NFL considering ramifications of legalized gambling?

Woz

57 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Also going to remove the stigma of having a NFL football team there.

Well, the Raiders can thank the NHL for crossing that Rubicon for them.

58 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

People were spending $ but now it goes to states instead of Vegas or non-US sites.

Flip side of this was that prior to the decision, the NFL (and NHL) could focus on auditing (in descending priority order):

1. Las Vegas team
  2. Divisional rivals of Las Vegas team
  3. Teams in same conference as Las Vegas team
  4. Teams in other conference

Now, it's going to be a free-for-all. Yes, the leagues will get more money, but this might turn out to be a Pandora's box. We'll see.

9 minutes ago, Woz said:

Well, the Raiders can thank the NHL for crossing that Rubicon for them.

Flip side of this was that prior to the decision, the NFL (and NHL) could focus on auditing (in descending priority order):

1. Las Vegas team
  2. Divisional rivals of Las Vegas team
  3. Teams in same conference as Las Vegas team
  4. Teams in other conference

Now, it's going to be a free-for-all. Yes, the leagues will get more money, but this might turn out to be a Pandora's box. We'll see.

The $ on gambling was just flowing out-of-country for games / prop bets etc.   it’s just changing where it’s going for the most part.   For game/prop betting I suspect the amounts aren’t much on what’s spent.  Casual gambling goes up but that doesn’t create a huge overall impact.  Who gets the $ obviously changes.  

The one area where betting money spent will likely increase is DFS since sone states banned the big sites like DK and FD from operating there.   

FWIW I don’t think the teams see more $ directly.   I doubt those “integrity fee” plays being presented will fly.   But this will increase viewership.  And that keeps the big $ contracts coming.  

Semi-random aside: does this open the door for online poker to return to the US? I don't play, but if Nevada (or a company based therein) wanted to run an online poker game for cash, does this ruling perhaps create a precedent for overturning the UIGEA?

Just now, Broncofan said:

FWIW I don’t think the teams see more $ directly.   I doubt those “integrity fee” plays being presented will fly.   But this will increase viewership.  And that keeps the big $ contracts coming.  

The clock has already started ticking on when teams sign up with organizations for "free $100 of betting when you sign up today! Use promo code '<team name>FAN' to get yours!" offers.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Semi-random aside: does this open the door for online poker to return to the US? I don't play, but if Nevada (or a company based therein) wanted to run an online poker game for cash, does this ruling perhaps create a precedent for overturning the UIGEA?

It should.   Just depends how motivated and organized the online companies will be.  Black Friday had such a massive impact that you’d think they are licking their chops here. 

Not a legal guy so I defer to those in the profession but seems like it would fall under the same umbrella.  

12 minutes ago, Woz said:

The clock has already started ticking on when teams sign up with organizations for "free $100 of betting when you sign up today! Use promo code '<team name>FAN' to get yours!" offers.

The thing is that local facilities don’t need to do much to get people to gamble on their local team.    I should have said that teams won’t see much more $ directly though, it’s fair to say they will see some income like that.   The real $ is in those media deals though.  

Vegas found out how much local-team heavy betting gets the hard way with their NHL team.  They are probably the happiest to see them down 2-0 in the Conference Finals.  

5 hours ago, lancerman said:

People should realize this doesn't legalize gambling. It just struck down the federal government's ban from allowing states to legalize gambling.

Which you have to think some states will quickly look to implement ...

The only thing I don't like about this is how it will effect the authenticity of the game. Ya know all that laundry that flies in favor of certain teams? It's gonna be a lot more difficult to brush that off as merely poor calls or coincidence. People are greedy. This could turn dicey if the leagues don't establish tight rules on people gambling that are associated with involved organizations. 

21 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

The only thing I don't like about this is how it will effect the authenticity of the game. Ya know all that laundry that flies in favor of certain teams? It's gonna be a lot more difficult to brush that off as merely poor calls or coincidence. People are greedy. This could turn dicey if the leagues don't establish tight rules on people gambling that are associated with involved organizations. 

People already bet on games. 

10 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Sure. But this is obviously different. 

It is but the point is that for a lot of people this doesn’t mea it’s legal where they live. There will be lots of legislative battles. And the court left and opening for an outright ban

Just now, lancerman said:

And some will not for many years 

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/22516292/gambling-ranking-every-us-state-current-position-legalizing-sports-betting

Beyond Nevada, there's New Jersey and Delaware that are basically there (were just waiting on the Court's decision). After that, it projects Connecticut, Iowa, Mississippi, New York, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia as either having enacted laws to allow sports books or fast tracked legislation. Then there's another 13 states starting legislation (or announcing that they will start legislation).

So, perhaps within five years, nearly half of the states could have legal sports books. The others have laws that would have to be repealed or, in the case of Utah, the state constitution amended.

Archived