Su'a Cravens traded to the Broncos

champ11

I like the move.  We had so much trouble covering TE's.  They killed us last year.  I think Cravens addresses that this season.  Great value.  Let's face it, 5th, 6th and 7th rounders are  pretty much special team/practice squad guys.  Once in a blue moon, you find a Malik Jackson (5th Round) or Matt Paradis (6th Round) who end up starting.  Getting proven professionals with NFL experience is a pretty good way to go.  Cravens is just 22 years old!  Hell, we would have probably drafted someone around that age. 

15 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

I'd be interested to see if CJ Anderson + picks is involved in a draft day deal.  Especially if a RB is taken with #5, #40, or #71 to try and get another day 2 pick.  (If no QB I'm firmly on the Barkley train)

I was almost certain CJ was going to be involved in the Cravens trade, considering how thin the Skins are at that position. I mean, they had sign Bibbs last year....ewww

We should be mindful of the risk Cravens brings - he's quit on WAS, and even in USC he had a notable walkout.  But we're also a good team to deal with guys with this kind of problem.    And he's not a 3-down ILB classic player - he's a passing down ILB/S hybrid.       There's a reason he went even as cheaply as he did - a lot of guys would have not even got a 5th pick alone.  The move-ups on the 4th and 5th are there, but it's certainly something like we can live with.  

But as @BroncoBruin mentioned, what Cravens brings are that he's ready to help now - AND unlike the other players we've acquired, he's young and cost-controlled cheaply.   THAT is more important to the equation that what he brings for 2018 alone.     I do hope we continue to address ILB in the draft (and Joseph has already said this is the goal) - as ideally in 2019, we're aren't tied to Davis or Marshall because of lack of options - that was an awful reason to sign Davis IMO.   But this certainly helps shape not only our 2018 D, but gives us a potential way of getting better in our 2019+ cap hell we're facing.   

Veldheer was a stopgap, but a necessary one - because we can't let our QB get killed, no matter who it is.   This move, on the other hand, has very little risk, and we have really, really cheap cost control for 2019-20.   That's the type of move we have to keep doing, given we are still not a realistic contender, and have to think to 2019+.   Even if it fails, literally zero risk.   And the payoff is not just now, but potentially for 3 years.   Well done, Elway. 

I think this transaction and the transactions that have occurred over the last few weeks opens up the door for the Broncos to trade with the Bills for their two number ones.  

Unless, the rumors are true that the Broncos want Saquon...but, if they fear they can't get him...then the trade down makes the most sense.  

Good luck with Cravens. He is extremely talented and can tackle and cover TE/RBs well. If he can dedicate himself you guys come out on top of this trade. Most of the Redskins fan base had enough of him though. You don't quit on your team. Period. No excuse for what he did. The fact that Will Compton (you probably don't know who this is and you shouldn't) questioned his dedication says a lot. I wish him and you guys luck. I hope he pans out so our pick in 2020 goes up. ;)

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Good luck with Cravens. He is extremely talented and can tackle and cover TE/RBs well. If he can dedicate himself you guys come out on top of this trade. Most of the Redskins fan base had enough of him though. You don't quit on your team. Period. No excuse for what he did. The fact that Will Compton (you probably don't know who this is and you shouldn't) questioned his dedication says a lot. I wish him and you guys luck. I hope he pans out so our pick in 2020 goes up. ;)

Cheers.

I enjoyed the last Broncos/Redskins trade...Champ for Portis....seemed like an equitable trade.  

1 minute ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I enjoyed the last Broncos/Redskins trade...Champ for Portis....seemed like an equitable trade.  

You guys hosed us in that trade. We gave up a 2nd WITH Champ... Ugh. Portis did well, but he wasn't Champ Bailey.

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

You guys hosed us in that trade. We gave up a 2nd WITH Champ... Ugh. Portis did well, but he wasn't Champ Bailey.

haha...we drafted Tatum Bell with that second...a few years later he was selling cell phone at a Kiosk in a mall outside of Denver.  I thought Portis was awesome...but Champ did Champ things on some mediocre Bronco teams though...kind of a moot trade since none them went to a Championship...scratch that...Champ did when Manning and the Broncos got their a$$es kicked by the Seahawks.  

3 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

haha...we drafted Tatum Bell with that second...a few years later he was selling cell phone at a Kiosk in a mall outside of Denver.  I thought Portis was awesome...but Champ did Champ things on some mediocre Bronco teams though...kind of a moot trade since none them went to a Championship...scratch that...Champ did when Manning and the Broncos got their a$$es kicked by the Seahawks.  

I would have rather had Champ and Tatum Bell lol. Champ is one of my favorite Redskins of all time. He should have retired a Redskin, but its all mute at this point.

Back to the subject, I hope that Cravens works out for you guys. Just don't invest too much hope into him, he might be too far gone.

BTW, watch that video I linked. It was pretty sad that Compton (a no talent/all heart) was calling him out.

Archived