2018 MLB GDT IT’S HEREEEEE

bigbadbuff23835

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'd rather give up very little for Hamels and Happ than a ton for a bigger name. We've got a lot of talented pitchers who could be called up this year to help. Why sell a big piece of the farm with how young our team is? Our window isn't closing.

If he's being sold at a discount, sure.

Because, like you said our window isn’t closing either way. Giving up Frazier/Sheffield isn’t going to not make us a contender either way. I’d rather get that bonafide Ace (in this case number 2B| Sevy <3) and get to a World Series this year. I see where you’re coming from too, but Hamels and Happ aren’t moving the needle for me. At that point I’d rather just keep everything, not make a move and roll with a 3 rotation in the playoffs and trust our pen. 

Nationals season is effectively over. It's not the injuries. It's not the cold bats. It's not the shakey pen.

It's simply a complacency that gas consumed this team since the end of last year.

So many mental mistakes.  Bad base running,  poor decisions on steal attempts, taking pitches against strike throwers, trying to swing against guys who struggle with control, poor fielding, bad decision making on throws.... the list goes on. Davey Martinez cant survive this. Hes been lax from day. It started with that stupid camel stunt and snowballed when he let Ryan Zimmerman skip Spring Training.

33 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Because, like you said our window isn’t closing either way. Giving up Frazier/Sheffield isn’t going to not make us a contender either way. I’d rather get that bonafide Ace (in this case number 2B| Sevy <3) and get to a World Series this year. I see where you’re coming from too, but Hamels and Happ aren’t moving the needle for me. At that point I’d rather just keep everything, not make a move and roll with a 3 rotation in the playoffs and trust our pen. 

I'd rather see what Sheffield can become. Even with Adams bombing this year, we have Sheffield, Swanson, Acevedo, and Tate who all have the potential to contribute. Why rush it? Happ or Hamels would hold us over this year (Happ is currently pitching better). We don't need an ace. I'd love to have one, but if we had a consistent #3, we could still contend for it all. And we could do that without giving up all this up-and-coming talent we have.

2 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Keep the kids. Thats the mantra.

Going forward - Mr. Gray cant be considered part of the equation - or an answer to it at least. This guy's got AJ Burnett written all over him: good when playing for a team that plays games that dont matter.

From ESPN:

On the road this season, Gray has a 3.28 ERA and has allowed just two home runs. He has walked 2.51 batters per nine innings and struck out 9.26. At Yankee Stadium, he has an 8.25 ERA and has allowed seven homers, including Saturday's first-inning grand slam to Red Sox third baseman Rafael Devers. He has walked 5.75 batters per nine innings at home and struck out only 6.25.

Thats almost enough to put a dagger in his NYY career right there - but then figure in how BOS manhandles him. How can we count on this guy?

From the NY Post:

The Yankees have lost all four of Gray’s starts these past two years against the Red Sox. His ERA of 9.35 is the third worst (minimum four starts) by a Yankee against Boston, behind Jose Contreras (16.43) and Andy Hawkins (14.44) and ahead of Sidney Ponson (9.17) and Burnett (7.29).Aaron Boone takes Sonny Gray out in the third inning of the Yankees’ 11-0 loss Saturday. Contreras and Burnett stand out as starters who seduced the Yankees with great stuff, just as Gray did. The Yankees eventually traded Contreras and Burnett, in part because of their inadequacy against Boston.

Gray's not a rookie - he's a five year vet with a career 53-48 record. It was believed his "stuff" was simply lost playing for perennial loser OAK. I remember hearing similar things about Burnett: "He's recognized to have such good stuff...one of the best curves in the game......how can he be pitching this poorly?" (as he unleashes another wild pitch). Well history's proven that not everybody's stuff can stand up to the pressure competition of pitching for the NYY in the ALEast.

Gray fits that bill for me and he'll have to prove me wrong. Bet he cant do it.

Just read about Romine's hamstring scare..........which suddenly makes the NYY catcher situation pretty serious.

I was okay with Romine filling in for Sanchez - who I hope is taking this time to get right in more ways than one - but we definitely cant be losing Romine to the DL. He's gotta put some miles in......

"No. 3 backstop Higashioka was summoned from Triple-A Scranton to replace Sanchez. The Bombers have no other catchers on their 40-man roster. They had veteran Erik Kratz, but traded him to Milwaukee in late May."

To a certain extent, I always felt there was just a bit of a smoke & mirrors quality to the NYY success. Our pitching staff wasnt overpowering or deep and we had a bunch of lineup regulars we were far from producing at kick *** levels - yet we've been hanging tough and pounding out W's. Well - we cant be compounding things now with more injuries.

Look at the LAA. They're a disabled list pretending to be a major league roster.

I hope Romine gets back fully healthy....quick.

After all....what will Sonny do without him?

3 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

So, the Yankees & Red Sox trade ***-whoopings. A close one tomorrow, surely?

Severino is pitching tomorrow, I think. So I'd be surprised if the Yankees give up a bunch of runs again.

Archived