1.2 - NY Giants - Sam Darnold, QB, USC

1.3 - Indianapolis Colts - Bradley Chubb, EDGE, N.C. State

1.4 - Cleveland Browns - Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

1.5 - Denver Broncos - Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

1.6 - New York Jets - Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

1.7 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama

1.8 - Chicago Bears - Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech

1.9 - San Francisco 49ers - ?

I went with Denzel Ward. Ward has all the makings of an elite corner in the nfl. Yes, they signed Sherman but he’s coming off a mid to late season Achilles tear. There is no guarantee Sherman returns to his form pre injury. I think it’d be a mistake for the 49ers to pass on Ward.

That being said the 49ers could use any of these players - but Josh Allen - so I could see them taking any of them. I could see them doing what Mknight suggested and taking Derwin James as well.

I went with Davenport to pair with Solomon Thomas. They need more pressure on the QB and I think they will value the edge rusher this high in the draft over the top avalible in the box Saftey when they have a decent option there. Especially if Reid comes back which I believe in the end that’s what happens

Their LB corps are not substantial enough to handle the rigors of the NFC West. They also do not have a S on the roster as they are not interested in resigning Eric Reid, who showed a ton of promise. Its likely they are completely moving on. 

54 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Their LB corps are not substantial enough to handle the rigors of the NFC West. They also do not have a S on the roster as they are not interested in resigning Eric Reid, who showed a ton of promise. Its likely they are completely moving on. 

The 49ers did sign Malcolm Smith to a 5y/$26.5M contract at the beginning of free agency, so I think they assume that one OLB is taken care of, and they have Eli Harold at the other. The real question is whether they view the Reuben Foster charges as damaging enough to warrant taking another inside linebacker at #9 (they've switched to a 4-3 in the last couple of years). While the charges look bad, I don't think they go for Roquan Smith and have a 1st round pick possibly getting limited time going forward.

Especially when they have next to nothing opposite Solomon Thomas. They did sign Jeremiah Attaochu but he's barely played the past couple of years; he could make for a decent bridge guy, which is why I went with Davenport.

They also have Arik Armstead and DeForest Buckner who are no slouches. Solomon Thomas is fine, but therer are likely other areas they could go instead of an edge rusher. To me S is the biggest concern with not signing Eric Reid back. 

41 minutes ago, mike23md said:

They also have Arik Armstead and DeForest Buckner who are no slouches. Solomon Thomas is fine, but therer are likely other areas they could go instead of an edge rusher. To me S is the biggest concern with not signing Eric Reid back. 

Their GM is also a HOFer Safety who probably values the position.  

2 hours ago, mike23md said:

Armstead has also only played in 30 games in three years (starting on 11). Counting on him long term is somewhat risky.

Having Buckner play at DT, Thomas at DE and Davenport is a pretty strong, young, and cheap defensive line.

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Their GM is also a HOFer Safety who probably values the position.  

And who was playing college ball 40 minutes away when arguably the greatest safety of all time was roaming the secondary for the 49ers. 

Hard to imagine he wouldn’t be looking/wanting to restore that kind of athleticism and intimidation to the back end of that defense.

11 hours ago, mike23md said:

The 49ers have FS Jimmie Ward and SS Jaquiski Tartt. Yes, Derwin James would be a huge upgrade over Tartt but, they do have safeties on their roster.

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The 49ers have FS Jimmie Ward and SS Jaquiski Tartt. Yes, Derwin James would be a huge upgrade over Tartt but, they do have safeties on their roster.

Ward will be moving to CB. I know these things. They do, however, also have this 1st yr dude named Adrian Colbert who flashed at times. 

Still, if they think James is BPA and stay put.. there's no reason they wouldn't pull the trigger.

Archived