Jaguars acquire Cody Kessler

.Buzz

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

So it gets posted, and i'm gonna call it out as tire pumping because that's what it is.  And discussion and activity were indeed had.  Even if it was discussion of how silly and misleading that "statistic" is when it comes to Cody Kessler and his potential upside, and the sort of company he belongs in as a backup QB project.  xD

But you said things like that shouldn't get posted in here.

Also, looking back at history as far as rookie QB seasons and taking two meaningful statistics I wouldn't say is really tire pumping. It's not like it's some VERY narrow statistic that has little to do with the type of season as a whole he had. 

Kessler did look solid his rookie season. Does that mean he's anything more than a career backup? No. 

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Anyone else think its sad we have half as many pages about a garbage backup QB compared to Norwell. What makes him so damn special lol

What’s there to talk about with a Guard?

12 hours ago, .Buzz said:

But you said things like that shouldn't get posted in here.

Also, looking back at history as far as rookie QB seasons and taking two meaningful statistics I wouldn't say is really tire pumping. It's not like it's some VERY narrow statistic that has little to do with the type of season as a whole he had. 

Kessler did look solid his rookie season. Does that mean he's anything more than a career backup? No. 

I didn't say that.

I just said that it's silly, and comes across as misleading and a bit manipulative, with "analytics" bent to fit a Tire Pumping narrative.  Which is what it is.  If people want to post that kind of stuff, be my guest.  Heck, like @Speedyg said...even the Jaguars front office have semi-officially delved into those sort of analytics spin pieces to justify various things in the past.  It obviously spurs some discussion and activity and people are certainly entitled to their own opinions about the guy.  I'm just not into it, and i'm going to call it out as tire pumping when that's clearly what it reads as.

I'm not sure why you're backpedaling so hard here.  :S  You obviously shared that particular metric instead of a plethora of other possibilities, because it's tire pumpy and flattering; suggesting, "maybe there's more to this conditional 7th round pick acquisition after all!!!".  I really don't think you just randomly happened to select that one item out of a thousand with completely neutral intent.  That's cool though, you're optimistic about it.  You want to pump some tires.  Me, not so much in this case.  Disagreement happens, discussion ensues.  Voila!  3 pages later...about a potentially serviceable backup QB...we're gaining on the Titans!  It takes all types.  You don't get much interesting discussion when everyone just feels the same way about everything.

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I would think alot more since his role/impact is much larger than that of a scrub QB

OLine isn't a glamorous spot in the first place though.  And frankly, when they go out and pay big $$$ to the top veteran guy available at the position to get a stud that nearly everyone here likes in Norwell...the expectations are pretty much unanimously high.  When camp hits and we see how he actually gels with this line as a unit, and how the whole group performs...then we may have some things to talk about with him.  Until then however, it's pretty much just everyone hoping+expecting that he's going to be a Pro Bowl caliber interior lineman for us and noticeably upgrade the performance of the unit as a whole.  Not a lot to disagree about, not all that much to say or discuss that hasn't already been said.

Whereas there are apparently a bit of a range of different takes on our new backup/depth QB.  Which naturally spurs more discussion.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I didn't say that.

I just said that it's silly, and comes across as misleading and a bit manipulative, with "analytics" bent to fit a Tire Pumping narrative.  Which is what it is.  If people want to post that kind of stuff, be my guest.  Heck, like @Speedyg said...even the Jaguars front office have semi-officially delved into those sort of analytics spin pieces to justify various things in the past.  It obviously spurs some discussion and activity and people are certainly entitled to their own opinions about the guy.  I'm just not into it, and i'm going to call it out as tire pumping when that's clearly what it reads as.

I'm not sure why you're backpedaling so hard here.  :S  You obviously shared that particular metric instead of a plethora of other possibilities, because it's tire pumpy and flattering; suggesting, "maybe there's more to this conditional 7th round pick acquisition after all!!!".  I really don't think you just randomly happened to select that one item out of a thousand with completely neutral intent.  That's cool though, you're optimistic about it.  You want to pump some tires.  Me, not so much in this case.  Disagreement happens, discussion ensues.  Voila!  3 pages later...about a potentially serviceable backup QB...we're gaining on the Titans!  It takes all types.  You don't get much interesting discussion when everyone just feels the same way about everything.

That's all I've seen as far as statistics on my Twitter feed from those I follow regarding Kessler. No need to throw shade acting as if I'm just picking and choosing what I post here and never post anything negative. It's a backup QB. 

This was a tweet showing a positive correlation to rookie QBs and completion rate and co. I haven't said one time in this thread that he's any more than a cheap backup QB we got got little to possibly nothing. If that's "tire pumping", then we have quite a large different viewing of pumping up a guy.

Even Browns fans have said he's a nice young backup option for us. Are they pumping him up too?

Not going to get in a full fledged argument about a guy that I said was a nice young backup option we got for cheap on whether I'm too high on him for saying that or not. Waste of time. No idea how that even correlated into an argument yet here we are.

Good day.

Archived