Jump to content
Woz

NFL considering ramifications of legalized gambling?

Recommended Posts

On 4/1/2018 at 12:23 AM, TomRalph said:

As someone from England who has seen his country's most popular sport become engulfed by betting and online betting, it's absolutely crazy that the NFL isn't desperate to get involved. 

The money to be made is astronomical.

I think the whole concept of 'fake gambling' in fantasy football is strange and the amount of coverage it gets is odd. Imagine a similar aspect in which you can actually win a lot of money...it's a no brainer. 

Going a bit off-topic here but I think the fact that gambling is illegal in a country which prides itself on freedom for citizens when it's legal pretty much everywhere else is strange.

Freedom is a myth. Choice doesn't  mean freedom. Taxation is slavery..credit debt etc.. ...lol just saying 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look up Bert Bell and Leonard Tose.

Bell founded the Philadelphia Eagles during the 1930s. Later NFL Commissioner. Was a skilled card player.

Tose lost his $$ to gambing addiction and his team to his daughter in federal court.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, biletnikoff said:

Freedom is a myth. Choice doesn't  mean freedom. Taxation is slavery..credit debt etc.. ...lol just saying 

Choice DOES mean freedom in many cases.  You can CHOOSE not to get yourself into credit card debt.  You can CHOOSE to live within your means.  You can CHOOSE a profession where you can make enough money to pay your taxes AND still have a life.  IMO, freedom is something that is very real.  What people CHOOSE to do with it is a whole other matter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

Choice DOES mean freedom in many cases.  You can CHOOSE not to get yourself into credit card debt.  You can CHOOSE to live within your means.  You can CHOOSE a profession where you can make enough money to pay your taxes AND still have a life.  IMO, freedom is something that is very real.  What people CHOOSE to do with it is a whole other matter.  

You are a good slave. You are accepting the confined life you had no choice but to accept per govt rule. Just because  you can choose a car or red/blue shirt doesn't mean freedom. You don't' get to chose any profession. You have to compete with other to make a living..that does not qualify as freedom or choice in a pure, honest form. No obe can.luve debt free who is a tax slave. Car,house,rent, taxes,food, you are in debt every day of your life , since you were born. You have to make money purely to give to others to live. Govt forces taxes on you no matter  what you do=debt slave. 5 days on, 2 days off till you die is not freedom of any kind. Lol at working your *** off for 2 weeks a year of vacation and thinking that's' great or fair. It's pure slavery  to govt... don' tell me I'm free but have to co.pete to work or say unemployed. Competition  for survival is not freedom for anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The US Congress can put labels on cigarettes warning about health, but dumb people will smoke.

Lotteries have 18 million to 1 odds but they sell like hotcakes.

The NFL wants legalized gambling? A fool and his $$ are soon parted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Folks, you are crossing into areas where you all know Webby does not want the forum to go. Gambling in NFL? Dicey, but at least within the bounds of topic of football. Choice, personal freedom, and government forces? C'mon now, take it somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Woz said:

Folks, you are crossing into areas where you all know Webby does not want the forum to go. Gambling in NFL? Dicey, but at least within the bounds of topic of football. Choice, personal freedom, and government forces? C'mon now, take it somewhere else.

:) well, it is the off season. Don' be afraid  to expand your brain.  Pro sports really does have everything to do with govt.. Give them their bread and circuses of distraction.

Again, the only reason pro sports even exist is because  bookies wanted another way to make money off gamblers. Whether it's  legal or not by your understanding  of the definition, doesn't  matter. Govt  and the leagues still make billions off it. 

How in the hell else do you think Rooney made his early fortunes? He told his team to lose while betting on them to lose. He was a bookie.....

 

 

 

 

Edited by biletnikoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, biletnikoff said:

:) well, it is the off season. Don' be afraid  to expand your brain.

Has absolutely nothing to do with the offseason or what I do or do not know, but what the rules of the forum are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Woz said:

Has absolutely nothing to do with the offseason or what I do or do not know, but what the rules of the forum are.

Like the rest of my post stated,it all relates. TV sports was embraced by govt to keep you distracted  from important  things. If you are dumb enough to lose your money gambling,they have their hands in that too. What they told you was illegal,  is under the table  money for them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, biletnikoff said:

You are a good slave. You are accepting the confined life you had no choice but to accept per govt rule. Just because  you can choose a car or red/blue shirt doesn't mean freedom. You don't' get to chose any profession. You have to compete with other to make a living..that does not qualify as freedom or choice in a pure, honest form. No obe can.luve debt free who is a tax slave. Car,house,rent, taxes,food, you are in debt every day of your life , since you were born. You have to make money purely to give to others to live. Govt forces taxes on you no matter  what you do=debt slave. 5 days on, 2 days off till you die is not freedom of any kind. Lol at working your *** off for 2 weeks a year of vacation and thinking that's' great or fair. It's pure slavery  to govt... don' tell me I'm free but have to co.pete to work or say unemployed. Competition  for survival is not freedom for anyone.

Unfortunately, we live in a world with unlimited wants and limited resources.  The type of freedom you are describing is not possible, at least until technology advances quite a bit from where it is now.   I was originally speaking more from a standpoint of economics, but I understand that Woz thinks this discussion is getting a little close to the arena of politics, so I'll put an end to it from my end.

On another note, how about those Vikings?  :D

Edited by Uncle Buck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it's official - state-sanctioned sports betting is no longer illegal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Broncofan said:

Well it's official - state-sanctioned sports betting is no longer illegal.

 

Vegas is about to become a lot more affordable to visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Vegas is about to become a lot more affordable to visit.

Also going to remove the stigma of having a NFL football team there.   Interesting ripple effect.   People were spending $ but now it goes to states instead of Vegas or non-US sites.   DFS probably is the big winner, given several states outlawed it, but will now likely permit its use throughout the land.

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/03/2018 at 12:28 AM, Broncofan said:

   Let’s be honest if wearing women’s lingerie would potentially make that kind of $ for the owners having all the players wear Victoria Secret would be up for discussion.  

André Smith could certainly fill out a bra. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×