemed to just be sick of his injuries/under performance. Talib/Peters/Suh have all had legit issues during their time in the league. Like I said, I don't see the Rams melting down but in the same breathe Rams fans need to stop brushing the players issues under the rug like they dont exist.

Dude...  @jrry32 ....

You seriously gonna tell me im wrong about your 3-5 WRs by telling me how awesome someone is on special teams?

Come on dude.  Take off the glasses. Your WRs outside of Woods and Kupp are hot garbage. Im not saying someone cant come out of nowhere and play well, but I see no signs or indicators that Pharoah Cooper is all of a sudden anything more than a special teams ace.

Im talking about guys who can catch the football on offense. I just think that Woods and Kupp are the best two WRs on that team is being completely ignored by some of these homers talking about how the Rams are by far the most complete roster in football. 

I never brought the Eagles into this recent argument about your teams depth so i dont know why you feel it necessary to pretend like Im sitting here crapping on the Rams while glorifying my team. Because Im not. 

But since you brought it up....The Rams DL is NOT at all deeper than Phillys. That is just stupid. We have literally 5-7 guys who are ESTABLISHED players that rotate in and out. Its so deep that Fletcher Cox doesnt need to play even close to as many snaps as almost any other elite DT. 

As far as your 3 man front (hard to compare though because of the different schemes) goes, the Rams right now look like they have the best 3 man starting line in the league. Absolutely. But youre way overrating your depth if you think your backups are on the level of ours. All you do is say "Well player A is going to improve because i say so and we will just find someone in the draft to fill this spot". 

Look, I dont think any team is 100% perfect and without holes. I think that because of these splashy big name additions, the Rams are getting overrated and people are ignoring the areas of the team that they need to fix. Thats all. as far as I see it, this Rams team absolutely can do what we did last year by finding the right guys in draft and in FA post draft to fill out their team and make that SB run. The pieces are in place.

But until they do, Im gonna stick with my stance that they dont deserve to be mentioned as being better than either Philly or Minny.

Very interested in the Rams this year. McVay is on tape now. It's going to be interesting to see how well he counters to the league's initial counter. That's how successes are quantified with players and coaches. Mostly anyone can have a splash in the pan, catch you by surprise type season. He seems to understand what it takes to make Gurley and Goff tick so that's potentially scary for the NFC. They've got some work to prove it to the league though. The defense, as posters are alluding to, is paper dominate. I need to see it on the field. There were rumors about Suh being interested in the Eagles and that got my underwear tight. So I loved the signing, especially not wagering any of  the future for him. The LBs concern me. They need a rush LB that can prove to be consistent or that potentially dominate DL will be mostly wasted. Curious to see them prove the hype. 

5 hours ago, BAConrad said:

Dude...  @jrry32 ....

You seriously gonna tell me im wrong about your 3-5 WRs by telling me how awesome someone is on special teams?

Come on dude.  Take off the glasses. Your WRs outside of Woods and Kupp are hot garbage. Im not saying someone cant come out of nowhere and play well, but I see no signs or indicators that Pharoah Cooper is all of a sudden anything more than a special teams ace.

Im talking about guys who can catch the football on offense. I just think that Woods and Kupp are the best two WRs on that team is being completely ignored by some of these homers talking about how the Rams are by far the most complete roster in football. 

I never brought the Eagles into this recent argument about your teams depth so i dont know why you feel it necessary to pretend like Im sitting here crapping on the Rams while glorifying my team. Because Im not. 

But since you brought it up....The Rams DL is NOT at all deeper than Phillys. That is just stupid. We have literally 5-7 guys who are ESTABLISHED players that rotate in and out. Its so deep that Fletcher Cox doesnt need to play even close to as many snaps as almost any other elite DT. 

As far as your 3 man front (hard to compare though because of the different schemes) goes, the Rams right now look like they have the best 3 man starting line in the league. Absolutely. But youre way overrating your depth if you think your backups are on the level of ours. All you do is say "Well player A is going to improve because i say so and we will just find someone in the draft to fill this spot". 

Look, I dont think any team is 100% perfect and without holes. I think that because of these splashy big name additions, the Rams are getting overrated and people are ignoring the areas of the team that they need to fix. Thats all. as far as I see it, this Rams team absolutely can do what we did last year by finding the right guys in draft and in FA post draft to fill out their team and make that SB run. The pieces are in place.

But until they do, Im gonna stick with my stance that they dont deserve to be mentioned as being better than either Philly or Minny.

Your opinions on our depth players are hot garbage. I'm not going to waste more time arguing with a guy who is pretending to be an expert on players he's never truly watched play. 

It is quite clear that you know nothing about Cooper, Thomas, Reynolds, Easley, Fox, Westbrooks, and Smart, so don't try to tell me what they are or aren't. You aren't a Rams fan. You aren't in a position to judge the guys on our team who don't play many snaps.

If you want to attack about our depth to make yourself feel better, at least wait to do so until after the Draft.

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

Very interested in the Rams this year. McVay is on tape now. It's going to be interesting to see how well he counters to the league's initial counter. That's how successes are quantified with players and coaches. Mostly anyone can have a splash in the pan, catch you by surprise type season. He seems to understand what it takes to make Gurley and Goff tick so that's potentially scary for the NFC. They've got some work to prove it to the league though. The defense, as posters are alluding to, is paper dominate. I need to see it on the field. There were rumors about Suh being interested in the Eagles and that got my underwear tight. So I loved the signing, especially not wagering any of  the future for him. The LBs concern me. They need a rush LB that can prove to be consistent or that potentially dominate DL will be mostly wasted. Curious to see them prove the hype. 

McVay's passing attack has been on tape for years. 

@Jroc04 I agree with @jrry32 McVay offense was the same in 2014, 2015, 2016 when he was the OC of the Redskins and 2017 as the HC of the Rams. The Redskins struggled in 2014 during his first year of the offensive scheme but 2015 and 2016 the Redskins offense was highly successful then when he became the Rams head coach in 2017 the offense was highly successful. If anything you would think his scheme would struggle in 2017 because the Rams played the NFCE which is familiar with him. The Rams offense still was successful not only against the NFCE (outside of the Redskins game where McVay admitted he wasn’t agressive enough and put the offense in bad situations), but in general the Rams offense was successful. So having tape on McVay isn’t true just because his offense has proven to work 3yrs now. He is just an offensive genius and not a flash in the pan. He keeps adding things to his offense on the fly that he admits he takes from other teams weekly. So I buy teams have tape on him just as much as I buy teams have tape on Sean Payton and his offense is still very darn good. Again McVay is the best or one of the best offensive minds in the NFL and there is no way around it.

17 hours ago, El ramster said:

I’m the most chill dude here. Don’t think I thumped my chest once last season. I did however talk smack on the eagles! But I was rooting for them against MN and that’s on record I hate MN. 

You don't have the authority to hate one of the most beautiful places on earth

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

McVay's passing attack has been on tape for years. 

Not specifically. Jay Gruden's offense has been on tape. They are both heavily rooted in the West Coast scheme so there's obviously not too many surprises there. I know McVay was calling plays but to think an offensive guy like Gruden would just hand everything over is not realistic. And it's not like McVay gets his own team and then runs all of Jay's plays or old Redskins' plays. There's a ton of new wrinkles added making it his own. A lot I'm sure McVay has been waiting to unfold. Last year was the first year of McVay's offense. Clearly. Now teams have actual tape on HIS play calling in HIS offense with HIS players. There's no denying his offensive prowess. He's probably the best young offensive mind going, but one good year does not an offensive genius make. Jay had a pretty good idea of how and what Sean likes to do, being privy to him being his OC for a few years and he beat him at home. Held him to 20 in LA. And I, personally, have some questions on why he goes away from Gurley. Correct me if I'm wrong but McVay has said on a couple occasions he's got to stick with him more often. Clearly, there's room to improve and it wouldn't surprise me if Goff and co. took a step up this year. But, as I've been saying, I need to see it first. Football is week to week, year to year. McVay hasn't encased himself as an offensive guru yet. Hes got some hurdles still. And one of them is being a consistent scoring offense, year to year. He hasn't proven that yet. 

4 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Not specifically. Jay Gruden's offense has been on tape. They are both heavily rooted in the West Coast scheme so there's obviously not too many surprises there. I know McVay was calling plays but to think an offensive guy like Gruden would just hand everything over is not realistic. And it's not like McVay gets his own team and then runs all of Jay's plays or old Redskins' plays. There's a ton of new wrinkles added making it his own. A lot I'm sure McVay has been waiting to unfold. Last year was the first year of McVay's offense. Clearly. Now teams have actual tape on HIS play calling in HIS offense with HIS players. There's no denying his offensive prowess. He's probably the best young offensive mind going, but one good year does not an offensive genius make. Jay had a pretty good idea of how and what Sean likes to do, being privy to him being his OC for a few years and he beat him at home. Held him to 20 in LA. And I, personally, have some questions on why he goes away from Gurley. Correct me if I'm wrong but McVay has said on a couple occasions he's got to stick with him more often. Clearly, there's room to improve and it wouldn't surprise me if Goff and co. took a step up this year. But, as I've been saying, I need to see it first. Football is week to week, year to year. McVay hasn't encased himself as an offensive guru yet. Hes got some hurdles still. And one of them is being a consistent scoring offense, year to year. He hasn't proven that yet. 

It’s not a coincidence while the Rams offense ascended way up with McVay last season, the Redskins offense descended way down. There was a reason why so many people in Washington hated to lose McVay. The guy is an offensive genius. I don’t know what more I can say. 

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Your opinions on our depth players are hot garbage. I'm not going to waste more time arguing with a guy who is pretending to be an expert on players he's never truly watched play. 

It is quite clear that you know nothing about Cooper, Thomas, Reynolds, Easley, Fox, Westbrooks, and Smart, so don't try to tell me what they are or aren't. You aren't a Rams fan. You aren't in a position to judge the guys on our team who don't play many snaps.

If you want to attack about our depth to make yourself feel better, at least wait to do so until after the Draft.

This. How hard would it be for the Rams to add a complimentary receiver, a weakside LB, and some kind of talent at edge rusher.

For example:

1. Harold Landry

3. Shaquem Griffin

4.Dante Pettis/Michael Gallup

Maybe it's my LA ties making me defend the Rams a bit here, but I don't know why some people are trying to stifle this hype train. The Rams added 3 potentially game changing players to their defense and had the #1 offense in the NFL last year. I'd be obnoxious and in everyone's ear if they were my team.

Archived