What would you give up for OBJ?

titans0021

11 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

I dunno, I curious how valuable you are as a player if you have a career season and your team doesn't win. Call if the Chris Johnson conundrum. 

The issue is, you can pretty much find an example of this at every single position with the exception of quarterback. Joe Thomas is one of the greatest offensive linemen in the history of football and never made the playoffs. Arguably Ed Reed's best statistical season came when the Ravens missed the playoffs. Michael Strahan set the sack record in a season in which the Giants finished below .500. 

15 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

I mean how many truly elite WR's have been on championship teams?

These kinda questions can be applied to most positions though... Especially in recent years since the Pats dynasty kinda limited the number of teams who've won games. 

Guys like AB and Jones have recently reached CCGs and/or SBs... Fitz, DThomas, Harrison, Moss, Bruce have all won SBs as elite level WRs.

LT can be argued as the 2nd most important position, definitely on offense... And how many elite LTs have won a SB recently.

DE/pass rusher also can make that claim... And outside Miller, his many are there. How many have Watt, Mack, Donald, Houston won?

At safety you have Thomas. But then there's Berry, Harrison, etc. 

At MLB, how many have Keuchly, Mosley, etc won. 

That doesnt mean none of those players are worth a top draft pick or a top dollar contract.  And in today's NFL, WR is arguably as important as any position outside the top 3 (QB, LT, edge)...

40 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

These kinda questions can be applied to most positions though... Especially in recent years since the Pats dynasty kinda limited the number of teams who've won games. 

Guys like AB and Jones have recently reached CCGs and/or SBs... Fitz, DThomas, Harrison, Moss, Bruce have all won SBs as elite level WRs.

LT can be argued as the 2nd most important position, definitely on offense... And how many elite LTs have won a SB recently.

DE/pass rusher also can make that claim... And outside Miller, his many are there. How many have Watt, Mack, Donald, Houston won?

At safety you have Thomas. But then there's Berry, Harrison, etc. 

At MLB, how many have Keuchly, Mosley, etc won. 

That doesnt mean none of those players are worth a top draft pick or a top dollar contract.  And in today's NFL, WR is arguably as important as any position outside the top 3 (QB, LT, edge)...

Moss never won a Super Bowl neither did Fitz only Jerry rice was an elite WR to win super bowls but those where during the no salary cap era 

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

Moss never won a Super Bowl neither did Fitz only Jerry rice was an elite WR to win super bowls but those where during the no salary cap era 

Forgot Moss didn't get the ring... But he was on an 18-0 team and scored the go ahead TD with a couple minutes left to give the Pats the lead. Fitz had a monster game, did everything he could to help the Cards win... and they had if not for an amazing catch by Pitt to win it. Owens also for very close.

Also, you don't consider Harrison nor Bruce elite? DT also had a stretch of 3-4 years at elite/near elite seasons. The Broncos made the SB twice during that stretch.

... But my point remains, even with the losses... Elite WR have a big impact on today's NFL. It is arguably as important as any position outside the top 3 positions... 

40 minutes ago, titanrick said:

I think I saw an article on B/R that threw out a potential package of our 1st this year, 3rd next year and Taywan Taylor.  I'd do that in a heartbeat.  

& pay him 20 mill then have to pay Marcus possibly 30 & Lewan no thankyou. 

2 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

& pay him 20 mill then have to pay Marcus possibly 30 & Lewan no thankyou. 

But were you willing to give Suh that money?  I don’t know that the cap is an issue or we wouldn’t have entertained the idea of signing Suh. Had he chosen us, I doubt JRob was ready to let Lewan or Marcus go. I think we have room to extend Lewan and Marcus and fit one more star contract on the payroll. Guys with HOF starts to their career don’t routinely become available in their mid 20s. I think we’d be foolish not to have interest. OBJ, Davis and Delanie with and improved Mariota?  That’s scary potential. 

I wouldn't give up much for him. I think he is a great player but is A) not worth the headache and B) as a team, we will be better off investing the giant contract he would be due into other positions. I heard someone say the other day that no team has ever been a WR from being a Super Bowl contender. It's just not a position that warrants the big contract he will want or the headache he will bring.

20 minutes ago, titanrick said:

But were you willing to give Suh that money?  I don’t know that the cap is an issue or we wouldn’t have entertained the idea of signing Suh. Had he chosen us, I doubt JRob was ready to let Lewan or Marcus go. I think we have room to extend Lewan and Marcus and fit one more star contract on the payroll. Guys with HOF starts to their career don’t routinely become available in their mid 20s. I think we’d be foolish not to have interest. OBJ, Davis and Delanie with and improved Mariota?  That’s scary potential. 

I was willing to give Suh 12-15 million annually 30 mill G. As a free agent not trade 2 1st round picks for a WR that wants 20 plus mill a yr.. use your head & defense wins championship. The past 10 superbowls name me an elite WR that got a ring ?. Okay now name me an elite defensive player that won a ring. No thankyou now if he was FA I’ll givs OBJ 15-17 mill anually 

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

As a free agent not trade 2 1st round picks for a WR that wants 20 plus mill a yr

I'd be out of the running now as well.  I'd gladly give up this year's (which we know is 25th) but not next year's as well.  Those trades come back to haunt way too often.

I don't know that he'll get $20M.  I think AB is tops right now at $17M.  OBJ will get more but I doubt it's 18% more.

But your main point in the original post was about the money.  I was just saying I think we have room for one more large contract without having to let Lewan or Marcus go.

Yeah, the report of two firsts puts it beyond me. Even with my valuing of the WR position, I can't justify spending three straight first round picks on the position. I could be talked into dealing 25 without much hesitation. Anything past that gets a lot tougher to justify.

Archived