New Rule: 15 yard penalty for initiating contact with helmet.

gopherwrestler

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Well don't get too attached to your players cause if this is enforced like it should be there is gonna be like 500 players ejected next year.

Welp: I'm a Giants' fan myself, but that mess Odell got into was dangerous and out-of-line.

Perhaps the new rule will cut down on such things.

Image result for Odell Beckham spearing with helmet

It's going to be incredibly interesting to see how this is enforced early in the season. If they go by the letter of the law, the penalties could spike up severely until teams adjust. It could also just give them the option to do it when it seems egregious. Always hard to tell until the refs call an actual game.

Just now, bzane said:

Welp: I'm a Giants' fan myself, but that mess Odell got into was dangerous and out-of-line.

Perhaps the new rule will cut down on such things.

Image result for Odell Beckham spearing with helmet

It's meant to cut down on serious head to head blows like that one. Except almost every players outside of the QB does helmet to helmet. Linemen off the snap who attempt to bullrush go head first trying to beat the edge, if it just happens to connect with the OL helmet then that player is ejected. There are an enormous amount of situations where a helmet is lowered to accomplish something and contact is initiated.

Im just saying I think it's going to do more harm then good.

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

It's meant to cut down on serious head to head blows like that one. Except almost every players outside of the QB does helmet to helmet. Linemen off the snap who attempt to bullrush go head first trying to beat the edge, if it just happens to connect with the OL helmet then that player is ejected. There are an enormous amount of situations where a helmet is lowered to accomplish something and contact is initiated.

Im just saying I think it's going to do more harm then good.

It isn't a mandatory ejection. It says they CAN get ejected. Presumably that's just for egregious examples. Let's not blow it out of proportion already.

3 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

It isn't a mandatory ejection. It says they CAN get ejected. Presumably that's just for egregious examples. Let's not blow it out of proportion already.

I think it still becomes a problem that, on almost any given play, the ref can decide to call a personal foul with this new rule - and it’ll be completely up to them on if it’s egregious enough or not. 

Can probably say this about penalties like holding, I guess.

8 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I think it still becomes a problem that, on almost any given play, the ref can decide to call a personal foul with this new rule - and it’ll be completely up to them on if it’s egregious enough or not. 

Can probably say this about penalties like holding, I guess.

Absolutely, I thought the NFL was realizing that we need less subjectivity when it comes to the game but then they do this?

Also, holding is similar in subjectivity but it's been a thing for how long now? It's built into the game and generally understood how much people can get away with. It's also not a 15 yard penalty and doesn't lead to ejections, nor is holding attached to something as sensitive as player safety. I expect this to go very poorly for the NFL tbh.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22935229/nfl-institutes-rule-lowering-head-initiate-contact-helmet

Under the change, a player will be penalized 15 yards and potentially ejected any time he lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent. It will apply to tacklers, ball carriers and even linemen, and it will take the place of a previous rule that limited the penalty to contact with the crown of the helmet.

The NCAA's targeting rule penalizes players only when they hit opponents who are in a defenseless position. It calls for mandatory ejections, but the NFL's competition committee has not yet addressed how ejections would be adjudicated, according to chairman Rich McKay. There is little doubt, however, that the NFL is determined to aggressively address a 2017 season that included 291 concussions, its highest total on record, and a severe spine injury to Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier on a play that would fall under the new rule.

"It just seems that players at every level are getting more comfortable playing with their helmets as a weapon rather than a protective device," McKay said. "Therefore, we need a rule that is broad and puts that in context, and that's what we think this does."

Archived