NFL Changes Catch Rule

Soko

Here is the simple version of new rule imho.  Possession plus 2 feet down equals catch unless something happens and the ball comes loose in which case it isn't  a catch fumble it's incomplete.

I  don't think obi was a catch.  I  think he only got 85% of his third move done.  (the reach and turn and third foot down.)  this has to be as close of an example of a catch / no catch there is for third move.

if obi was outside the end zone and reached across the goal line  before the ball was knocked out then I think it was a TD.  Anywhere else no catch or fumbles become so prevalent that BB will adjust his d so players are in better position to recover fumbles and lead  the league in turnover margin by +106 and FF will have a thread more a week about how the patriots cheat.

11 hours ago, Piquel said:

Here is the simple version of new rule imho.  Possession plus 2 feet down equals catch unless something happens and the ball comes loose in which case it isn't  a catch fumble it's incomplete.

I  don't think obi was a catch.  I  think he only got 85% of his third move done.  (the reach and turn and third foot down.)  this has to be as close of an example of a catch / no catch there is for third move.

if obi was outside the end zone and reached across the goal line  before the ball was knocked out then I think it was a TD.  Anywhere else no catch or fumbles become so prevalent that BB will adjust his d so players are in better position to recover fumbles and lead  the league in turnover margin by +106 and FF will have a thread more a week about how the patriots cheat.

That’s a terrible rule. Completely screws the defense. So you get credit for doing the bare minimum, but get bailed out if something happens immediately after? 

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

What im saying is the ball was never 'stabilized'.

Too many people don’t grasp the concept between a receiver and a ball carrier and think a receiver should get the same plane breaking benefit that ball carriers get

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

Too many people don’t grasp the concept between a receiver and a ball carrier and think a receiver should get the same plane breaking benefit that ball carriers get

in some ways I agree with that but in others I don't. The way in which I agree with that is when the receiver establishes control as soon as the ball crosses the plane it should be a touchdown nothing else should matter. However if they have not established control and the ball comes loose I feel that is not a completion. When I'm talking about establishing control I mean when you catch the ball moving in your hand or is there a moment of stability where you establish to feet down on the ground where you can reasonably argue that he would definitely control the ball if the ball is constantly moving around in your hand and you are pretty much grasping for possession and then lose control of the ball completely and it falls to the ground to me that's not a completion

What I just described is pretty easy to diagnose as well because I'm not talking about coming to the ground and contacting the ground I'm knocking while you are standing up running catching the football have you possessed the Vault establish actual physical control over the ball in your hands or were you grasping at straws so to speak the entire time before it finally fell to the ground?

25 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

in some ways I agree with that but in others I don't. The way in which I agree with that is when the receiver establishes control as soon as the ball crosses the plane it should be a touchdown nothing else should matter. However if they have not established control and the ball comes loose I feel that is not a completion. When I'm talking about establishing control I mean when you catch the ball moving in your hand or is there a moment of stability where you establish to feet down on the ground where you can reasonably argue that he would definitely control the ball if the ball is constantly moving around in your hand and you are pretty much grasping for possession and then lose control of the ball completely and it falls to the ground to me that's not a completion

To me it’s like this, if you are in the end zone and the ball would be ruled incomplete anywhere in the field of play if it fans out, it’s not a touchdown. The second it would be ruled a fumble is the second a touchdown should be called. 

3 hours ago, lancerman said:

To me it’s like this, if you are in the end zone and the ball would be ruled incomplete anywhere in the field of play if it fans out, it’s not a touchdown. The second it would be ruled a fumble is the second a touchdown should be called. 

I can completely agree with that.

Archived