10 predictions heading into pre-season:

whodatworm23

1. Drew Brees will NOT throw for 5,000 yards this year.
While some may see it as more of a commitment to the running game or as the media will likely spin it, the loss of Brandin Cooks. The fact is that the Saints appear committed to a more balanced offensive attack in 2017 as they look to get back to their glory days of 2009 where the Saints won a Super Bowl while Brees actually threw for the least passing yards in his career as a Saint. 

2. Mark Ingram & Adrian Peterson will both rush for 1,000 yards.
I know this sounds crazy... I mean Mark Ingram became only the 2nd running back under Payton with the Saints to rush for 1,000 yards in a single season last year since Deuce McAllister did it in 2006. However it's just a hunch that I have that while Ingram will continue to receive the bulk of the carries and should churn out another 1,000 yard season, Peterson possesses the ability in this offensive system to break the 1,000 yard barrier with less carries do to his explosiveness. 3rd round pick Alvin Kamara could potentially wreck this prediction for me but I have a feeling that the rookie will be used as a situational piece early in his career. 

3. Michael Thomas will establish himself as one of the best receivers in the NFL.
I actually feel the Saints receiving corps is more defined now with Cooks gone. Brandon Coleman is coming on as a big time red zone target while Willie Snead is one of the better procession receivers in the NFL. Ted Ginn offers the deep speed element that is so important in Payton's offense without the drama Cooks brought at a fraction of the price. These three receivers along with tight end Colby Fleener all play a big part of what the Saints will do offensively in very specific roles on the team. Micheal Thomas is different. Since Sean Payton's arrival in New Orleans, Thomas is the first receiver he's had that truly possesses a #1 skill set. Thomas can do it all and I believe now that he's the clear cut #1 in this offense, Payton and Brees will put Thomas's talent on full display for the entire NFL to see. 

4. The Saints offensive line will quietly be one of the leagues best in 2017.
There may not be any superstars amongst this unit in 2017 but collectively this Saints offensive line will end up being very deep and versatile. Max Unger is one of the best centers in the NFL when healthy and should be ready for week 1. Andrus Peat is really settling in at LG while FA addition RG Larry Warford looks like a very sound investment thus far. Then their is the tackles where Terren Armstead is a pro-bowl talent when healthy and the Saints do expect him back at some point this year. Until then 1st round steal Ryan Ramczyk is there to pick up the slack while the Yoda of the group, longtime Saints cornerstone Zach Strief is back for what could possibly be his swan song. Key reserves like Sino Kelemente will also play a factor in this groups production as a whole in 2017. 

5. The Saints will once again field a top 5 NFL offense.
Despite a switch back to a more balanced philosophy, this Saints offense will still be extremely explosive and productive once again. The Saints have made it customary under Sean Payton and Drew Brees to end up in the top 5 rankings of NFL offense and I doubt that will change this upcoming season. 

6. Cameron Jordan and Sheldon Rankins will combine for 20 sacks.
I actually don't feel like this is as far fetched as I once thought. Both Jordan and Rankins will have very defined roles on defense and will both play a very high percentage of the defensive snaps this season. I currently have Jordan projected in the 12-14 sack range while Rankins in the 6-8 range. If this defense is going to make a leap forward this year it will need to start upfront and Jordan and Rankins will need to play their best if that is going to happen. I believe these guys are up to the task and will combine to break that 20 mark in 2017. 

7. Alex Anzalone will lead the Saints in tackles.
This might be might most far-fetched prediction yet... first Anzalone needs to secure the starting WILL linebacker job over former 1st round pick Stephone Anthony and veteran Craig Robertson who actually lead the team in tackles in 2016. Still the more I watch of Anzalone the more I like. He's very instinctual which is paramount for a linebacker in my opinion and he's very versatile which would allow him to be on the field in all of the Saints sub-packages. Yes his health is a concern but not as much as FA addition AJ Klein as far as it comes to making this prediction a reality. I love everything about Anzalone's game from this body type to his football IQ and his athleticism... time will tell if my intuition is right but if it is the Saints may have finally drafted a high impact linebacker. 

8. Marcus Williams will lead the Saints in INT's.
Another rookie defensive leader? Yep! Although this one may not be as big of a stretch. Williams is the definition of a ballhawking center fielder and he's very good at it. With the way the Saints deploy their "big Nickel" defensive alignment, Williams will see plenty of playing time even if he's not technically a starter and he'll be playing a position where his best attribute will be on full display. I'm currently projecting Williams to end the season with 4-5 interceptions which very well could be good enough to lead this team in that category when all is said and done. 

9. The Saints defense will finish the season as a top 20 unit.
I'm predicting a much improved defensive unit for the Saints in 2017. While I feel they will continue to struggle at times in certain areas, overall I feel this is a sound unit that is very capable of playing good TEAM defense and have the ability to turn the ball over consistently in a variety of ways. I expect a solid run defending unit upfront, much improved linebacker play and a very competitive and confident secondary play. The Saints commitment to becoming a more balanced offense will also aid this unit in their improvement as well.

10. The Saints will finish 2nd in the NFC South at 10-6 and earn a wildcard playoff berth.
I'm actually going against my better judgement here and predicting the Saints actually making the playoffs in 2017. For months I've considered this team at best a 8-8 ball club and it could still very well be but "Lady Luck" typically is what separates the 7-9 and 8-8 teams from the 9-7 and 10-6 teams. Think about the close games the Saints either won or lost in 2016. At least 3 of them could arguably be chalked up to blind luck in the end. Sure, I've always been a guy that felt you make your own luck and In a way I feel the Saints are doing that by having training camp back in Louisiana. Whether they want to admit it or not this team has gotten soft over the last few years. Battling the unrelenting humidity in South Louisiana will toughen this teams mental makeup once again. New coaches like Mike Nolan and Curtis Johnson bring knowledge, toughness and accountability back to the staff. Young coaches like Aaron Glenn and Ryan Nielsen add much needed enthusiasm and fire to it as well. By admitting these weaknesses to themselves and addressing them. The Saints have actually made their own luck in my opinion and it's for the better. Hopefully that luck is enough to get this team back into the playoffs... I'm thinking it will. 

WHODAT

Number - My take you your prediction - My prediction

1) Buy
2) Sell - This one, to me is your wildest prediction. I think they both hit around the 800 mark and Kamara will follow it up with another 300
3) Buy
4) Buy
5) Buy
6) Sell - They miss the mark at 19 sacks.
7) Sell - Anzalone is 3rd behind Klein and Vaccaro.
8) Push - He and Bell will tie with 4 apiece. 
9) Sell - Not this year, but next year they crack top 16.
10) Sell - I still think this is an 8-8 team, allowing for a couple injuries on each side of the ball. If we stay tremendously healthy (most teams that are successful are, or at least find large healthy streaks) then we could be a good team this year. 

5 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

If you had to guess which out of the 2 would hit 1000 yards rushing who are you taking... Ingram or Peterson? 

Ingram, but not by a lot. I think he has far more combined yards though.

On 8/11/2017 at 4:19 PM, BossierWhoDat said:

@whodatworm23 I can appreciate the level of detail you bring to many of yours posts and replies. Just wanted to point that out, keep it up brother.

I agree with your predictions except for 2, 7, and 9 - though I really hope you're right on ALL OF THEM 

Thanks but ill admit i was drinking when i predicted most of this... Lol

No way I see two Saints running backs hitting 1k yards in the same season.  I do agree with you that I think we're going to see a more balanced offensive attack, and will likely see a lot of rushing yards.  Hopefully we take some of the bulk load off Brees and he comes out very efficient.  However, this all depends on having a defense that isn't garbage.  If we're giving up 30 points in the first half, Brees will hit 5k yards again and throw the ball 650 times like always.  This also depends on Ted Ginn and Coby Fleener not dropping passes all season.

And lastly, it depends on our starters staying healthy because I don't like what I see from our depth players.

On 8/5/2017 at 8:40 AM, whodatworm23 said:

1. Drew Brees will NOT throw for 5,000 yards this year. 

2. Mark Ingram & Adrian Peterson will both rush for 1,000 yards.

3. Michael Thomas will establish himself as one of the best receivers in the NFL.

4. The Saints offensive line will quietly be one of the leagues best in 2017. 

5. The Saints will once again field a top 5 NFL offense. 

6. Cameron Jordan and Sheldon Rankins will combine for 20 sacks.

7. Alex Anzalone will lead the Saints in tackles. 

8. Marcus Williams will lead the Saints in INT's. 

9. The Saints defense will finish the season as a top 20 unit.

10. The Saints will finish 2nd in the NFC South at 10-6 and earn a wildcard playoff berth.

WHODAT

1. Buy - This benefits the Saints

2. Sell - Not possible with Payton

3. Buy - Slant King

4. Buy - Absolutely 

5. Buy - Water is wet. Lol

6. Sell - 15 total

7. Sell - Won't play enough

8. Buy - Not hard to do on this team

9. Sell - Can't polish a turd

10. Buy - Ill die if the Falcons win it again

Archived