NFL considering ramifications of legalized gambling?

Woz

"represents not only a possible added revenue stream but also another international fan base"

*whistles*

That feels like Pandora's box there. Soccer/football/futbol has had some problems with match fixing/ref bribing by large gambling consortiums (granted, in lower visibility leagues).

Be careful what you wish for ...

Oh, yahhh, you betcha!

I mean, really, what could possibly go wrong? Just ask Art Schlichter! Say- maybe if gambling on football goes legal, he can apply for early release!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Schlichter

Arthur Ernest Schlichter (/ˈʃlstər/, born April 25, 1960) is a former college and professional American football quarterback, known for his four-decade compulsive gambling habit and the legal problems that arose from it. He is currently serving 10 years in federal prison for stealing thousands of dollars in order to fuel his gambling habit.

Extent of addiction[edit]

Over the years, Schlichter has, by his own count, committed more than 20 felonies.[15] He gambled away much of his NFL, Arena League and radio salaries. Whenever he ran low on money to support his gambling, he stole and conned it from friends and strangers, and frequently passed bad checks. In a 2007 interview for ESPN's Outside the Lines, he estimated that he'd stolen $1.5 million over the years, if not more.

Image result for Art Schlichter

3 minutes ago, Eagles23 said:

I think sports gambling would be great if legalized for the sport. Like Fantasy Football, people will be invested into other games not just their favorite teams. 

[I was going to respond to this with why it would NOT be good but the response requires discussion that I'm pretty sure Webby wouldn't be happy with]

Something to keep in mind as we discuss this.

But focused on your topic, I'm not sure that diluting fans interest in their particular team for other teams is good for the sport or for the respective franchises.

I'm confused by the "new international fan base" bit

What do American gambling laws have to do with international fans?  People who live in countries where gambling is legal can already bet on NFL games, and the SCOTUS effectively legalising sports gambling in the US won't change that. And if they live in a country where it's not legal, it won't change that either

15 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Who says it dilutes?

NFL gambling is legal in Canada. 

I think it easily grows the sport.

Hell yah I look at more time slots with other games, but still watch my team too

It’s legal everywhere outside the US.   It’s inevitable. And frankly it’s what drives the big money.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.  

10 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Grows the sport...

The league is crapping itself after the ratings drop. If that didnt happen this wouldn’t be discussed

It’s a potential revenue stream that’s now becoming (possibly) legal.   Let’s be honest if wearing women’s lingerie would potentially make that kind of $ for the owners having all the players wear Victoria Secret would be up for discussion.  

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

It’s a potential revenue stream that’s now legal.   Let’s be honest if wearing women’s lingerie would make more $ the NFL having all the players wear Victoria Secret would be up for discussion.  

I’m down with it if it means i can gamble lol but i think the timing is convenient 

Don’t care about the NFLs issues. I just want to do it with out dealing with criminals or giving my credit card to some people in the carribean

I see suspicious stuff all the time that no one even gives a second thought too. Like guys who’ve never muffed a kick in their life gifting the other team two scores in one half

If you aren’t located in the US, you’ve been able to bet on the NFL for years, so I don’t quite get the reasoning that it will open up a new international fan base.

They’ll go the same way as soccer and ban anyone involved with the game from betting on any football game played anywhere in the world and come down hard on anyone who does.

I wouldn’t expect matchfixing or spot fixing to be a bigger problem than it is already, particularly if the law prevents the more problematic betting markets for that kind of thing from being offered.

Overall, I don’t think you’ll see a huge difference. You may just end up with players getting caught betting on games and getting suspensions. It happens all the time in soccer, so the NFL will need to be prepared for the inevitable PR fall out when it does happen.

Archived