NFL considering ramifications of legalized gambling?

Woz

14 hours ago, Buc Ball said:

Overall, I don’t think you’ll see a huge difference. You may just end up with players getting caught betting on games and getting suspensions. It happens all the time in soccer, so the NFL will need to be prepared for the inevitable PR fall out when it does happen.

The one interesting side piece to this is that if the Supreme Court does allow for legalized sports books across the US, the Raiders move to Las Vegas becomes a bit less controversial (I say that without intending pain to those who live in Oakland ... that still sucks).

Lol  people bet on games online all the time now. It's commercially legal, in so many words. 

The nfl promotes  gambling  and profits from it already anyway. Pro leagues were started by bookies and  race horse owners in the first place.

As someone from England who has seen his country's most popular sport become engulfed by betting and online betting, it's absolutely crazy that the NFL isn't desperate to get involved. 

The money to be made is astronomical.

I think the whole concept of 'fake gambling' in fantasy football is strange and the amount of coverage it gets is odd. Imagine a similar aspect in which you can actually win a lot of money...it's a no brainer. 

Going a bit off-topic here but I think the fact that gambling is illegal in a country which prides itself on freedom for citizens when it's legal pretty much everywhere else is strange.

On 4/1/2018 at 3:23 AM, TomRalph said:

As someone from England who has seen his country's most popular sport become engulfed by betting and online betting, it's absolutely crazy that the NFL isn't desperate to get involved. 

The money to be made is astronomical.

I think the whole concept of 'fake gambling' in fantasy football is strange and the amount of coverage it gets is odd. Imagine a similar aspect in which you can actually win a lot of money...it's a no brainer. 

I don't know if you aren't aware, but the main reason there is a major allergy to sports betting in the United States is because there was a MASSIVE scandal way back in the day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sox_Scandal (dramatized as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Men_Out )

That essentially scared the bejeebers out of the sports leagues. It is interesting that the Supreme Court could legalize sports gambling in time for the 2019 season ... or a bit less than a month short 100 years to the day after the Black Sox series.

The money to be made being astronomical is why the owners want in (advertising or even creating their own market (mmm, vig ... tasty tasty)). They know that they could make money hand over fist. Of course, the major problem for the league isn't the gambling aspect (though that will be difficult). No, the biggest problem is the NFLPA and the CBA. Those revenues don't really fit into the salary cap calculations right now. That is a major wildcard entering the next CBA renegotiations (the CBA expires after 2020).

If the Supreme Court declares it to be legal, it will be a free-for-all for a bit. That ... would be less than good. It will eventually settle out, but they will screw this up (I'm mainly thinking data security, but also the general population not knowing where their individual ruin points are).

BTW, "not fake fantasy football gambling" is called "daily fantasy sports."

On 4/1/2018 at 3:23 AM, TomRalph said:

Going a bit off-topic here but I think the fact that gambling is illegal in a country which prides itself on freedom for citizens when it's legal pretty much everywhere else is strange.

Preach, brother.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

That essentially scared the bejeebers out of the sports leagues. It is interesting that the Supreme Court could legalize sports gambling in time for the 2019 season ... or a bit less than a month short 100 years to the day after the Black Sox series.

The context has changed completely. Oversight is better than ever. I'm not seeing the doomsday scenario some NFL people seem to be.

Just now, cddolphin said:

Preach, brother.

Given that particular topic runs afoul of Webby's rules, let's not please.

The context has changed completely. Oversight is better than ever. I'm not seeing the doomsday scenario some NFL people seem to be.

There are going to be problems. If the Supreme Court doesn't overturn the ban, then the NFL will just have focus heavily on the soon-to-be Las Vegas Raiders, with a lesser extent on the other AFC West teams, and then focus on the two divisions that play the Raiders in a given year. In this case, how the owners as a whole deal with the revenue that Mark Davis would suddenly find with in-game prop bets would be a major contentious issue.

If the ban is overturned, then you're going to determine if there is a single, NFL-wide system for betting ... or if each franchise goes its own way. Again, this will be highly contentious for revenue sharing (we can both guess with some degree of likelihood that Jerry Jones isn't going to want to share). Then there are the players and how the monies from gambling will be distributed ... but, remember the players are banned from gambling themselves, so it becomes a bit of a weird situation where their salaries are paid with monies they cannot actually create.

And, as I said earlier, this completely ignores the likelihood that the NFL will screw up the data security piece of this. See Panera Bread for ways large corporations don't understand simple security concepts.

Is it a doomsday scenario? No. But we would be kidding ourselves if we think it will be as simple as "oh, look, here's an app to make a prop bet in the stadium!"

On 27/03/2018 at 10:54 PM, Woz said:

That feels like Pandora's box there. Soccer/football/futbol has had some problems with match fixing/ref bribing by large gambling consortiums (granted, in lower visibility leagues).

Yeah there aren't really issues in the major leagues. Dude's make enough coin not to worry. 

Although what we've learned is it's almost impossible to track. 

34 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Yeah there aren't really issues in the major leagues. Dude's make enough coin not to worry. 

Although what we've learned is it's almost impossible to track. 

How many go broke ? Way too many....and the wise guys are offering a quick way out. All you have to do is throw one game...in a game of inches where turnovers can decide the outcome. Snappers and holders don't make squat and are easy targets for influencing the score

There are any number of boneheaded players making dumbass moves on a daily basis. And with billions at stake, they are ripe for influence

Much of the NFL's hesitation on gambling was to buy them time to get out in front of this and insure they are getting their share of the betting pie. Just like with Draft Kings and fantasy. The NFL wanted to get their hooks into it before they sanctioned it.

But some of the reticence was due to the possibility of tarnishing the Shield. Advertisers pay billions for a squeaky clean game and role model players.

IF the integrity of the league or its stars come into question, that negatively impacts the main gravy train that fuels the entire League.

This definitely ...

Just now, Shanedorf said:

Much of the NFL's hesitation on gambling was to buy them time to get out in front of this and insure they are getting their share of the betting pie. Just like with Draft Kings and fantasy. The NFL wanted to get their hooks into it before they sanctioned it.

but not so much of this ...

Just now, Shanedorf said:

But some of the reticence was due to the possibility of tarnishing the Shield. Advertisers pay billions for a squeaky clean game and role model players.

IF the integrity of the league or its stars come into question, that negatively impacts the main gravy train that fuels the entire League.

Advertisers have made their peace with the fact that the game isn't squeaky clean and that a bunch of the biggest names are not role models.

I agree that if the league's integrity is sullied, then the NFL will be in trig bubble. However, they will almost certainly ignore that "infinitesimally small chance" [Ron Howard narrator voice: it is actually a big risk] for the dollars that they will reap.

13 minutes ago, Woz said:

Advertisers have made their peace with the fact that the game isn't squeaky clean and that a bunch of the biggest names are not role models.

Perhaps. But have a recent example with Deflategate - the integrity of the game was in question and the NFL responded with great verve and millions in legal fees. I'm sure you're a swell guy, but I'm not yet comfortable with you speaking on behalf of all advertisers. B|

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-protests-how-brands-have-responded-2017-11

Linda Yaccarino, the chairman of advertising sales at NBCUniversal: "Marketers have said, 'We will not be part of the NFL if you continue covering" the protests.

In October, Dannon made headlines after cutting ties with Carolina Panthers player Cam Newton, following the quarterback's "sexist" comments.

Each of the advertisers will make their own choices, but with ratings issues already on the forefront....any gambling-related soiling of the integrity will have huge repercussions. Loss of integrity= loss of revenue.

The NFL is battling on the domestic violence front, the CTE/Concussion front, cord cutting and a myriad of other issues. A blow to the integrity of the game via gambling shenanigans isn't something they're looking to adding to the list

https://www.skyword.com/contentstandard/marketing/nfls-brand-crisis-plans-market-differently/

It's ironic that I'm reading this thread as the closing credits are rolling on my tv screen from the movie Scarface - a story of someone whose greed ultimately ended up destroying him and everyone around him.  I hope the NFL owners take a long hard look at what could ultimately happen if they let their lust for more and more money cloud their thinking.  I don't know if gambling is something that could take down the NFL, but they better be sure they know what they are getting themselves into with it.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

any gambling-related soiling of the integrity activities will may have huge repercussions.

Doesn't have to be soiling ... just having gambling itself might turn off advertisers.

Just being associated with an act that's kind of a taboo for some people? 

Yes. Again, it will be an advertiser to advertiser decision, but for some companies, gambling could be a "thanks but we're out" kind of action.

Archived