TE Benjamin Watson signs with Saints

49erurtaza

He was pretty decent last year. Good blocker and despite being 36-37, was probably the best at reliably getting open among all our targets. That probably says more about the rest of our skill position players, but...

I would have liked him back in Baltimore.

Given the Saints' cap issues and the likely low commitment, this is a solid move.   I get that Jimmy Graham would have been the splashy signing, but he's a move TE, and basically down to sure RZ weapon, but an absolute zero in the blocking game.   Frankly, even being younger his injury risk isn't that much different than Watson's.

Watson has almost no ceiling, he's just a guy who is solid, but not spectacular.  He won't match Graham's RZ chops, which I know HC Payton would love to add, but in making the team a true contender, the Saints would be wiser to invest in their D,  as they aren't far away from being a true top 4 contender (they were there already last year, but man, the NFC big boys sure stepped up lol, so it's a matter of keeping up with them).

Solid move, underrated signing that will often pay off a lot more in hindsight.   I'll also look to use him in DFS for the right matchups, he'll have sneaky games to capitalize on, given his low salary. 

Archived