Redskins to Meet with Richmond City Council to Determine Future of Training Camp

MKnight82

http://www.richmond.com/redskins-xtra/redskins-president-bruce-allen-on-alex-smith-training-camp-a/article_dd5385d4-c1af-50ba-996f-e1e33be31e93.html 

The Redskins are in year six of an eight-year agreement to bring their training camp to Richmond each summer.

The deal has been criticized by Richmond politicians because of a $500,000 annual payout to the team.

Representatives from the city will meet with the Redskins later this year to discuss potential changes to the terms or an extension.

“They’ve scheduled a meeting after the draft,” Allen said. “We’ll talk about some type of amendment or something. They called the meeting.”

[EDITED BY MODERATOR: Please don't copy and paste whole (or significant portions of articles). Three to four paragraphs tops]

http://www.nbc12.com/story/37814201/rva-council-doesnt-want-to-renew-redskins-deal-as-is 

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) -

The city of Richmond says the Redskins need to sweeten the training camp deal, or they can hit the road. Monday night, City Council voted unanimously against renewing the current Redskins deal, but it isn’t up to them.

City Council is on the outside looking in. The Economic Development Authority (EDA) is holding all of the cards - it can negotiate a deal with the Redskins, without council's blessing. It also owns the building. So the EDA is paying the team, but the city isn't getting what it needs to pay off a loan to a building it doesn't even own.

“The reality is that the EDA is a separate authority. It's a separate legal entity. It's a quasi-government agency, and it's done deliberately to keep some aspects of government out of certain projects," Councilman Parker Agelasto said.

NBC12 reached out to the EDA Monday asking for a response to council unanimously opposing renewing this deal - we haven't heard back.

[EDITED BY MODERATOR: Please don't copy and paste whole (or significant portions of articles). Three to four paragraphs tops]

I'll add the comment that my title for the thread is a little misleading, the Redskins will meet with Richmond's City Council, but the Council has no authority to determine the future of the training camp.  Richmond's Economic Development Authority has fully say in what happens with it.  

21 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

In before, “this is Bruce Allen’s fault.”

Its an interesting situation.  Bruce did negotiate a very favorable situation for the Redskins in Richmond, as they are getting paid $500,000 each year to practice there.  However, the comical part of all of it is how the City Council has demanded this meeting because its supposedly hurting their budget or whatever, but they have no authority over the deal at all.

4 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

If the EDA decides to keep our lease would that be a win off the field? 

Its a win for Dan Snyder.  He doesn't have to pay for a Redskins practice facility and continues to get paid just to have the Redskins practice somewhere.  

The one thing I can't find out is where Richmond's Economic Development Authority receives its funding.  Based on a conversation I had with a man that's in the know, they don't receive their funding directly from the City of Richmond tax payers.  So I'm assuming its some form of Federal or State funding.  

Archived