"Alex Lewis to LG, James Hurst to RT" - Harbaugh

AFlaccoSeagulls

17 minutes ago, paraven said:

Yea im confident in Hursts ability to be serviceable at RT. I dont think O line will be an issue at all this season.

Agreed. Can it be upgraded? Sure. And to be honest my biggest concern is with the center position and backup LT, over RT. Which also makes sense for Lewis to be our LG.

I trust Lewis to kick out to LT more than Hurst. And it’s easier to transition from LG to LT than RT to LT when given no practice time because of the similarity in drop steps.

With the durability concerns of Stanley, Lewis might be our new swing tackle, if he equally can stay healthy.

22 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

James Hurst was the much more decorated player coming out of college at the OT position.

Lewis was a college LT that earned honorable mention in his junior year and second team his senior year.

Hurst was a 2nd team and 1st team player respectively, while being a year younger at that point. He was also considered a fringe 1st round pick before he broke his leg his final collegiate game forcing him to go undrafted.

He hasn’t had the same level of athleticism since the injury, but he’s steadily been working his way back to that point.

Lewis started had collegiate experience at guard and has been at guard for the past couple seasons, having him switch now would be less productive then having Hurst kick back out to OT. Granted he’s only sparingly played RT, he still has more OT experience (recent and collegiate) at the position than Lewis. 

I mean that's great and all and I'm sure every NFL player was great in college, but again, we've seen Hurst at Tackle and it's a gong show. If we view Alex Lewis as a long-term Guard vs. a long-term Tackle, that's fine, but then why give that contract to Hurst with the expectation that we're going OT in the early rounds or another stop-gap cap casualty when he just demonstrated that he's a serviceable guard AND we know he's not serviceable as a Tackle? If anyone still believes this guy can turn it around as an OT, no amount of game tape showcasing just how bad Hurst is will change that belief at this point.

1 hour ago, Darth Pees said:

I mean that's great and all and I'm sure every NFL player was great in college, but again, we've seen Hurst at Tackle and it's a gong show. If we view Alex Lewis as a long-term Guard vs. a long-term Tackle, that's fine, but then why give that contract to Hurst with the expectation that we're going OT in the early rounds or another stop-gap cap casualty when he just demonstrated that he's a serviceable guard AND we know he's not serviceable as a Tackle? If anyone still believes this guy can turn it around as an OT, no amount of game tape showcasing just how bad Hurst is will change that belief at this point.

Show me the game tape of him at RIGHT tackle looking terrible. Heck even some  statistics of the sort. I’ll wait.

And why give him a contract? Because at worst he’s a very good backup and at best, he’s a quality starter at LG. He’s mostly an unknown quantity at RT. Which is why he gets a shot there. If he’s terrible, he moves. If he’s serviceable or better, he stays and we got him for a solid veteran deal.

Hes either a slightly overpaid backup or an underpaid starter. We’ve had durability concerns all along our OL and just like Brandon Carr was signed to be a durable option for continuity, the same can be said with Hurst. He started every college game he played including his freshman season and then hasn’t missed a game in his NFL career to this point. Those are all things worthy of a deal.

15 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Show me the game tape of him at RIGHT tackle looking terrible. Heck even some  statistics of the sort. I’ll wait.

"James Hurst struggled at LT but that has nothing to do with playing RT" is probably not a hill you want to die on, db.

And why give him a contract? Because at worst he’s a very good backup and at best, he’s a quality starter at LG. He’s mostly an unknown quantity at RT. Which is why he gets a shot there. If he’s terrible, he moves. If he’s serviceable or better, he stays and we got him for a solid veteran deal.

Hes either a slightly overpaid backup or an underpaid starter. We’ve had durability concerns all along our OL and just like Brandon Carr was signed to be a durable option for continuity, the same can be said with Hurst. He started every college game he played including his freshman season and then hasn’t missed a game in his NFL career to this point. Those are all things worthy of a deal.

We're a cash-strapped organization. Handing out bad contracts to guys who we view as backups is laughable at this point - it doesn't make any sense.

It doesn't surprise me.

I'm more curious why Lewis to RT is seemingly never seriously considered by the coaching staff.  Have they seen something in practice, or has Lewis told them himself, that he can't mirror his technique to play on the right side?

1 hour ago, Darth Pees said:

We're a cash-strapped organization. Handing out bad contracts to guys who we view as backups is laughable at this point - it doesn't make any sense.

I’ll die on that hill if necessary. I’ve played both LT and RT at points in the past. Dropping back from LT was much more fluid to me than RT. Granted that was a long time ago and I was a much better defensive player, but at the NFL level where things are much more difficult, I’d rather give Hurst the benefit of proving his worth at the spot. In fact, I’m down with Lewis manning that spot as well, but of the two players, I’d rather give Hurst the first shot. Especially with us having just signed him long term to a deal. If he succeeds that’s a really excellent deal for a successful RT in the NFL.

given the stubborness the coaching staff is trying to force guys in positions they don't seem confident at or just don't fit i would not be so sure this will be a success story but to each his own! i'm with DP, you signed the guy to a decent contract he earned as G so play him at G.

Archived