Kozora 2018 Steelers Mock Draft – Version 2.0

MDSteeler1971

Finally a mock by an "expert" I can live with: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/kozora-2018-steelers-mock-draft-version-2-0/

Round One (28th Overall): Rashaan Evans/ILB Alabama – 6’1/7 232

Analysis: Going back to a more traditional pick for the first round. The board is pretty wide open in the first round for the Steelers after adding an inside linebacker and safety in free agency. But I’d argue Morgan Burnett is a bigger upgrade than Jon Bostic, their contracts reflect that, and push comes to shove, I think they’ll have Evans rated as a higher player than say, Jessie Bates.

Although Kevin Colbert has never taken a player from Alabama, they sent the house to his Pro Day, just as they did for T.J. Watt last season, including Colbert, Mike Tomlin, Keith Butler, and Jerry Olsavsky. Evans could start over Bostic day one and even if he doesn’t, maybe Evans carves out some sort of sub-package role.

Others Considered: FS Jessie Bates, OLB Lorenzo Carter, OLB Sam Hubbard

Round Two (60th Overall): James Washington/WR Oklahoma State – 5’11 213

Analysis: It might seem like a surprise given the current construction of the roster but WR was a semi-surprise to the casual fan last year. The Steelers have shown quite a bit of interest in him, including a Pro Day dinner, and though he doesn’t time with blazing speed, he is a downfield threat with an ultra-productive career.

Martavis Bryant is going to be gone after this season so the Steelers get ahead of the curve and find his replacement a season early. While Washington didn’t have much experience in college, he could be in the mix as the team’s kick returner given his size. JuJu Smith-Schuster didn’t do much at USC and wound up being their guy.

Others Considered: ILB Jerome Baker, ILB/OLB Uchenna Nwosu, OLB Ogbonnia Okornkwo

Round Three (92nd Overall): Terrell Edmunds/FS Virginia Tech – 6’0/4 217

Analysis: Now the Steelers get their safety. Termaine Edmunds is the name most people know but Terrell is talented too and only 21 years old (he once skipped a grade in school). Plus athlete who ran a 4.47 at the Combine. Great frame, picked off six passes the last two seasons, with NFL bloodlines. He would come in for dime packages.

Others Considered: ILB Genard Avery, WR Dante Pettis, RB Rashaad Penny

Round Five (146th Overall): Jeff Holland/OLB Auburn – 6’1/3 249

Analysis: Stealing Dave’s mini-crush with Holland. Colbert could take a pass rusher higher, even in the first round, it just didn’t “fit” right in this draft. Holland took over for Carl Lawson last season and responded with 12.5 TFL and 9.5 sacks. Like his frame, length, and SEC production.

Others Considered: WR J’Mon Moore, WR Allen Lazard, TE Durham Smythe

Round Five (165th Overall) Josh Adams/RB Notre Dame – 6’1/5 213

Analysis: Adams could go higher than this but injury concerns drop him. Steelers always like their true running backs to be hefty and Adams fits the bill. When healthy and given the chance, he had an incredibly productive career, averaging 6.7 yards in his career over 480 carries, a fairly large sample size for off-the-charts numbers. That’s in the top 45 in college football history.

He’s got a great story of work ethic, overcoming injury (notably a badly torn ACL that some doctors thought would never let him run again) and his dedication to the film and weight room. It’s a read but this feature article on him explains his backstory well. He will compete for the #3 RB spot and I think he can win it.

Others Considered: ILB Skai Moore, ILB Oren Burks, TE Dalton Schultz

Round Seven (220th Overall): Joshua Frazier/NT Alabama – 6’2/7 321

Analysis: Had Frazier in my first mock but bumping him to the first seventh round pick. I think he can end up as high as the fifth, taking him earlier to ensure they get him, given their long wait until here in the 7th. Classic one-tech plugger who should have no problem beating out Daniel McCullers for the #6 defensive line job. Steelers dined with him at their Pro Day and Karl Dunbar coached him the last two seasons.

Others Considered: WR Quadree Henderson, TE Will Dissly, RB Jarvion Franklin

Round Seven (246th Overall): David Bright/OT Stanford – 6’5/1 307

Analysis: Name I brought up in my mock offseason and I’m sticking with him here. High pedigree, blocked for one of the best rushing attacks in the country, and Stanford had him start at every position except for center throughout his career. Matt Feiler on steroids and helps ease the loss of Chris Hubbard. Get to work, Mike Munchak.

Others Considered: S Jaleel Wadood, CB Grant Haley, CB Trey Johnson

50 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Dont like the Washington pick at all. 

Not a big fan of the Adams pick.

Like the Evans pick and ok with Edmonds. Frazier seems like a possibility 

Yeah I'm not a fan of the RB pick but I can see them picking a WR in the 2nd. Just from their past picks...

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Dont like the Washington pick at all. 

Not a big fan of the Adams pick.

Like the Evans pick and ok with Edmonds. Frazier seems like a possibility 

I am not opposed to a wr on day 2 depending on how the draft  goes but I agree on the Washington pick. I really want to like the kid, but the more I watch, the more I dig, I just come away less and less Impressed. I think there will be some very good value on wr on day 2.

1 hour ago, MDSteeler1971 said:

Yeah I'm not a fan of the RB pick but I can see them picking a WR in the 2nd. Just from their past picks...

I have no problem with a WR pick in pretty much any round except the first because the value isn't there unless Ridley falls. Even then his traits are AB like so if we were going that high Id prefer a more true X.

I think there are a lot of interesting WR options throughout and there is no reason to push it. In a tie, another position would win out in this draft for me. DJ Moore & Christian Kirk are the only guys  I can think of that I really like in the 2nd. I think Kirk is a New England type target. I do think a run on WR should occur in the 3rd and thats when Id prefer we take a stab at it if the opportunity is there. 

At the moment I have Washington as my 13th best receiver and I can see others above him when I evaluate more on them. My grade is not a starting grade, more like 3rd or 4th receiver. We'll see if Im wrong. He has more than his share of drops for a "goto" guy , he tends to also let the ball come into him on many of those deep balls, kind of like Martavis. He runs routes decently but not overwhelmingly impressive, its the Big 12, everybodys open. He has big hands for his smaller size and they seem to be strong when needed but some of his habits seem to be lackadaisical or not aggressive enough which I suppose contributes to the drops. His body frame looks like a running back which is hard to shake in imagining/projecting him as a receiver. He's not exactly fast or very quick for that matter, reflected by his 4.54 at the combine and his 7.11 3 cone for a smaller receiver. Just not a favorite for me. I think they let go of as good and/or better receivers. 

32 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I'm not a fan either but it is a very Steeler-like pick.  Tomlin had dinner with him on the Oklahoma pro day

Well, I dont disagree with that, but it doesnt change the fact that I hate it, and would be very vocal about how much I hate it if we draft him.

There have been picks I hated in the past that I was wrong about and some Ive been right about.....but Im really hoping our front office isnt that dumb.

I fully expect to pick an offensive player in the first 3 rounds, but Id prefer it be a TE, if anything....or hell, Id take a QB early over a RB or WR unless the value is absolutely insane.

If we take a WR or RB in the first two rounds, I will come down on this forum like the hammer of Thor. The thunder of my fury will echo through these threads like the gust of a thousand winds! 

6 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I do not think a TE will be drafted.  They have not released McDonald so they are now carrying 3 TEs.  Perhaps one late or if one of the top ones fell to them in the 3rd.

I agree, but McDonald has never proven to be consistently reliable and James is a free agent next year.  Neither are much better than average.  Grimble is nothing more than a 3rd string TE.

And for the record, I dont want to draft a TE.   If its up to me, the first 3 picks would absolutely be defense unless there was crazy value somewhere on offense.

If there is one position I trust this front office in right now it would be WR. They have a heat check green light right now, so if there is someone they like that high and they love the value I wont burn down the city because I personally am hoping we dont take that position that high. 

To Recap: I do not want a WR that early, but name another position you trust this teams evaluation of talent more in right now.

Archived